Pisgah-Pale-Alien

Frame in need of some love

Anyone know of a sandblaster around the WNC area who'll strip down an old bike frame for cheap? I bought a beater roadie bike and wanna make it purty again.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Rogue Exterminator
    I have access to a sand blaster....but you hurt my feelings. lol

If you want to do it yourself, you could probably buy a sand blaster as cheap as paying somebody to do it for you (assuming you already have an air compressor). Then just pick a place outside to do it that you don't mind having a mess of sand (or whatever medium you use).
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Asheville Powdercoating blasted and powdered a frame for me a couple years ago for around a Benjamin. It wasn't "show quality" but it was definitely "I am going to ride the piss out of this, bounce it off trees, crash it in rocks, and generally abuse myself with it" quality...
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Barry Lowe at finish line powder coating could do it for cheap. He's sand blasted and powder coated a ton for me in the past. Hes located right where 74 turns into two lanes as if you're heading into fairview, he also builds racecar chassis if you needed one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've used paint stripper from Lowes with decent results. It was called Kleenstrip Aircraft paint remover. Paint it on scrape it off with steep wool or a metal bristle brush.

I've been told sandblasting Alu. frames isn't a great idea because it can wear on the metal and could "potentially" weaken the frame in certain areas. Not so much with steel frames because steel isn't as soft a metal. Media Blasting (nut shells) works better without weakening the aluminum.

I guess it would depend on the pressure and sand used though. Also if the frame isn't going to take alot of abuse it would be ok.
    Finding someone who can dip the frame would be ideal.

Good luck!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Thanks for all these ideas, even yours kjlued. I would go the professional route, like Asheville Paint and Powdercoat, if this was gonna be a nice bike. It's still gonna be a beater though, with the added luxury of one uniform coat of paint vs the 3 or 4 that are all peeling off it now. All the previous owners tried a new color on top of the last without any prepping. It looks it was dropped from an airplane into a landfill then spent a few years on the bottom of the ocean, and thats the good side. It just needs a good stripping and a few coats from a rattle can. Maybe I'll try the product from Lowes.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Asheville powder coat charged about 150% more than finish line, and he does everything. I plan on eventually tearing my 29er apart, stripping and rattle canning it myself, something fun to do and ya know, why not?! A rattle can job can look great if you have patience and a little time. Or you can just clear the paint and put a clear over it, rock a raw frame.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrimm View Post
    Asheville powder coat charged about 150% more than finish line, and he does everything. I plan on eventually tearing my 29er apart, stripping and rattle canning it myself, something fun to do and ya know, why not?! A rattle can job can look great if you have patience and a little time. Or you can just clear the paint and put a clear over it, rock a raw frame.
    So, just to be clear, you've had frames done by both business'? And who does "everything" and what does that include?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    It just needs a good stripping and a few coats from a rattle can. Maybe I'll try the product from Lowes.
    Paint stripper, an old paintbrush, eye protection and rubber gloves will probably be your best bet. I also like to wear an organic vapor respirator when working with caustic chemicals, but I am a safety nazi.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Found a guy in Brevard, blasted the frame fer $20. I woulda spent that on the stripper, brushes and steel wool. Anyone else need the same I'll give you his info.

Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Found a guy in Brevard, blasted the frame fer $20. I woulda spent that on the stripper, brushes and steel wool. Anyone else need the same I'll give you his info.

Im in the market to strip my project. Can u help with the name of the company!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    PM sent
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So is the consensus that sand blasting is NOT recommended for aluminum frames? Do any of the aforementioned folks offer the safer media blasting?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Or anyone know someone who will chemical dip?

I've stripped a frame with the airplane grade remover, but that stuff seriously sketches me out. Would much rather pay someone 20-40 bucks.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    I've heard that about aluminum and my guy only uses sand. Some sign makers in the area might use crushed walnut shells, that be yer best bet maybe.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Jeez. Doesn't seem like it should be so difficult to find someone local who would dip one.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Before and after

I call it the "cyclo-beater"
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Nice

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Kuston kruisers off Clear Creek Rd in Hendo did a great job. Chem strip/media blast and powder. $150 all in frame and fork.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Good to know, thanks claymun.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    (828) 606-1631 Bill is the owners name .tell him Cliff sent ya. Nice guy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

contact info

can you send me this guy's info?
    much appreciated!