white boy extraordinaire

Gorges State Park

I understand that there is a trail you can ride there, Anyone have any experience with this area?

I have great things about this area but have no beta on the trails.

Thanks,

c
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

mtbr member
    i haven't biked there but can shed some light on my experience. my wife and i backpacked down the canebrake trail to the lake. i believe that trail is hiking only, not that you'd want to ride it anyways (jeep road, basically). we thought by backpacking in we'd get some solitude, but apparently it's common for people to take canoes, kayaks, and motorboats across the lake to the area we camped. therefore it was loud and more crowded than expected. i had 15 ticks on me in 24 hours, so that part sucked dong. still fun as there as great views near the lake and a few suspension bridges over the creeks (one was indiana jones-style sketchy).

the park itself is very new and therefore pretty nice.

rainbow falls is cool although crowded (stay away from the falls so we don't hear about you in the news). turtleback falls is also pretty fun to go to and slide down. lots of good swimming holes in that area but i don't recall any riding over on that side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the only way to ride in gorges is to do out and backs on fire roads

mtbr member
    It's extremely steep and painful. Straight up and down on large gravel (2inch ballast). Not for the faint of heart or the beginner. Think of it like Pisgah but you are too scared to venture out in it. Don't get lost. No one is out there to help look for you.

white boy extraordinaire
    you've definitely sold it to me, i'll just make sure not to tell anyone where i am going, bring no extra tubes and half a bottle of water.

-the Dude

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nearby Panthertown Valley is the place to ride. It's about 20 minutes from Gorges.

I live right next to Gorges and the only thing that place is good for is hiking/backpacking... and dirtbiking. There is the one ATV road that leads to a gamelands reserve (and lake Jocassee) but the ride back out on a mountain bike would be utter hell. We've done it a few times on our dirtbikes and the fist size gravel in several super steep sections is sketchy. I laid the bike over on one strech and had a hell of a time getting the bike going again from the steepness and the gravel. It would be a long grueling hike-a-bike out for sure. Not recommended - from one who *loves* the most technical trails in Pisgah.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by sbr247 View Post
    There is the one ATV road that leads to a gamelands reserve (and lake Jocassee) We've done it a few times on our dirtbikes and the fist size gravel in several super steep sections is sketchy.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the only motorized vehicles allowed on the boundry road going from Gorges parking lot down to the game lands and the Mustard Grounds are tagged four wheel drive vehicles. I took my jeep down to the Horse Pasture river that way recently, the sign going in says foot travel and 4x4 vehicles with 8" clearance only. Just saying.

white boy extraordinaire
    Yeah, i ended up going to Panthertown. That is a nice little place, unique, uncrowded and just fun enough.

Thanks for the input, sounds like i dodged a bullet.

-the Dude