Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314

    Greensboro - Need some input

    So I may have an opportunity to transfer to Greensboro with my job here in the next couple of months. I'm pretty much desperate to move out of Houston so I'm strongly considering this. I'll also have an opportunity to transfer to the west coast (where I really want to be), but that won't be until 2014.

    Basically I need to know if this move would be worth it, and maybe find out a little more about Greensboro from some of you locals.

    So far I've found the trails listed on this page:Trail Map | Greensboro Fat Tire Society Does that pretty much sum up all of what's there? I'm not really into XC, but I have to admit, Owl's Roost and Wild Turkey look like fun from the YouTube vids I've seen. A lot better than what I have here in Houston. Also "The Zone" looks like a fun place to ride, I like DH and DJ and all of that. Any other hidden gems left off the map?

    My ideal situation is to have a home trail that I can literally ride my bike to from home. Are there a lot of residential areas surrounding these trails that would make that possible?

    Another question I have is about crime. I know crime is everywhere, but how bad is it really in Greensboro? Are there certain parts of town I should avoid? Are the areas around the trails safe?

    Since I've gotten into gravity riding recently, I'm wondering where the closest bike park is (lift assisted)? I'm pretty sure there isn't one in all of NC, but I'm wondering how far I'd have to drive on my summer vacation to get my DH fix.

    Any input is appreciated. Feel free to enlighten me on anything from culture to weather as well, since I pretty much don't know anything about NC. I just know it's not Texas and that's enough to peak my interest.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    618
    All of the trails are on the NW side of town.
    I live literally a mile from the Wild Turkey trailhead and a mile from Country Park. Really solid urban trails. Not epic, omg-these are the greatest, but good, flowy, pretty flat trails that kinda roll along.

    The truly great things about Greensboro:
    35+ miles of trails described above that if you buy in the right spot you can ride to.
    A number of good shops....you can find the right fit for you.
    Tight groups that ride together.
    Close proximity to some really good trails: 1:30 to N. Wilkesboro (home of the Burn 6 hour and 6 hours of Warrior Creek), another 45" past them to Rocky Knob, 45" or so to Uwharrie, 1:30 to Va. mtns, 2:30 to parts of Pisgah.

    A lot of people will try to spin our trails as great - they are not. They are very good for an "urban" area.
    The Zone is fun - very, very short run but you can get off the ground and have a good time.

    The cost of living is low, the town small but has a lot of amenities of a big town w/o the traffic and crime. The winters are mild and you can ride year round.

    Overall, if you're an mtb'r it's a really solid place.

  3. #3
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Gsomtb, thanks for the reply, that is some good info.

    You mention 35+ miles of trails, how many of those are connecting?

    As far as living near the trails, I'll point out I will not be buying a home there. Instead I'll be looking for a room for rent. Maybe you could give me the names of some of the surrounding neighborhoods so I could use that in my search.

    The trails not being epic or the greatest is cool with me. I'm just looking for a short term escape from Houston before I eventually move to the west coast. That's when I'll have some epic riding.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    618
    I'm afraid I mispoke a bit: if you do the main trails - the watershed trails as we call them - out and back you have roughly a 35m ride. Owl's Roost, Wild Turkey, Reedy Fork, Blue Heron, Kingfisher.

    They are not exactly connected but rather are 1/4m or so of greenway or road between them.

    It's kinda the nicer side of town so I'm thinking it might be hard to find just a room for rent.
    Try any of the apartments on N. Battleground Ave, Lake Brandt Rd., or Old Battleground Rd. Lake Brandt Apts or Lincoln Green Apts.will put you a stone's throw form the trail heads.

    Feel free to pm me........

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    All but one of the Greensboro trails can be connected (Bald Eagle excluded) none of the trails are loops. You can link all of the by the greenway. Look for a place in the Burmil area and you will be centrally located. Other trail near Greensboro include Moores Springs trail, Hobby Park & Tanglewood.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    54
    Trails in GSO are very nice for day to day riding. We are so lucky to have such a nice sytem here. If you are looking for DH trails, its 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hrs drive to the mountains of NC and VA. Some good stuff up there!! Lift assisted is Snowshoe WV which is approx. 5 hrs(maybe less). Fun Fun!!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    213
    The trails around Greensboro leave a bit to be desired in terms of AM, and DH riding. All the trails are XC oriented, but have flow for the most part. There are some DJ spots that are good if you're in to that sort of thing. Charlotte, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh have some cool trail systems that step up the gnarly factor. As mentioned above Wilkesboro, and in particular Dark Mt. offer trails that are flowy, fast, and have the potential for some sweet airtime. Rocky Knob is sick too, but I would have to say that the Ashville area is the true mecca for mountain bikers. Being able to visit that area once in a while is definitely worth the move. Check out Dupont State Forest (lots of slick rock), Bent Creek (Green's Lick is my fav.), and Pisgah (Black Mt., Buckwheat Knob, the list goes on...). Also a lot of great mirco brews around that area. Most of this is doable as a day trip from Greensboro.

  8. #8
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb View Post
    I'm afraid I mispoke a bit: if you do the main trails - the watershed trails as we call them - out and back you have roughly a 35m ride. Owl's Roost, Wild Turkey, Reedy Fork, Blue Heron, Kingfisher.

    They are not exactly connected but rather are 1/4m or so of greenway or road between them.

    It's kinda the nicer side of town so I'm thinking it might be hard to find just a room for rent.
    Try any of the apartments on N. Battleground Ave, Lake Brandt Rd., or Old Battleground Rd. Lake Brandt Apts or Lincoln Green Apts.will put you a stone's throw form the trail heads.

    Feel free to pm me........
    1/4 mile is nothing. You can't link any of the trails in Houston because they're nowhere near each other so having a cluster of trails like that would be awesome for spending several hours on the bike.

    You'd be surprised where rooms for rent pop up. I haven't checked CL yet but I will soon to see what might be available. An apartment will be last resort, however living within riding distance to the trail heads will be a must if I move out there so if I have to get an apartment so be it. Thanks for recommending some streets to search by.

  9. #9
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricker Joe View Post
    All but one of the Greensboro trails can be connected (Bald Eagle excluded) none of the trails are loops. You can link all of the by the greenway. Look for a place in the Burmil area and you will be centrally located. Other trail near Greensboro include Moores Springs trail, Hobby Park & Tanglewood.
    I checked out those other trails you mentioned, they all look pretty good. They don't look too far from Greensboro on a map, but what would you say is a realistic drive time to get to them?

  10. #10
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    If you are looking for DH trails, its 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hrs drive to the mountains of NC and VA. Some good stuff up there!! Lift assisted is Snowshoe WV which is approx. 5 hrs(maybe less). Fun Fun!!
    Are those DH trails ones that you'd have to shuttle? Any trail names you could give me so I can check them out on YouTube?

    I was hoping there'd be a lift assisted bike park closer, but 5 hours beats the 15 hours it takes me to get to Angel Fire from Houston.

  11. #11
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
    The trails around Greensboro leave a bit to be desired in terms of AM, and DH riding. All the trails are XC oriented, but have flow for the most part. There are some DJ spots that are good if you're in to that sort of thing. Charlotte, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh have some cool trail systems that step up the gnarly factor. As mentioned above Wilkesboro, and in particular Dark Mt. offer trails that are flowy, fast, and have the potential for some sweet airtime. Rocky Knob is sick too, but I would have to say that the Ashville area is the true mecca for mountain bikers. Being able to visit that area once in a while is definitely worth the move. Check out Dupont State Forest (lots of slick rock), Bent Creek (Green's Lick is my fav.), and Pisgah (Black Mt., Buckwheat Knob, the list goes on...). Also a lot of great mirco brews around that area. Most of this is doable as a day trip from Greensboro.
    On a whole, NC seems to have a lot of quality mountain biking. I'd already heard of the Asheville area and seen some pictures of those trails, they look pretty amazing. I'd be looking forward to many a weekend trip to get out and explore other trails.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhouskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Are those DH trails ones that you'd have to shuttle? Any trail names you could give me so I can check them out on YouTube?

    I was hoping there'd be a lift assisted bike park closer, but 5 hours beats the 15 hours it takes me to get to Angel Fire from Houston.
    Lift assist DH: Snowshoe Mountain - Bike Park

    An option to consider if willing to drive some:

    DJ's: lake crabtree dirt jump videos - Yahoo! Video Search
    Lake Crabtree County Park: Lake Crabtree County Park

  13. #13
    Less talk, more ride...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    223
    Don't forget Angler's Ridge in Danville, VA. About an hour north of Greensboro. Over 30 miles of singletrack. Info here, The Southern Virginia Mountain Bike Association.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

  14. #14
    CrgCrkRyder
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,127
    I sometimes visit the Greensboro trails for something different or work it into a job related trip. Trails are well built and hook together nicely from the Lake Brandt greenway.

    A couple of hours north in the Roanoke VA area there is Carvins Cove and a lot of other more vertical riding. Most is pedal to the top AM type riding with all the rocks you want to tackle. The Cove has some FR type riding on the Trough trail. There is some FR stuff in Bedford and some being built at Liberty Mountain in Lynchburg.

    I strictly trail ride, but these guys are into the FR/DH stuff in a big way.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/212779815464313/?fref=ts

    There maybe a group more connected to the Greensboro area, I just don't know about them. Good Luck

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    31
    And don't forget about Moore's Spring Trails in Stokes Co. near Danbury!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    54
    Most DH is pedaling to the top around here. We do shuttles, but is more of an all mountain ride rather than just DH. CCR mentioned Carvins Cove in ROA....big climbs to the top, but some fast DH. A very fun place to ride!!

  17. #17
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    I have to admit I'm pretty excited about the idea of moving out there. Even in just a years time I'd get to see and experience so much in terms of mountain biking. So many places to ride all within what seems like a 3 hour drive or less (not counting Snowshoe).

    Speaking of Snowshoe, is that the closest place to ski/board as well? I've never been snowboarding, but can't wait to try it out.

  18. #18
    Fence guru
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    651
    Beech mtn will have lift assisted riding in 2013! In nc
    Wilson's has some pretty badass backwoods am/dh traisl too 1:30 from gso

  19. #19
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    Beech mtn will have lift assisted riding in 2013! In nc
    Wilson's has some pretty badass backwoods am/dh traisl too 1:30 from gso
    Are you talking about lift assisted mountain bike riding at Beech Mtn??

  20. #20
    Fence guru
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    651
    Yes of the downhill variety

  21. #21
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Sweet.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    54
    Seeing the Nationals at Beech last year was a pretty cool deal. Its full of chunky terrain up there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •