mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Heading to Rocky Knob, quick advice requested

I'll be heading up from FL to NC and staying near Rocky Knob and the bike is going with me. To that end, I have a quick question.

Not sure what kind of climbing this park has. My bike is a 29er Giant Anthem set up with 1x10 gearing. My cassette is 11-36 and my chainring is a 34. Am I OK with this setup or should I throw my stock 26&38 chainrings back on and go back to a 2x10?

ready to ride
    Unfortunately I haven't ridden rocky knob yet so I can't comment directly but I have watched some videos of folks going downhill and looked at the maps. Hope to change that next weekend. I think it is safe to say there will be some climbing involved.

I think it is up to you to answer what is the right gearing for you. Lots of people here run 1x10. Personally I like having the granny gear. I don't use it a whole lot but when I do I sure am glad I have it. Also coming from FL you may not be used to the climbs we have here.

It it were me I would bring my 2x10. If you don't end up needing the lower gears, the oh well you had them if you needed them. If you brought your 1x10 setup and it turned out that you needed lower gearing it could ruin or certainly put a damper on your good time.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Good call. I may also explore some fire roads to put in some miles near where I'm staying, and who knows what I'll encounter. Better safe than sorry...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There is plenty of climbing at RKP, but enough grade changes to give you a break when you need it. I have a 34-20 SS that I regularly ride to the top, but also have a beefier trail bike too and I happily use its standard triple and granny. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I made it to the top (twice!) with a 32t chainring and 12-36 cassette on my 28 pound 650b bike. I'm not a super strong climber, and I was a bit tired, but it's definitely doable!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

How is RKP? I've seen videos, looks fun. Don't know that my 100mm suspension 29er will be ideal, but the Anthem is a pretty versatile bike so it should be ok I imagine.

mtbr member
    I ride the boat rock loop up to old Hoss (top of the park) with 32x 34 650b wheels.
    Its a tough climb for me(mid 40's could lose 10 pounds) But very doable.
    Rocky Knob is a ton of fun, you will have a blast! If weather permits you should hit up Warriors Creek in Wilkesboro as well. 12 mile flow loop that wears me out more than R.K. because you end up riding faster and further.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

Rogue Exterminator
    Simple way to answer your question.

If you need gears in Florida, you will need more gears here.

Take that for what it is worth.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    How is RKP? I've seen videos, looks fun. Don't know that my 100mm suspension 29er will be ideal, but the Anthem is a pretty versatile bike so it should be ok I imagine.

Nobody rides these parts unless they have 160mm of travel.
    You better buy a new bike.

j/k

I have 100mm on my hard tail and 120 mm on the full suspension and although I have not rode RKP, I have rode way worse on both bikes. May take it slower, may get off occasionally but I still ride it. The one guy that handed me my ass the most was on a rigid bike if that tells you anything. (I am no slouch and he could run circles around me)
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    I have they reverse mullet. Party in the front 120mm and business in the back 100mm. Ok maybe I just have bangs. Either way you should be fine.

I still stick with my original suggestion that you bring more gear than you might actually need.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks everyone. I am going to put the 2x10 back on the bike, looking forward to the trip for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here's a link to GPS file so you can see what it's like. This is the ride to the top including 'Ol Hoss. Suffice to say whichever trails you choose, there's about 150 feet per mile of climbing. The trails just get more technical as you climb the knob.

RKP 'Ol Hoss - Watauga County, NC

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Awesome thanks!