mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Gravel Road Rides

My father in law purchased his first mountain bike this week at 60! He is not interested in singletrack, but would enjoy some forest/gravel road rides. I really don't want him to get discouraged, so I'm looking for ideas for some manageable forest/gravel road rides for an older fellar! He will be riding in Bent Creek or DuPont! Send some loops my way!! Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Start with looping around Bent Creek with south ridge road to Bent Creek Rd etc. Keep in mind there is no such thing as a flat road here. He'd be good to keep that in mind. There are a couple of good Pisgah maps available. Google maps is OK, not great. I have a NC Gazetteer that I like for exploring as well. Learning to read topo is key. Gravel road riding navigation is easy really, we have a ton of it. Start small and try to find pretty places to ride.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks....yes he is fine with climbs, We are just looking for good hour to two hour connecting roads.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    PArk at HArdtimes in BC and take him down the gravel and to the left toward the arboretum then turn around and do a loop around the lake. When I run in the arboretum I see a lot of people cruising that lower road.

Carbon8er
    Hard to make gravel road loops over Brevard Pisgah way
    Here's a couple that I do on my carbon fully rigid 29'er

park at 276 and 471 (horse stables road - white pines)
    Ride up 471, up and over Bennett gap and down to 276
    Left on 276
    right on 475B gravel road
    All the way down 475B to 475
    left on 475 back to 276
    ride the pavement back to horse stables road
    Not that long of a ride

here's another but it does have some offroad in order to complete the loop

park at horse stables
    go up clawhammer to buckhorn gap
    go down buckhorn trail to mills river
    left on mills river , down to 476 gauging station
    up 476 to 1206 yellow gap road
    left on yellow gap to 276
    down 276 to 471
    left on 471, up and over Bennett gap and back down to horse stables
    about 20 miles

Dupont is the place he needs to go for non technical riding off road

mtbr member
    The 9 mile loop around Lake Summit, in Tuxedo, is the flattest dirt road I know of in the area. Park at the boat ramp on 225. Either direction works but clockwise may be a touch easier. Just watch the blind curves, which means no headphones.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks.....keep the rides coming!

mtbr member
    I'm a fat 66 year old and although I stop to breathe, and walk a bit now and then, I really like riding up Lake Imaging Road at DuPont to left on (easy, fairly level single-tracks) Locust Trail then down to Buck Forest Rd.

Left on Buck Forest which is gravel again then left on Hickory Mountain Rd (there are several gravel loops along there) up to Ridgeline and down to Lake Imaging Rd and the parking lot. Ridgeline is, at fat 66 year old speeds, easy single track; sandy with few bumps and no drops.

If all I rode was gravel, I'd quickly tire of Mt. Biking.

If it's gravel or nothing, loop Thomas Cemetery from Buck Forest which makes parking at Guion Farm off Sky Valley Rd the place to start. Get a DuPont Map at The Hub or Sycamore.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Last summer my wife suggested we do a ride at Woody's in Helen, GA. This would be her first adventure in mt biking. We rode the "Gap Ride" which consisted of a shuttle to Unicoi Gap and riding back to Helen via forest service roads. 15 miles with about 65% down hill. She loved it. A week latter I dove into my mt bike fund and bought her a bike. Something to look at.

Wooody's Mountain Bikes | Helen, Georgia | 706.878.3715

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Interesting.....thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any ideas for roads in the foothills, central part of the state? Seems like we have zero gravel here.

29er zealot
    briley, I've got some killer gravel rides I do in Stokes and Surry counties just outside of Winston-Salem. There is some good stuff north of Sauratown Mtn and Hanging Rock in Stokes county as well as good gravel southwest of Pilot Mountain. If you are wanting further foothills, there is some good stuff around the Mitchell River west of Dobson. All incorporate some paved roads, but there is some good stuff out there, you just have to really explore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14 View Post
    briley, I've got some killer gravel rides I do in Stokes and Surry counties ... There is some good stuff north of Sauratown Mtn and Hanging Rock in Stokes county as well as good gravel southwest of Pilot Mountain. All incorporate some paved roads, but there is some good stuff out there, you just have to really explore.
    Are these rides on your blog? I just bought a new Salsa Vaya, and am itching to do some gravel, or light trails.

29er zealot
    My old cycling blog has some of these gravel rides posted, you are welcome to peruse it a while. It's been months since I updated anything, but I was able to find one post about the Stokes/Surry gravel

The Clawhammer Cyclist: Stokes/Surry Gravel Ride

29er zealot
    The Clawhammer Cyclist: Shoals Gravel

This one includes a map of some of the roads. Unfortunately, the last time I rode out there, Atkinson and Stratford Church were in the process of being paved.

Also, you could check out Butner Mill Road and Crissman Road in East Bend.

mtbr member
    Uwharrie has some gravel roads...and supertree was a trail at one time but is now basically a gravel road...its still alot of fun there...the wood run road is a gravel road..I followed it one time I never got to the end..but it would make a good ride.

http://stormracing.org/team/wp-conte...-trail-map.png
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.