drunken pirate

Green River Game Lands Group Ride 7/21 @ 2pm

The Green River Game Lands are open to mountain bike travel now

I plan on checking out the trails on my bike this Sunday.

If you want to join me meet at the Long Ridge trail head off of Big Hungry Rd. at 1:45pm, rolling out at 2pm.

Four hours or so.

Mountain casual pace. You are responsible for yourself.

A heads up that you are attending would be great (as nobody ever comes on my group rides). Post here, pm me, or email me at clayfaineATgmailDOTcom

Hope to see you there. Gonna be Epic!
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Rogue Exterminator
    Is this off Upward Rd, past the waterfall and down by where the kayaks let in?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Is this off Upward Rd, past the waterfall and down by where the kayaks let in?
    I'm not sure where the kayaks let in.

Take Upward Rd. to Big Hungry Rd. Go .5 miles and take a left to stay on Big Hungry. Go .3 miles and make a right to stay on Big Hungry. Go 4.6 miles and there will be a small parking area off to the right. If it is full go on down to the end of the road and park there. Don't block any gates.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Rogue Exterminator
    Ok, it has been a few years but I used to live on King Rd right off Big Hungry. I have hiked a little bike there and vaguely remember it. I will probably come check it out with you.
    Looks like it is a little less than 10 miles. Wanna do it both ways?

drunken pirate
    Ok, it has been a few years but I used to live on King Rd right off Big Hungry. I have hiked a little bike there and vaguely remember it. I will probably come check it out with you.
    Looks like it is a little less than 10 miles. Wanna do it both ways?
    I have a few different loop options in mind but aren't attached to anything so we can figure it out as we go. See you tomorrow.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Rogue Exterminator
    Yup, I will be bringing 1 maybe 2.

Rogue Exterminator
    Good meeting you dude. Those trails are going to be nice after some of the down trees are gut away. Matt and I may be going through there soon with hand saws. Thanks for taking us through.

Big Mac

Green River Game Lands Group Ride 7/21 @ 2pm

Good meeting you dude. Those trails are going to be nice after some of the down trees are gut away. Matt and I may be going through there soon with hand saws. Thanks for taking us through.
    Cool. So it was worth the trip? How many miles?

Rogue Exterminator
    We only did 8.6 miles but there was 1455 ft of elevation gain in that.
    It is steep and technical in some spots and needs a lot of saw work.
    The single track is nice and narrow and much of it runs right along the river.

They are planning on doing some races in Sept so I have a feeling the trail work that is much needed will be done soon.

Green River Games

drunken pirate
    I liked it. Interesting and challenging terrain. Most of that elevation gain came in a two mile stretch. I'll be back out there again soon to check the rest of the trails out.

Thanks for making it out kjlued!
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    new to me. Is Big Hungry a deadend rd? any chance these trails are accessible from Green River Rd?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post

Thanks for making it out kjlued!
    Thanks for showing me around.

I think Matt and I plan on going out there with some saws soon to start clearing some of the stuff that can be hand cut.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    new to me. Is Big Hungry a deadend rd? any chance these trails are accessible from Green River Rd?
    Yes, Big Hungry Rd does dead end.
    Before you get to the end, you will probably see a bunch of cars parked along the road. The Pulliam Creek trail head is there. That is where we went in but drove down a little further where their was a small gravel lot to park.

You can also go down to the end of Big Hungry and you will see a gated lot with a gate. On the other side of that gate is a couple piles of gravel. That is the Long Ridge trail head. That is where we came out.

Not sure, but looking at the map I am posting and comparing it to Google Maps, it looks like the parking area for the Green River Cove Trail is right off Green River Cove Rd in Saluda next to the Wilderness Cove Tubing place (possibly in their lot).

Here is a map to help you out.

http://eco-wnc.org/images/greenriver_gamelands_map.pdf

BTW, be prepared for poison ivy. There is lots of it.
    I got a little but washed off with Technu lotion when I got home.

drunken pirate
    Yes, you can park off Green River Rd.

I hope to get back out there tomorrow after work if anyone is interested.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Not sure, but looking at the map I am posting and comparing it to Google Maps, it looks like the parking area for the Green River Cove Trail is right off Green River Cove Rd in Saluda next to the Wilderness Cove Tubing place (possibly in their lot).
    The trailhead on this side is quite hidden. I had to look a few minutes when I first went there. Its just past the bridge on the left and the sign is covered up in the woods unless that has changed.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Rogue Exterminator
    Check, good to know but my buddy lives on Big Hungry and it is closer to my house so I imagine I will park there.

There is also a spot where Kayakers go in for Green River Kayaking and I know there are a couple trails back there that go along the Green River and probably connect to the trails off Gallimore Rd which is off Big Hungry.

mtbr member
    I'm excited to check out these trails on the bike. Never been other than for the Green race.

I signed up for their trailwork list a month ago but haven't heard anything. I'd love to fire up the saws and help take care of some of those trees.

Rogue Exterminator
    I signed up too but have not heard a thing.

That being said, I doubt anyone will say a word if you ride through there with a saw and start cutting. We moved a few small trees the other day but didn't have a saw. Plans changed so this weekend is out for me, but next time I ride though there, I am going to carry mine with me to cut the smaller stuff (up to 6"). Hopefully next weekend I will be able to spend a day out there cutting and moving.

mtbr member
    FYI-just got an email from John Grace

Trail day sunday, aug 11 at Pulliam creek, 9 am. I'll be out west but figured I'd spread the word.

Rogue Exterminator
    I saw that.
    They will be clearing drains.

I don't think I will be able to join them but I may go out there and slice some down trees up later with a friend.

Rogue Exterminator
    Rode GRGL again today with mattnmtns and removed about half the trees that would cause anyone to get off their bike on Pulliam Creek, Green River Cove Trail, Bluff Trail and Turkey Gut Trail. What we didn't remove will mostly need chain saws.

Saw the drain work done on Pulliam which I imagine was done by John Grace and crew. Thanks to those who did it.

Met 3 other riders who stopped and helped us clear one of the larger trees we could clear. Thanks for the help.

Fun trails system and I think in time it will get better.
    Free maps can be found at the Hendersonville Visitor Center in downtown Hendersonville
    201 S Main St Hendersonville, NC 28792

ready to ride
    Pfftt we were just sanitizing the trails.

Lots of potential out there. Wish we didn't climb out of the clear cut section, but that was my fault. The downed trees are an easy fix. Lots of drainage issues on that trail top to bottom and back up. That is going to be harder.

Hopefully someone has taken some before pictures as to how bad the tread and erosion is BMB(before mountain bikers). The trail is literally a creek in lots of places.

Just glad there are some additional trails instead of losing some.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Pfftt we were just sanitizing the trails.

Lots of potential out there. Wish we didn't climb out of the clear cut section, but that was my fault. The downed trees are an easy fix. Lots of drainage issues on that trail top to bottom and back up. That is going to be harder.

Hopefully someone has taken some before pictures as to how bad the tread and erosion is BMB(before mountain bikers). The trail is literally a creek in lots of places.

Just glad there are some additional trails instead of losing some.
    I took lots of pictures when I was out there last week as I'll be interested to see how the trails change with mountain bike traffic. There are some problem areas as well as some really nice long stretches of really tight single track. I hope the single track remains.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Thanks for the map, and thanks for the PI warning. I am very suseptible. Looking forward to checking these trails out after a hard frost!

mtbr member
    Man, if anybody that knows it wants to do a loop out there, let me know and I am down.
    I am dying to learn the layout of these trails.
    This place is so close to my house. And I am down to help clear the trails there as well.
    SEI Racing

Rogue Exterminator
    I will be going out there again, but I don't know when.
    However it isn't hard to learn the layout if you want to go by yourself.

I posted both a link to a map and place where you can get a free map.
    There is only 16 miles of trails.
    The free map you get at the visitor center is the same as above but it does have a description of each the trails.

Also, in case of emergency you get Verizon Cell signal through most of it (can't tell you about other companies).

FYI, I would suggest taking Bluff Trail down (West to East) because mattnmtns b!tched at me like a little girl the whole time we were climbing it (700 feet in a mile) lol

ready to ride
    All I said was going downhill that way was a lot more feasible, correction, be more fun than trying to climb it, and that climbing the other seemed like it would be better than the direction we went. Climbing it? we were walking it. Didn't help we were probably carrying an extra 10 pounds in water.

Want to go ride farlow again this weekend? We can take the long way up this time
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

Rogue Exterminator
    I never b!tched on Farlow.
    Just said going down wasn't quite my thing and I probably won't do it again soon.
    It is above my skill level. No shame in that, it is above most peoples skill level.
    You were the one talking about shuttling up next time.

So I guess that settles it, you have more skill than me. It is just too bad you are a pvssy.

(I just had to get even for all those death marches you took me on a year ago when I was b!tching lol)

drunken pirate
    I'm up for a ride out there almost any day after work. Tomorrow at 5:30 anyone?

I have a hunch no matter what trail you go down out there you will be doing some pushing back up. A lot of riders, including myself, would have to walk down a fair section of Bluff.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Rogue Exterminator
    No doubt I would have to walk those switchbacks.
    In my mind I can do them but in reality, I saw the vid from the Sycamore Cycles guys who are much more experienced than me.

drunken pirate
    Can't do today - freaking working for a living sucks!

I'll try and post up another ride soon.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Anybody interested in doing this ride again this coming Sunday? Like somebody who knows where the heck they are going?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    I'm hitting this from the green river cove rd parking area today. I'll post route and general description later
    You can do a lot in a lifetime, If you don't burn out too fast...First you need endurance, First you've got to last...

Rogue Exterminator
    Wouldn't go today, there is race going on there.

mtbr member
    That race was so awesome. Everyone needs to go ride that exact route. : )
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    I looked on NCwildlife.org or com or whatever, saw the hunting schedule. Does anyone know if they now allow hunting on sunday w/ bow? It was a no no to hunt on sunday a couple years ago. I can see it anywhere. I'm a little gun shy (no pun intended) since these trails are "gamelands" and we have just been allowed to ride there. My hunting friend tells me that it's good for us mtb'rs to ride when they are hunting as it gets the deer moving and sometimes they don't move unless we make them..but there are always some guys that are really "red" and I don't really want to chance a confrontation, even though they hopefully couldn't catch me. Any info would be cool...obviously hunter orange or my really bright tie dye jersey would be a must...It is now bow season in western NC....
    You can do a lot in a lifetime, If you don't burn out too fast...First you need endurance, First you've got to last...

Rogue Exterminator
    Still no hunting on Sundays at GRGL.

mtbr member
    I drove by there today on my way home from Bent Crick and found the little parking lot. Anybody up for a group ride next Sunday sometime? I would like to at least go with one other guy so that person can at least tell the paramedics where to find my corpse if the going gets too rough.

mtbr member
    I rode this loop a few weeks ago. I was shocked at how technical it was. There are many dips that are almost unrideable. I was by myself, on my hardtail, and didn't want risk it. I was off the bike quite a bit. Finally, the hike a bike stair step climb on green river cove is sorta dangerous walking up it. Overall with some trail work, this place has huge potential. After the 8.85 mile loop, I felt as if I had rode 20 miles in dupont. It took me almost 2 hrs to ride this 8.85 mile loop.
    I parked on the east side of the bridge at the trailhead on green river cove rd.
    Start by heading up a gravel driveway heading away from the river, but immediately look left for the start of the green river cove trail. climb up a little bit of stairs, Stay on green river cove trail for about 3 miles. This trail is fairly scenic with the awesome sounds of the river the whole way. Turn rt on Pulliam Creek Trail. Stay on Pulliam Creek trail (left) when you see bear branch. right on rock hop, (right in this area is where I just followed the trail through some fields and didn't see a trail sign) right on Bishop Branch, left on bear branch (more of a gravel rd, nice view of the surrounding mtns.) right on long ridge, left on stair step falls, right on turkey gut, right on bluff trail (steep downhill with tight switchbacks), left on green river cove.

mtbr member
    I made it up there for the fist time today. We took Green River cove to Pulliam creek and took that all the way to Big Hungry Rd. Hung a ride on BH and then started down Long Ridge, which is a gravel road. Never did see a sign for another trail and after a while we thought maybe we were in the wrong place. So we turned around and came back to the start of Long Ridge, where we finally saw the sign. So we went back up LR looking for Turkey Gut. Never saw a turn off or sign for Turkey Gut and finally ended up finding the start of Stair Step.

We had 3 old guys riding and none of us bothered to bring our reading glasses. So we were somewhat navigationally challenged at that point. Stair Step looked like it hadn't been ridden in years and we kept questioning whether we were going in the right direction. We finally came out on Turkey Gut. From there, we hung a right and made it the rest of the way without getting lost.

Does anybody know if there is an accurate topo map of this area that includes all the trails? We were working from the pdf map that is available online. Is the one they give out at the visitor's center any better?

All in all, we had a good time. Weather was great and there are some great views of the Green River gorge. We saw a few kayakers coming down the river. I guess I will learn my way around after a few more trips.

This is a great place to ride if you want a little more adventure than your average ride at Dupont or Bent Crick.

Rogue Exterminator
    Don't know if it is better or not but the one at the Hendersonville Visitor is a good map.
    It would have been worth your trip to go pick it up since they are free. I would actually pick up a few though since they wear out easy.

mtbr member
    They had some new maps made that they gave out to us at the GRGs this year, I think they just finished it right before the event. Big improvement, see if you can find one. Maybe stop by The Gorge (zipline place) next time you are in the area and ask if they have any left over from registration.

Rogue Exterminator
    Mike, was the map kind of like this but on tan paper with green print?

Green River Game Lands Group Ride 7/21 @ 2pm-green-river-gorge-trails-map-xl.jpg

That is basically what the free map is that you get at the visitor center.
    Difference is that it is larger of course so easier to read. It also gives information on the game lands including a description of each trail including difficulty level, length, and amount of elevation change.

For a free map, it is great. Only problem with them is that they are not weather resistant at all so they don't last long but what do you expect for free. I just grabbed half a dozen so I could give a few out to friends and have a couple extras for myself.

They may have them in Saluda someplace too but I don't know.
    Like I mentioned before though they have them at the Visitor Center in downtown Hendersonville. (201 South Main Street)
    They are open every day until 5pm including Sundays and Holidays (Except the big 3 Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years) so next time you go to DuPont or Bent Creek, it is only a few miles out of your way.

mtbr member
    No, the map I am talking about was made specifically for the Green River Games by Kee Mapping & Surveying (keemap.com). Its by far the best one I've seen of that area. They were handed out to all of the participants at the Enduro race this year.

Green River Game Lands Group Ride 7/21 @ 2pm-grgmap.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I made it up there for the fist time today. We took Green River cove to Pulliam creek and took that all the way to Big Hungry Rd. Hung a ride on BH and then started down Long Ridge, which is a gravel road. Never did see a sign for another trail and after a while we thought maybe we were in the wrong place. So we turned around and came back to the start of Long Ridge, where we finally saw the sign. So we went back up LR looking for Turkey Gut. Never saw a turn off or sign for Turkey Gut and finally ended up finding the start of Stair Step.

We had 3 old guys riding and none of us bothered to bring our reading glasses. So we were somewhat navigationally challenged at that point. Stair Step looked like it hadn't been ridden in years and we kept questioning whether we were going in the right direction. We finally came out on Turkey Gut. From there, we hung a right and made it the rest of the way without getting lost.

Does anybody know if there is an accurate topo map of this area that includes all the trails? We were working from the pdf map that is available online. Is the one they give out at the visitor's center any better?

All in all, we had a good time. Weather was great and there are some great views of the Green River gorge. We saw a few kayakers coming down the river. I guess I will learn my way around after a few more trips.

This is a great place to ride if you want a little more adventure than your average ride at Dupont or Bent Crick.
    I think you missed a right turn on "Rock Hop" off of Pulliam Creek trail, before you get to Big Hungry Rd.

mtbr member
    We saw that trail, but I didn't know where it went, so I went on up to the road. Like I said, I think it will take a few more rides up there to learn my way around. That map from the Green River games looks like a nice one. This is going to be a great place to ride once I have it figured out.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    No, the map I am talking about was made specifically for the Green River Games by Kee Mapping & Surveying (keemap.com). Its by far the best one I've seen of that area. They were handed out to all of the participants at the Enduro race this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRGmap.jpg 
Views:	847 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	851927
    Looks nice

The ones I have are nice maps for free.
    This one looks nicer though (however, I doubt it is free lol)
    I will have to see if I can find one.

Football44
    I'm heading down that way from Ohio in early April. Do you think the Gamelands trails will be rideable? How do the trails drain? I rode Dupont in January a couple of years ago, but I'm not familiar with how early spring hits that region.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaSnook View Post
    I'm heading down that way from Ohio in early April. Do you think the Gamelands trails will be rideable? How do the trails drain? I rode Dupont in January a couple of years ago, but I'm not familiar with how early spring hits that region.
    My crystal ball broke and I had to send it off for repairs.
    It should be back in May an I can tell you then.

mtbr member
    I used to be the resident king of smartassity on this forum, but it seems that kj has taken over that position.

What he actually meant is that early April can be 80 and sunny or 45 and raining buckets. So it's hard to say what shape the trails will be in at that time. Just from my one ride there, I would say that these are trails that should drain well. Enjoy your trip. Post up when you come down and maybe somebody can show you around.

Football44
    Thanks Mike. Sorry about that kj.
    I ride Michigan all the time in the spring because of the sandy soil. Trails in Ohio are generally off limits all spring long, except for Mohican which dries quickly and can be ridden usually a day or two after a significant rain. WV trails are always soggy...and always rideable. I rode the George Washington National Forest in VA last spring with no problem (and a clear conscience) after two days of heavy rain - the rocky clay drains very well.
    I'm not asking for your wisdom kj, just an educated guess and some insight to the trail design.
    Thanks again, Mike. I'll definitely hit you up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyone ride out here recently? Is the map posted in this thread still accurate? I'll be in Saluda over Labor Day and would be interested in checking these out. Any info appreciated.

mtbr member
    Look up green river games on Feb and message those guys. They should be able to tell you what's going on. I keep meaning to ride up there again but always seem to end up at Dupont.

Rogue Exterminator
    Yup, the map is still current and free ones can be picked up in Hendersonville at the Visitor Center on Main St.

mtbr member
    I went up there today and rode. The trails are in fine shape. I just really wish they would put some decent signs up so you know where you are. I was trying to follow the course map from the Green River Games web site and got a bit turned around. There are a lot of intersections with no signs or trail markers. Still had a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks all. Weather permitting I hope to get over there to check it out.

mtbr member
    I did the Green River Games Enduro a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately had a bad get off on Stage 1 and DNF'd(I went into it blind as i never rode out there before). Loved what I rode and just being in the Gorge in general. Really want to check out the rest of it, and go ride out there more often. If anyone is heading that way post up here or PM me - I'm down to ride on Sundays usually.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jnails View Post
    I did the Green River Games Enduro a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately had a bad get off on Stage 1 and DNF'd(I went into it blind as i never rode out there before). Loved what I rode and just being in the Gorge in general. Really want to check out the rest of it, and go ride out there more often. If anyone is heading that way post up here or PM me - I'm down to ride on Sundays usually.
    Hey, I was the guy on single speed racing out there that day.
    Stage one was slick as hell and what I would probably considered the toughest stage that day because of it. I crashed like 4 times coming down. If it is dry it is nowhere near as bad.

I was planning on riding out there this weekend but plans changed however I am planning a trip in there again soon and it will for sure be on a Sunday now that hunting season has started. I know hunters that won't go in there during hunting season. lol

Probably going to be within the next few weeks. Shoot me a PM with your info if interested.

mtbr member
    Hey guys - post up here when you are planning that ride. I have been up there a couple of times, but still don't really know my way around.

Rogue Exterminator
    Maybe the Sunday after this but I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Maybe the Sunday after this but I will let you know.
    If that works out let me know, I can probably make it. PM'd you my info

Rogue Exterminator
    Will do