mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Green's lick mileage?

Hey all,
    We'll be driving through Asheville tomorrow and will have time for a ~2 hour ride. From what I've seen Green's lick looks to be the trail to ride, but I am having trouble getting an idea of total mileage, including the climb to the trail head. Also how long should we plan to ride the whole trail?
    Thanks in advance!
    www.bikerumor.com
    All the best cycling news, tech, rumors and reviews with coverage of the bicycle industry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    For me (avg overweight 41 yr old guy), 1:45 ride =
    Park at first lot on right (Rice Pinnacle)- ride Deer Lake Lodge>Wolf Branch>R on gravel road>L on Ingles Field Gap>L on N. Boundary>L on Greens Lick>L on Sidehill (rocky climb to start, but mellows)>str. on Little Hickory Top>R on Ingles Field Gap>R on gravel>L on Wolf Branch and out to car. IMO, gives you best singletrack climbs and descents in Bent Creek. Enjoy.
    Tim

Official Cooler Inspector
    "L on N. Boundary" ? T, do you mean at Five Points?

Friend of mine rode from here Sunday and said they'd done some sort of scraping on the long North Boundary (135) roadbed and it was "soft & sinky". Anyone know about this?

I live near Rice Pinnacle and usually go up Ingles (150 - T's route) or the IF Connector (145/150A - easiest) to Five Points. Another option - once you get to the bottom of GL, is to turn right, hit 479 to Explorer (337A) and meander around the lake. That usually lands around the 12 mile/2 hour mark.

Have fun!
    Crack myself up: "I wait till the opossum hits the deck water dish to call it a night."

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm
    Park at first lot on right (Rice Pinnacle)- ride Deer Lake Lodge>Wolf Branch>R on gravel road>L on Ingles Field Gap>L on N. Boundary>L on Greens Lick>L on Sidehill (rocky climb to start, but mellows)>str. on Little Hickory Top>R on Ingles Field Gap>R on gravel>L on Wolf Branch and out to car. IMO, gives you best singletrack climbs and descents in Bent Creek. Enjoy.
    Tim
    I 2nd this route.

pronounced may-duh
    Tim

Another vote for this route. You get the 2 best downhills in Bent Creek,

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    Yep. It's a left if you're looking at the map. Didn't want to say right fork on the left side, confuse him and send him back down the hill.
    Tim

Bike Dork

Friend of mine rode from here Sunday and said they'd done some sort of scraping on the long North Boundary (135) roadbed and it was "soft & sinky". Anyone know about this?

Rode it Sunday morning. The first 1500 feet from 5 Points seems to have had additional crushed gravel put down. It looks like they tried to compact it with some sort of skidder. There are parallel furrows about 1.5-2" deep spaced about 10" apart up the whole length. It was difficult to keep the wheels from dropping into these furrows/ruts. That being said, it's only for a short length of N. Boundary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the quick responses guys. Anyone have a preferred place to pick up a map? Fatz?
    www.bikerumor.com
    All the best cycling news, tech, rumors and reviews with coverage of the bicycle industry.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue22
    Thanks for the quick responses guys. Anyone have a preferred place to pick up a map? Fatz?
    yep.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    yep.
    CORPORATE SHILL!!!!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by bus_142
    CORPORATE SHILL!!!!
    Youknowme! That's just how I roll. Didn't you break a nail or something?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    Youknowme! That's just how I roll. Didn't you break a nail or something?
    yeah, outta commission for a while. ACL reconstruction last wednesday.

Thread Killer

I live near Rice Pinnacle and usually go up Ingles (150 - T's route) or the IF Connector (145/150A - easiest) to Five Points. Another option - once you get to the bottom of GL, is to turn right, hit 479 to Explorer (337A) and meander around the lake. That usually lands around the 12 mile/2 hour mark.

Have fun!
    +1 on the Explorer option. You'll climb a bit to the trailhead, and then a short uphill will spill you out to the downhill to the lake. Hard Times Connector from that direction is super fast and flowy now with the rebuild to get you back to your car.

Like as not, you'll run into someone out there who can provide directions. And as much as the 780 map is gold around here, the Bent Creek-specific map is probably a bit better for this application.

North Boundary isn't in too bad of shape -- but bigger tires were better, IMHO. It's a bit on the soft side.

ready to ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Tim

how would i get to the trial head from chattanooga tn.
    this sounds like a ride i want to do, soon....
    need some good directions please from chattanooga....