Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Gauging interest in an indoor bike park- Asheville

Howdy!

My wife and I are trying to determine the feasibility of an indoor park, similar to Ray's parks, for the Asheville area. I figured this would be a good place to start.

Great idea or crazy-as-hell?

Thank you for your time and input.

-Lule

Rogue Exterminator
    If you build it, they will come.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rogue Exterminator
    On a serious note, this year would have been an awesome year to have something like that.
    All the rain we had, might have paid for the park. lol

Something like that could be awesome but the reality is that you will be competing with lots of free riding. On the flip side that is a two edge sword because you have a huge rider base here too.

IMO, It can work but it will have to have a lot to offer at the right price (but isn't that always the case?)

mtbr member
    "If you build it, they will come." That's what my wife said too.

The weather this year was what really prompted this idea in the first place. We live just outside of Boone and we about drowned this year from the rain.
    We have Rocky Knob east of town, Kerr Scott down the mountain and the new downhill over at Beech, all of which are subject to the whims of Mother Nature.

Frankly, I prefer to be outside but there are those days when it's cold, windy, rainy, and snowy, that I would like to have the comfort of being indoors. Ice, snow, and that greasy wet-clay mud lessen the enjoyment of riding (for me). I feel others my feel the same.

Thanks for your reply.

-Lule

dog
    sit! stay!
    will it have a foam pit?

also... maybe you should consider the Triangle instead... just sayin'
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Foam pit: Yes

Triangle: Not likely at this point. Live where you work; I have no desire to live in an anthill.

Thanks.

-Lule

mtbr member
    Cool. Now I can have a place to work on my backflips during the winter.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll come... hell I'll even make the drive from Oklahoma!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
    I'll come... hell I'll even make the drive from Oklahoma!
    For you, you must to here on a S.S. rigid tandem, alone!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    It would be a huge challenge for sure. I think you would have a tough time finding a large enough space at the right price in Asheville proper. You would pay lower taxes and rent in the surrounding areas, but you might lose some of the tourist traffic. Pros and Cons to both.

Insurance might be your biggest challenge and cost. Unfortunately any business like this could be one injury away from blowing up in your face. Waivers aren't worth the paper they are printed on if just one board, nail, screw, etc is out of place and someone gets hurt. Let's not even discuss the nightmare you could have with minors!

With all that said....go for it! I'd pay for a fun session on a rainy Friday after work.

(I'm sure the first guy who opened an indoor climbing gym was called crazy)
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    We are quite the litigious society, aren't we?! A liability waiver would have to be watertight. Ray's now requires notarized waivers these days, probably from some issue in the past and they are really tough on the under 18 crowd.

The only area I currently know of that would have the building size needed would be the industrial/arts area or maybe a closed grocery store.

You're dead right when it comes to the big issues: Risk management and capitalization...piece of cake, right?

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Lule

Big Mac

Gauging interest in an indoor bike park- Asheville

I asked this same question some years back. The general con census was that the four seasons of riding we have here would not support an indoor park. Places like Rays do so well because their winters are so long and brutal. With high rent, it'd be a hard road.

mtbr member
    I think one of the problems would be cost/pricing.

Along with many of my friends, I was super stoked to hear about the Kolo park opening at the golf course (less than a mile from my house), then I saw their pricing.

To my consternation, the Kolo guys are asking $19 for a day-pass and $14 for locals, or a season pass of over $350 (for all of the 4 "seasons"). They have recently offered a 2-hour price, which definitely makes it more affordable to swing by. I understand that they need to cover expenses, as would you, but this pricing structure is hard for me to justify when there is so much other great riding so close (Granted, gas adds up quickly but carpooling generally helps with that).

If it were me doing the business, I would be doing a ton more price deals to draw local riders (the ones who, ultimately, are not only going to be your core customer, but also your core advertisers). I'd have punchcards, evening pricing, midweek pricing, frequent flyer discounts, Facebook deals, give-aways, events, sponsored nights, FREE times, bring-a-friend day and you each pay half, etc...

If I could justify the cost, I would love to shred indoors during the rain.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    I have a 60-40 theory to mountain biking. Some people are 60% into it to be outside, 40% because they also love to ride their bikes. The others are 60% primarily out there to ride, 40% because they like to be in the woods.

I'm squarely solidly and firmly in the first camp-outside in the woods first and my favorite way to be in the woods is by bike. As such, I would not be likely to use an indoor bike park more than once or for some kind of party. If the conditions do not enable riding, I just go for a walk, trail run, or some other outdoor activity.

People using an indoor park would, IMO, primarily be in the second group of people whose primary enjoyment is riding the bike but also enjoy being in the woods.

So, are there enough of those who fall into the second group? Honestly, I just don't know.

mtbr member
    Ray's was AWESOME when I lived in Michigan, because it was a place to ride, that didn't require a >10 hour drive South, during the 6 months of Winter and Spring slop... I doubt I'd pay to ride indoors in Asheville, when there is so many great riding venues in a 4 hour radius, even in the Winter.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I think you'd be as successful as our ski industry...
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't think there is a big enough populous in the Asheville area to support the high rent and insurance you would encounter. We can pretty much ride year round in Asheville and if it's to cold we can drive south to Greenville to ride and be a little warmer. This year was the exception with all the rain and I still rode a tons, not trails but gravel. I think people live/visit the Asheville area to be outside in nature not inside some warehouse riding. Now somewhere like Detroit or Cleveland thats another story, I would want to stay inside as much as possible and would probably like riding inside.

Rogue Exterminator
    I agree and disagree with everyone.

I agree it will be tough because of our riding season.
    However, you also have riders who like to practice skill sets in a controlled environment.

I will say it again, it boils down to price and features.
    People spend $30 a day to ride Beech Mtn, if the indoor park offers enough who is to say they won't spend the same?

Will it be easy? No, you will need a rather large space and a lot of work to make it happen.
    Can it be done on a shoe string budget? Hell no, read above.

Like stated though, Asheville proper would be hard because of space.
    Even if you found enough indoor space which you probably won't you still have to make it easy enough to get there with decent parking. I actually think you would lose business if you were in the city of Asheville.

Arden or Fletcher would probably be a better location.
    Hendersonville may get a little far but I know of a place that not only has huge indoor space but also a parking lot big enough for parking but additional outdoor features.

No matter where you build it, I would plan on a large budget and lots of insurance even with an iron clad waiver.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insights.

I, too, prefer to be outside over being cooped up indoors. I realize that an indoor park would have to compete with some of the best outdoor riding on the east coast. Really, this area would be the "fringe" of the area where such a facility would be able to exist. Any further south would be pointless in my view. At that point, it would be to get away from bugs and the oppressive heat and humidity.

It seems the consensus at this point is that it would be good for when the weather is inclement, but not as much a draw during fine weather. I do think there's a need for a skills area where failure doesn't extract such a high penalty for failure, but I couldn't see that happening on its own.

I think that we'll let this rest for now and pursue other avenues.

Once again, thank you for your valuable input.

-Lule

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It could work if you set it up for mtn bikes and bmx bikes. No skate parks allow bmx bikes around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeONE View Post
    It could work if you set it up for mtn bikes and bmx bikes. No skate parks allow bmx bikes around here.
    How about a skills park for both and a park for the BMX riders? Frankly, I have no idea the popularity of BMX in the area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lule View Post

Triangle: Not likely at this point. Live where you work; I have no desire to live in an anthill.

Thanks.

-Lule
    I think your only chance at making it work would be to locate as close to an anthill as possible (Raleigh or Charlotte). As others have said, riders generally don't travel to Asheville to be indoors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    I think your only chance at making it work would be to locate as close to an anthill as possible (Raleigh or Charlotte). As others have said, riders generally don't travel to Asheville to be indoors.
    Maybe so, but I have no desire to live near either of those areas. That will have to be someone else's deal...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I think it would be a great idea.

To put things in perspective for you, this thread has 520 some views, about as many as the yellow jacket thread one down from yours. This is simply the wrong forum to ask about an indoor bike park. Most of the people who frequent this forum are interested in XC or "All Mountain" type riding. Like I said, most of the people.

Try The South room at Ride Monkey, people in there are more versatile in their riding and are interested in slalom, bike parks, and jumping.

I bet it would do well. I know people who frequently travel to Ray's in the winter from this area, and further away. It's really more of a scene than anything.

You could have skills clinics from well known riders, foam pits, a concession stand, etc etc....it could be awesome.

A legit foam pit, dirt jump line, pump tracks and all that could be done really well here indoors. Consider having it open late, like midnight or so. Don't let anyone tell you it needs to be in some flat land parking lot.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Park. Very insightful.

I hadn't considered that are different forums/websites to mine differing perspectives. I feel that there are significant numbers of rides who visit the area to ride and feel that somewhere to go during inclement weather or to sharpen their skill set would be a nice addition to this destination area. I certainly don't think we need a park to replace the riding that we already have, but to enhance what we already have.

I wanted to travel to the Ray's in Cleveland, but of course it is currently closed for maintenance...figures. Maybe I can find a consultant when I go up there if this starts to get some legs.

I'll give Ride Monkey a try to see what the response is there.

Thank again,

-Lule

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast