Heading to F.A.T.S
Heading to F.A.T.S this friday and was looking for a little insight on trail order. I've looked at the SORBA site but was hoping for a little info on preferred direction of travel and the best way to link the routes. I know I want to hit brown wave and other than that I'm open to suggestions.
My favorite route is the following, can be split into two sections if you don't like long rides:
- Start at main trailhead, take a right onto Deep Step (CCW), ride to the split and go right which takes you to the road, then ride up to Tower/Big Rock.
- Go LEFT at that trailhead which takes you CW on the first half of Big Rock, take a left onto Tower and ride the loop CCW, when you loop back around, hit the second half of Big Rock CW. The end of this loop is IMO the best downhill in FATS. For an added bonus, once back at the trailhead you can take the fireroad back to the top of that downhill run for another go.
- Take the road back to Deep Step to finish the loop. Head back to the main trailhead to complete your ride/have lunch/etc, or continue riding.
- Take a right onto Great Wall and ride that CCW, continuing onto Skinny which you also ride CCW.
- When you get to Brown Wave, go LEFT and ride the loop CW. About halfway through is the second best downhill in FATS, and again you can take the next fireroad crossing back to the top for repeats.
I run SS, last time I was there did 32x20 on my 29er, could have had more downhill fun with 32x18 but ended up doing 35mi 2 days in a row at 11.5mph avg so I was happy to be running 32x20.
Big Rock CCW DH is way better than the Big Rock CW DH. It has 3-4 good runs on it that are quality. CW has a longer run, but I don't like it as much as the 3-4 runs that the CCW direction has. I'd rather climb that long steady grade, and come down the steeper/faster grades on the CCW side.
A left onto any loop from the outside of the loop is the CW direction....everytime. Tower is really good either direction. This "left" onto Tower feels more like going straight, then a left. But if you ride directly across the gas line as you get on Tower, you are going CW. To go CCW, you have to turn right at the gas lines and you will climb to the firetower (which isn't obvious, but is there if you look for it.)
I have always liked five of the loops better CCW, with Tower being a toss up. I have been hearing alot of clamor lately about Brown Wave CW....and I'd agree it is very good. I don't ride the bottom 3 loops very often and spend most of my time on Deep Step, Big Rock and Tower.
A really good DH at FATS is the start of Great Wall CCW. It's about a mile which is really long for a trail that sits at 400 feet above sea level. The Brown Wave Proper is another good DH, and it is the CCW direction that takes you down to the river. Tower CCW from the firetower to across the gas lines is really good (long for around here) to go down. But I also like to climb it.
Friday should be perfect. We got alot of rain last 36 hours but needed it desperately.
Agreed. This has always been one of my favorite sections of trail.
Originally Posted by seenvic