Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Greenline trail ?

Four of us are heading down to Pisgah from Michigan to get in 3 days of riding. Looking for the best trails. I've heard about a new trail called Greenline or Greens lick? From the Hardtimes tailhead. Any one know about it and directions to it? Sounds like the kind of trail we want to do. Most likely we'll do Black Mountain, maybe try Bent Creek(never been there) and maybe ride the Hardtimes area for a day. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks.
    Last edited by Flash; 10-24-2006 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out this website for info on all WNC riding, it is a great resource. www.mtbikewnc.com. Here you will find directions to Green's Lick, as well as most of the other trails in Pisgah. You could spend a day at Bent Creek ( Hardtimes trailhead is in Bent Creek), one day around Black Mountain (Davidson River area), and then check out Mills River area on day three.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Trying to get info is kinda tough because you guys are sreiously blessed with sweet trails.
    Some reviews of Bent Creek say its too easy and others say it great so it's tough to tell. I am thinking also about Kitsuma. Thanks, I'll check into the Mills River area too.

mtbr member
    Mr. Flash- some Michigan reference points to help you out:

1) Most of Bent Creek= PLRA or Poto. Fast, XC/hardtail friendly trails with some jumps, roots and rocks. Much longer, less windy than comparison, however.
    2) Green's Lick= downhill course at Boyne, maybe? The Gemini at Cedar Point? Seriously, there's nothing like it...2-3 miles of fast descending with huge air available (there's a sweet tabletop at the bottom that is gap-able) but rideable by total rookies.
    3) The rest of Pisgah= Highland Rec or Marquette area trails are the closest I've ridden, but still nothing like it in MI that I've done. The biggest difference is the length of both the climbs and descents. A highly recomended ride, for example, would be up Clawhammer Road, down Black Mountain Trail- but that's about a 7 mile steep fireroad that mostly climbs followed by an equally long, highly techincal trail that's mostly steep descending but includes some impossible-to-ride hike-a-bikes and stellar stellar views.

Don't know if that helps, but thought I'd give it a shot.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That helps for sure. We will do Bent Creek & Greens Lick, Black Mountain and since we have a guy who really wants to go, Dupont. Thanks for all the help. Still open to suggestions but these sound good.

BGR / MCM #311
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    ...since we have a guy who really wants to go, Dupont.
    Start at the Reasonover Road parking area. Ride to Bridal Veil and then up and under Bridal Veil then Cedar Rock trail and either Cedar Rock or Big Rock back to the bottom. Then Corn Mill Shoals to Burnt Mountain (don't do it backwards like we did the first time!!) then back across the creek and go up and do CART (requires a few small loops to hit in the right direction) and then head back to the parking area...you can easily find all these trails on the Dupont map....and find a local to show you which direction is the best...WE DID!! and it was arguably the best day of riding we had out there all week!

Other good rides - 1. Black Mountain from the stables up and Thrift and Sycamore back down.
    2. Funnel Mountain up to Horse Cove then Squirrel Gap down to the suspension bridge then up (past Buck Horn) and over on South Mills River Trail.

Green's Lick is super cool....fast...and totally doable on a hardtail. Don't miss the Pine Tree / Explorer loops at Bent Creek either....and prepare for your lungs to bleed on Billy Goat.
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

mtbr member
    get yourself a map if you are going to Dupont. There is about 100+ trails that are 2-4 miles long. You will linka bunch to get a good ride in. I'm sure there is a website to get maps but know of them. Watch out around Bridal Veil Falls for access. Nothing kills a trip more than a ticket! When are you going?

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    That helps for sure. We will do Bent Creek & Greens Lick, Black Mountain and since we have a guy who really wants to go, Dupont. Thanks for all the help. Still open to suggestions but these sound good.
    I WOULD NOT ride Dupont if you're from Michigan. Do the Green's Lick and Black Mtn loops. Also...at the 3/4 point of Black Mtn, turn left and climb to really get fun section, then turn left up Sycamore Cover and finish on it. FANTASTIC RIDE!

For your last day, head to the fish hatchery and do Caney Bottom to Farlow to Daniel Ridge. Then you'll really have some fantastic memories of the 3 most popular segments of all of Pisgah.

One wrong turn in the short little climbs and descents in Dupont can ruin your day if you're a newbie. Dupont is not worth wasting the shot at the ones listed above.

You can do Kitsuma which is not close to any of the others above, but plan on knocking it out in an hour and 20-40 minutes tops. No other loops to tie in right there unless you drive over to Cedar Creek, climb the fire road and descend Snooks Knob.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    The 'utch makes a good point. Buying a map and guidebook, you can do the rides he's talking about with minimal route finding skills. Although super fun (closest thing to out West riding conditions, IMO) Dupont took me, I dunno, 5-6 trips until I spent more time riding then figuring out where I was going.

Mike

BGR / MCM #311
    Agreed....a local guide...or a map that is all marked up by directions from a local is a great idea for Dupont...guidebooks help out there if you want to see all the "touristy" falls areas, etc., but for great singletrack and the correct directions to hit all the good stuff....a guide is a must for a newbie.

Caney and Daniel are must do's!! Those trails rock...literally. We did Daniel Ridge when it was wet last year....why did I leave my shin guards in the truck????? If it were between Caney/Daniel or Dupont sans guide.....it would be the C/D ride, hands down.

a stonewalled jackson
    Aug 2006

Better Routes?

What do you guys recommend for accessing Green's Lick:

Hardtimes Connector -> Deer Lake Lodge -> Ledford Branch Road -> Sidehill -> Ingles Field Connector -> Ingles Field Gap -> North Boundary Road -> Green's Lick

OR

Hardtimes Connector -> Deer Lake Lodge -> Ledford Branch Road -(all the way to)> North Boundary Road

??

I guess I'm wondering if adding the Sidehill -> North Boundary route brings on any stupid climbs or anything. Also, am I missing a totally more intuitive route? Wouldn't be suprised!

Thanks.

BGR / MCM #311
    Quote Originally Posted by badbrains
    Sidehill -> North Boundary route brings on any stupid climbs or anything.
    Bwahahahhahaaaa!! You crack me up!!

mtbr member
    What do you guys recommend for accessing Green's Lick:

Hardtimes Connector -> Deer Lake Lodge -> Ledford Branch Road -> Sidehill -> Ingles Field Connector -> Ingles Field Gap -> North Boundary Road -> Green's Lick

OR

Hardtimes Connector -> Deer Lake Lodge -> Ledford Branch Road -(all the way to)> North Boundary Road

??

I guess I'm wondering if adding the Sidehill -> North Boundary route brings on any stupid climbs or anything. Also, am I missing a totally more intuitive route? Wouldn't be suprised!

Thanks.

your first route is a single track climb to the top (mostly) and your second route is dirt road/double track to the top (mostly). you have to decide what you'd prefer. I'd recommend the first route as a newbie in bent creek - it's the same exact first ride I did at bent creek and was an awesome first ride there.

a stonewalled jackson
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    Bwahahahhahaaaa!! You crack me up!!

Dude! Green's Lick is effin RAD!!!!! I lost my map somewhere on Wolf Branch (which I blame on the Halloween / trail #666 tag team), but ended up finding the Ingles Field trails to get to the North Boundary, and on to Green's Lick. That's the most fun I've had on a bike offroad since my middle school bmx days!!!

The Ingles Field trails seemed like they'd be fun to descend. Might try to work out something with them or Sidehill trails next time.

Any must-do trails for the next ride??

mtbr member

Any must-do trails for the next ride??
    yes, anything outside of bent creek! seriously though any rides in pisgah are absolutely top notch and much better than anything you'll find in the bent creek area. Kitsuma is ok, but it's too short for me to justify a drive there. Dupont is awesome but as others have said it's best to go w/ someone who knows the trails. If you get a map and guide book you can find your way around pisgah pretty well. IMO there are too many good trails to name...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the help. Did some riding at Dupont, had fun on the Burnt Mt trail. The drops were pretty sweet, especially when you don't know they are coming. Did a lot of riding in Pisgah, don't even know the names of all the trails we did there. Hooked up with some locals that really helped us out. I do know we did Clawhammer/Black Mt up and Avery Creek down. That was fun with a covering of leaves on eveything! Probably came down that a lot faster than we should have.Somehow I endoed in a little branch of the creek. Ahh,Pisgah memories Spent some time on Green's lick. Wow that was sweet. I usualy like singletrack but flying down that trail with the jumps and berms was worth the climb. We rode up a gravel road,Ithink Boyds, then turned up Igles Field. I could spend a whole day up and down that ride! Thanks again and we will be back in the spring!

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Thanks for all the help. Did some riding at Dupont, had fun on the Burnt Mt trail. The drops were pretty sweet, especially when you don't know they are coming. Did a lot of riding in Pisgah, don't even know the names of all the trails we did there. Hooked up with some locals that really helped us out. I do know we did Clawhammer/Black Mt up and Avery Creek down. That was fun with a covering of leaves on eveything! Probably came down that a lot faster than we should have.Somehow I endoed in a little branch of the creek. Ahh,Pisgah memories Spent some time on Green's lick. Wow that was sweet. I usualy like singletrack but flying down that trail with the jumps and berms was worth the climb. We rode up a gravel road,Ithink Boyds, then turned up Igles Field. I could spend a whole day up and down that ride! Thanks again and we will be back in the spring!
    those locals deserve a swift kick in the nuts for turning you down Avery's Creek? You climbed Clawhammer and didn't turn right and go down Black Mtn to Sycamore Cove??? Anybody besides me think they got shistered?

Oh...and 1 more ridge over from Green's Lick is Mills River. Hint for next time you come:
    Spencer Branch to Fletcher Creek...
    I am not a "Role Model"

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Oh...and glad you had fun guys.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch
    Anybody besides me think they got shistered?
    No. . .
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    No. . .
    are you telling me that if you climbed to the top of Clawhammer and you could only do 1 ride all year long, you'd turn left and go on Avery Creek instead of right and do Black MtN?
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch
    are you telling me that if you climbed to the top of Clawhammer and you could only do 1 ride all year long, you'd turn left and go on Avery Creek instead of right and do Black MtN?
    Clawhammer isn't that bad of a climb . . .

I don't know which way I would go. It would probably depend on if I was into hiking with my bike for the day or not. Black Mountian is a great trail. Avery Creek is a great trail.

All I was saying is they didn't get "shistered."

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey extrmtao, Are you the guy we talked to in the parking lot at Dupont? We just got done and you were getting ready for a night ride? I am totally bumbed we did not do Black Mt. It has been a goal of mine to ride it. The first time down we climbed the hike a bike from hell only to ride gravel down This was the second time down and I again was outnumbered. Next time I go will likely be in the spring and I will without a doubt ride Black MT. I don't care if I have to do it myself! I liked Avery Creek and would like to ride it without the leaves. But Black Mt will be first ride.

mtbr member
    Hey extrmtao, Are you the guy we talked to in the parking lot at Dupont? We just got done and you were getting ready for a night ride? I am totally bumbed we did not do Black Mt. It has been a goal of mine to ride it. The first time down we climbed the hike a bike from hell only to ride gravel down This was the second time down and I again was outnumbered. Next time I go will likely be in the spring and I will without a doubt ride Black MT. I don't care if I have to do it myself! I liked Avery Creek and would like to ride it without the leaves. But Black Mt will be first ride.
    Ummmmmm I don't know for sure. I would have been on a SS Karate Monkey. . .

what parking lot?
    when?

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My mistake. I think the guy we talked to had a Fisher in his rack. It was friday night.He was waiting for Brado and some other people.

mtbr member
    My mistake. I think the guy we talked to had a Fisher in his rack. It was friday night.He was waiting for Brado and some other people.
    I have a Fisher too but that still wasn't me. I haven't ridden with BRad since the gathering.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast