mtbr member

Hawksnest Hawkoween DH/DS race+freeride day

Hey folks, just a heads up that this weekend is our last race EVER at hawksnest resort AKA the Dirty Bird. This place has been an awesome step in the right direction for southeast DH trails and racing but its just not working out for the mountain so this is it. We're doing dual slalom and downhill racing on saturday so we can have the trails open for EVERYBODY on sunday. Costumes are encouraged and we will be happily handing out time penalties in the DH race for people that don't like to have fun. For those of you that haven't checked out the bird, this is your last chance. This is true NC downhill full of rocks and roots but spiced up with manmade jumps and berms.

Pricing:

DH- $35
    DS-$15
    DH+DS-$45
    Sunday DH runs-$15 (these riders have to be insured and contribute to shuttle rental just like racers, otherwise it would be cheaper)

Schedule:

Saturday: DS practice 8 am, qualis at 9. We'll take top 16 and we'll be running it just elite/am/women (open age categories). Slalom can really take up a LOT of time if its broken up too much, and this is all about fun. NO DH SHUTTLES DURING SLALOM SO BE A GOOD MOUNTAIN BIKER AND DO BOTH! THAT'S WHY WE'RE MAKING IT CHEAP!

DH shuttles/practice will start as soon as slalom is over, racing at 4 pm.

Sunday: Shuttles starting at 9 am and going as long as people want to ride. 4 DIFFERENT DH TRACKS TO RIDE!

DH classes: Elite, Am, Beginner, Jr, Masters, Women (will be one women's class unless enough of ya show up to do otherwise...c'mon ladies!). I encourage fast jr's to race elite. You know who you are!

We'll have wristbands for the shuttle for sunday so don't get any ideas We may have to tape off saturday's race course on sunday to keep dangerous intersections down but mostly we'll just have to trust you guys to be safe, courteous, and alert while a lot of folks are on the mountain.

http://vimeo.com/4415654

banned
    Yet another long week to wait

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Yet another long week to wait
    You'll shoot your eye out!

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBirdRaceProductions
    our last race EVER at hawksnest resort
    so DBRP why is this the Last Race ever @ hawksnest. seems like you guys have put a lot of time and effort to build some nice trails up there, and they're not going to be used? ever?

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    Bummer to hear this will be the last race up there. I had ton of fun at the last one despite the rain, and I'll be in elsewhere pisgah this weekend. I'd like to say thanks for all the hard work you and your crew have put in up there. You've done good things for southern gravity riding and I hope you can continue your endevours if some other venue ever ends up working out.
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

spec4life???..smh...
    We had a collegiate race up there a month ago and I heared the owners were more than a little upset at some of the things that went on as far as parking in places they shouldnt or so on. I know one came to me and told us to move my truck which I did but everyone else parked in the same places didnt move. I heard this was part of the reason they decided not to hold any more races.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    We had a collegiate race up there a month ago and I heared the owners were more than a little upset at some of the things that went on as far as parking in places they shouldnt or so on. I know one came to me and told us to move my truck which I did but everyone else parked in the same places didnt move. I heard this was part of the reason they decided not to hold any more races.

The owners up there don't need much of an excuse to get pissed off about bikers. The collegiate race was the straw that broke the camel's back. Its more of a money issue. We're just not able to give them the $$$$$$ for all of their "trouble" in putting on the races. (btw they don't do ANYTHING but let us use the hill. everything down to the insurance and shuttle trucks are paid for out of pocket and we do it ALL). They just aren't interested in mountain biking at all and we were honestly pretty lucky to even get as far as we have. They just really didn't know what they were getting into when they gave us permission to have our first race. A real shame considering if they put in a bit of effort they could have the only bike park south of snowshoe in the SE. Oh well, water under the bridge. Should be a fun weekend.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    If I pay the shuttle fees can i use my own truck
    To get more runs in if it is busy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    If I pay the shuttle fees can i use my own truck
    To get more runs in if it is busy?
    We have to keep traffic down on the road but we might be able to do that if its really busy and you're willing to take other folks up as well.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Sugar hasn't had a race since collegiate nationals and now Hawksnest. Not trying to blame collegiate riders, but timing sure stunk in both instances.

Something else will come along, I'm sure. Maybe the owner will re-think his stance over the winter after pocketing several million in tubing revenue. I know Orville used to always be really perky in the spring when we went to discuss the new season's races.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    whaaa? cottom got mad about something?? dude is an idiot. ive dealt with him on more than one occasion. Im surprised the dirty bird lasted as long as it did.

hawks nest "ain't" what it use to be.
    "Everyday around 5 o'clock i begin to think about what I'm going to eat for dinner." -Geezer

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    any direction as to some good DH/freeride areas to ride up near beech/surrounding areas?

mtbr member
    Sugar mtn has lift access all summer on the weekends from 10am til 5pm. Bikes are no longer allowed at hawksnest and DH trails are currently under construction at Beech for two races this year. A qualifier in august and US Gravity Nationals in September. However riding DH is only allowed on those dates this year. I bike park style format is in the works though.
    Other than Sugar there are a few shuttle friendly trails in Wilson Creek. Asheville has a pretty good dh scene but I never ride down there.

Some Assembly Required
    Least we forget, "Wilson'z sux".
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"