Official Cooler Inspector

Giving Thanks (share one)

MTBr archives lost & found:

I sacrificed my favorite Home Depot Safety glasses to the trail (longish) M-U-M
    Sep 23, 2001 5:08 PM

What a "cereal" day I had! PBF took me to an area I have hiked many times over the years, but never biked. A perfectly beautiful early fall day. There were a few trees staring to turn - the dogwoods are a bit early for this area, and gorgeous. There were also some patches of brilliance in the maples and sumac. Lots of wildflowers in full bloom.

Butterflies, mushrooms, ferns, woody-woodpeckers, and so much more. It was hard to concentrate on the roots, rocks and reels, what with nature calling out siren songs for my attention. At one particularly tricky section, I stopped to assess whether I should walk or ride. Right where my hand rested on the tree was a rather intimately involved pair of grasshoppers. Ah, excuse me.... I chose to walk the route. In an odd state of embarrassment too.

There was a long gravel road trudge back to the truck, but even that had some special sights. While deep in thought and low gear I happened to glance down into the woods and saw a small blue tent with, what looked like, a whole week's worth of laundry hanging between the trees. The tent had alittle American flag on top.

The ride home held some more adventure. We were suddenly caught up in a very strong storm. Torrential rain, flooded roads with brown caps, hail whited the yards, but we still needed to get to the store for beer. There I was covered with mud and freezing in the air conditioning stuck in a line with "normal people". I lifted up my chin and sucked up my stomach a bit to add a level of authority to my appearance. It must have worked, as the lady in front of me let me go ahead of her "since you only have one thing". Cool. And the bikes were completely washed by the time we hit the driveway.

Of all the rides I've been lucky enough to be a part of this summer this one will be recalled in a whole different category. Not just because of what I've noted above. I'm nearing the anniversary of when I felt The Lump. We all have special stories of the past year. Losses and gains, tears and smiles. I must have said ten times out loud to no one today: I can't believe I'm out here riding a damn bike.

BTW: I left my old yellow glasses on a stump too high back to retrieve. What a weird feeling to ride "unprotected".

I actually found those glasses a few months later and they still hang in the shop.

Ya'll enjoy your holiday.

WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

Big Mac
    So you've been this way for a long time? Awesome!

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    For the last 9-10 yrz I have been biking w/ a prosthetic arm, (strictly for biking), due to a guy who got a lil too anxious to turn in ft of me while I was riding down the road on my '76 sportster. I could've laid down and let anyone who would help me do everything for me or I could get up and start figgerin' out how to do it for myself. Thankfully the latter scenerio was my reality. I am soooo Thankfull just to be alive and functioning on my job & biking as well as most people w/ two arms/hands. Over the yrz I have met all kinds of people on the trails, most are impressed by what I am able to do, however, there have been those who gave me a certain amount of attitude when I passed them on a climb , or they got hurt trying to hit th' same jumps, drops, stunts I was able to ride cleanly, either way, I enjoy & am so Thankfull for meeting these people and to be a part of a lifestyle that just gives me fun to no end.

I love mtb'in !!!!

ps: Wilson'z still sucks !!!!
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    For the last 9-10 yrz I have been biking w/ a prosthetic arm, (strictly for biking), due to a guy who got a lil too anxious to turn in ft of me while I was riding down the road on my '76 sportster. I could've laid down and let anyone who would help me do everything for me or I could get up and start figgerin' out how to do it for passed them on a climb , or they got hurt trying to hit th' same jumps, drops, stunts I was able to ride cleanly, either way, I enjoy & am so Thankfull for meeting these people and to be a part of a lifestyle that just gives me fun to no end.

I love mtb'in !!!!

ps: Wilson'z still sucks !!!!
    Awesome man......and Wilson's REALLY sucks.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Ushering two Jimi Hendrix concerts in one day, as a thirteen year old, can cause all sorts of life-long effects. Bluegrass festivals and mountain biking are only slight examples.

Purple Haze came on the radio while returning from a pizza pick up. I discovered the Granny Wagon can ROCK!

Reality check - got some else's pizza. Eatin' it.

WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

When did you get here?!?!
    Helmets.

I'm thankful for helmets. I've broken a few.

The latest was about two years ago when I was following Otto on Bennett into the huck at Perry Cove. Headplant. *whiteflash* ooofff. I bet my helmet is broken....

Before that must have been while easily outrunning Dicky on Heartbreak. Somehow he was able to catch the spectacular crash I had after I thought ' I can bunnyhop that....'

Then there was that white flash at Catawba back in the day... I was practicing for the DH race, the front wheel was no longer out front and. ...

or that other time when I was at Dragon's Back solo, with a curfew, and after that one switchback....

Oh man....

I'm thankful for helmets.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    In-laws' house just west of Waynesville and long holiday breaks.