Arrrghhh!!!

Good tire for trails and assfault?

Hey all,
    I was gonna post in the tires section, but would prefer to hear the wisdom of you locos.
    With all the climbing that is necessary around here, and some lengthy rides up roads (e.g., 181), have any of you found a tire that excels on the trails and doesn't wear too fast? I got some Mibro's which I really like on the trails, but after some climbing on roads the tread is wearing very fast. I'm looking for something that will hold up a bit better but still roll well and not be too heavy.
    Thanks in advance,
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    maxxis high roller
    maxxis crossmax

both offer low rolling resistance and still hook up great in the dryer conditions we've had lately.

I still run a full on knobby in the front though.
    My one says BRAP!

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Maxxis ADvantage is an awesome fast, gripping tire, i only wish they made it in a 29er version. i know quite a few locals peeps have been running the Small Block 8s and love 'em when conditions are dry....i haven't tried it yet, but plan to soon as a rear tire replacement for the Ignitor i'm curently running.

mtbr member
    insighter- you're riding Wilson's on a Burner.
    The Crossmark, IMO, is not enough tire for day-to-day Wilson's riding. The High roller and Ignitor both look like good choices for Wilson's in the Maxxis tire variety. I would also recommend the following for a combination of durability, weight, and trail grabbing power:
    WTB: Motoraptor in back
    2.3 Timberwolf on the front
    Conti: Vertical pro 2.3- both ends
    Gravity Pro- both ends
    Kenda: Nevegal 2.0. A fanatastic tire- boths
    Those are all the tires I have expereice with that I'd recommend for your criteria. If I had to make a "call", I'd go with either the Ignitors front and rear or the Nevegal both ways.
    Mike

Arrrghhh!!!

Good Stuff!

Thanks all for the recommendations.
    Mike, you mentioned the Nevegal, which I was previously looking at. I'm riding tubes, and see a 1.95 lite or a 2.1 dtc. When you mention the 2.0, is that tube or UST? I usually ride a 2.1...
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    insighter- you're riding Wilson's on a Burner.
    The Crossmark, IMO, is not enough tire for day-to-day Wilson's riding. The High roller and Ignitor both look like good choices for Wilson's in the Maxxis tire variety. I would also recommend the following for a combination of durability, weight, and trail grabbing power:
    WTB: Motoraptor in back
    2.3 Timberwolf on the front
    Conti: Vertical pro 2.3- both ends
    Gravity Pro- both ends
    Kenda: Nevegal 2.0. A fanatastic tire- boths
    Those are all the tires I have expereice with that I'd recommend for your criteria. If I had to make a "call", I'd go with either the Ignitors front and rear or the Nevegal both ways.
    Mike
    I agree with that.

My one says BRAP!

Slightly askew

my $0.02

Im running the Kenda Cortez DTC 2.4 and they are silly fast on hardpack(or road) not that bad in damp, have'nt rode in mud yet. I ran mibros untill they fell apart thats a super tire.
    Zero charisma

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The best 3-season tire for Wilson Creek singletrack and assfalt is WTB Nano Raptor.
    In the winter, I make some concessions to the wet roots...klaw,nevegal,rampage...but it's a huge difference coming up 181...nanos roll nice on blacktop on that center bead.