Custom User Title

GPS files for Pisgah?

does anyone have a source for GPS files to help navigate Pisgah?

thanks alot for any tips and/or leads
    Last edited by Bill Payer; 09-18-2006 at 11:23 AM.
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

mtbr member
    GPS in Pisgah is useless, you cannot pick a signal in most places because of tree cover. Get a map instead, it is very accurate, all trails are signed. If the trail is not on the map (not signed), it is not legal so do not take it. The map is also cheaper than GPS ...

A good place to start is: http://www.mtbikewnc.com/ for shorter rides (under 20 miles)and http://www.mtngoatepics.com/epics.htm for long rides (30 - 50 miles).
    Last edited by prajc; 09-18-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Custom User Title
    thanks for the tip. tis true the map is great, but even with it in hand there were several head scratching moments and a couple poor decisions made.

The trail system is well mapped and signed but even still, to an outsider I think the locals fail to appreciate the confusion that goes on. There were alot of unmaked intersections, I suppose those were probably illegal trails, but no less confusing. We went way to far up Laural Mountain I think, since we ended up on hiking only trail before coming down Pilot Rock ... I think. While there, we ran into a frantic group of 4 riders that felt they were going in loops, looking to us for directions. HA! about 15 minutes later we were riding Pilot Cove / Slate Rock backwards

we did pull out the GPS last year a couple times for basic North, South type stuff. We ended up on a bald peak in the Bent Creek area with unmarked trails/roads in 4 directions... all very downhill. Even a compass at that point would have done but it saved our dumb butts there from a major backtrack.

It is an awesome system and it is super marked/mapped. But, no matter what you do, dumb newbies like me will get lost...just looking to minimize it. I think we will carry map and GPS and try to get my hands on some digital maps... since it is already bought anyway. If nothing else it give us something to play with while we catch our breaths.

mtbr member
    I agree Bill, even with the maps Pisgah is a b*tch to navigate to newbies... I've gotten turned around more than once even w/ a map. Lots of unmarked trails, and I don't beleive they're all illegal either.

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you go to www.motionbased.com click on trail networks and search pisgah you can find lots of tracks you can export to your gpshttp://trail.motionbased.com/trail/n...digest/view.mb

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icy
    If you go to www.motionbased.com click on trail networks and search pisgah you can find lots of tracks you can export to your gpshttp://trail.motionbased.com/trail/n...digest/view.mb

thanks dude, that site is pretty awesome

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    HA! about 15 minutes later we were riding Pilot Cove / Slate Rock backwards
    Backwards? There are plenty of trails that I would hate to reverse direction on, but this isn't one of them. On this particual trail, the more steep climb up and the more sustained downhill is probably what you're calling backward. Personally, I prefer it that direction.

As to finding your way in Pisgah, the map and some exploratory trips is really what it takes. Or maybe hook up with a local rider(s) to point you in the right direction. The elevation profiles don't tell the whole story. You really need to see it for yourself to decide which ways you like to go. Other people's routes or guidebooks aren't going to tell you that. Best of luck.
    Long Live Long Rides