mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Grandfather District Map Comments - North Pisgah

Hi,

Our new map covering Pisgah National Forest Northeast of Asheville is in it's final stages. We are working hard to ensure this map is accurate as well as providing some information not found on other maps. Several people have contacted me about things they'd like to see on the map as well as problems with existing maps of the area. I wanted to give anyone/everyone the opportunity to provide comments/input at this point.

Extent: Coleman Boundary/Black Mtn up to Wilson Creek Area (see attached)

If you know of a mistake on an existing map, we'd like to hear about it.

Some existing maps include:

• Nat Geo - #779
    • USFS Wilson Creek Map
    • USFS Linville Gorge Map
    • others?

If there are other maps you use, let me know.

No mistake is too big or too small. Missing trails, incorrect trail alignments, incorrect designations, missing roads, missing gates, gates that should not be on the map, incorrect gate location etc ...

Please provide a detailed description of the problem/error, map it can be found on and suggested course or action for correction. If you have GPS data or a marked up map with better information, that would be great.

We want our map to mirror the real conditions on the ground and what is in the current USFS inventory. Well used trails that are not in the official USFS inventory should not be included.

We've already fixed a lot of problems with existing maps and USFS data but hope to get more input this way.

Anticipated map release - first of the year.

Thanks!

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grandfather District Map Comments - North Pisgah-n-pisgah-extent.jpg  

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Interesting

"We want our map to mirror the real conditions on the ground and what is in the current USFS inventory. Well used trails that are not in the official USFS inventory should not be included."

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Would you care to elaborate?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i think he's glad you're not trying to blow up trails that peeps ride and enjoy but that might not be fully legit, bro.

That bit of your post is a bit confusing. I think you're trying to get at the fact that there might be legal things that aren't on current maps that you'd like to include?

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahmap View Post
    Well used trails that are not in the official USFS inventory should not be included.
    This part is MUCH appreciated!

Your maps are far superior to anything else made including NatGeo by the way. That's coming from a college trained digital cartographer with zero real world mapping experience...so my word is as good as any college professor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    i think he's glad you're not trying to blow up trails that peeps ride and enjoy but that might not be fully legit, bro.

That bit of your post is a bit confusing. I think you're trying to get at the fact that there might be legal things that aren't on current maps that you'd like to include?
    Yes, anything legal that might be missing, I'd like to include. Anything illegal - I don't want to include.

To clarify the statement - 'mirror real conditions on the ground':

If there is a trail sign 'on the ground' that is different from what existing maps or data show, I often defer to what's 'on the ground' - meaning conditions on the ground. Although that is not foolproof either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zod View Post
    This part is MUCH appreciated!

Your maps are far superior to anything else made including NatGeo by the way. That's coming from a college trained digital cartographer with zero real world mapping experience...so my word is as good as any college professor.
    And you're giving these words to a college professor of digital cartography! The Irony!!

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I was aware....it's hard being witty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i was aware....it's hard being short.
    ftfy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was aware....it's hard being witty.
    I saw your winking smile face, just chose not to acknowledge it.