mtbr member
    Jan 2012

FR 5002 in Pisgah?

Anyone ever been down FR 5002(Joel Branch Rd.) near Davidson River Campground?

Thought about setting up camp down it somewhere to ride for a few days. Close enough to ride into town, close to trails, but not right on the highway or around other folks.

At least it looks like that on the map.

Thanks.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    I hike that sometimes as far as Art Loeb then hook a left back down to Estatoe, alot of trail runners use that loop too. There's a pretty nice established camp spot close to the intersection with Art Loeb. I think thats a good choice for what yer wanting, right on.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    FYI, from the campground Joel Branch will be uphill (not down). This is a closed (to cars) FS road, sometimes a bit overgrown (but not this time of year). If looking for car camping, go past the Ranger Station and turn rt on gravel to find some nice roadside campsites.

At least it looks like that on the map.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks folks.

Im riding in not driving in. Not worried about climbs too much, its worth it to not camp in a "campground". I wouldn't camp on Avery Creek Rd if they paid me too. Its seems to have turned into a homeless camp/landfill. At least the sites down before the stables.

Its a shame too. Those could be some prime spots if they weren't so blown out.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    You on the YelliScreamy yet? Looks like its gonna be an awesome weekend, have a blast!
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    You on the YelliScreamy yet? Looks like its gonna be an awesome weekend, have a blast!
    Yep!

Its awesome. Running it with a Float 140mm, 50mm stem, and 740mm bars. It handles alot like my Nomad but climbs and carries speed alot better. Still getting used to those wagon wheels though...much different than a 26er haha

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Hey Banjo, how 'bout a ride (the Yelli) and camp (Joel Branch Rd) report.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sure thing Goose,

First FR 5002:

Our local club the Tarheel TrailBlazers (Tarheel TrailBlazers Charlotte's Premier Mountain Bike Club was camping in The Davidson River Campground. The plan was for my future wife to drive down after work and ride up FR 5002, find a spot and set up, then we'd ride into the Campground to socialize(Pabst) and plan the weekend. Well, she didnt make it on time and we ended up in the Campground night 1. I despise paying to camp, for many complex reasons that only make sense to me. We rode Dupont Saturday, came back, packed up, and I rode a ways up FR 5002 and found a really great spot off the road in the forest with a small feeder to Joel Branch. We had a nice open view of the eastern sky and a decent ridge to the west. The little feeder stream provided our water and kept the beer ice cold. Plenty of space and nice trees for our bear hang too.

With the close proximity to everything in the forest (trails and whatnot) and the short bike ride to bike shops and grocery stores made this a great spot to camp if you need a quick "get in, get out" close to town spot. I have a half dozen other favorite back country spots that are easy to ride to that I prefer for their remote feel, but I might start using this one more often. It was nice to ride to the trails, and then ride to get a beer at the Hub, then ride back to the campsite. My truck stayed safely parked at the ALT trail head the whole weekend too. I made a few re-supply runs to it but other than that I never had to use it until we left Sunday night.

The con's are its not quite remote enough for my tastes. The Ameri-Corps school is close and I could hear it ever now and then.

For this reason I can only give it 3.5 out of 5 Banjos...

For the Yelli:

The ride at Dupont was uneventful. Mostly because it was VERY social and we had about 30-40 people in our group. We stuck to the gravel and the only single track we rode was Ridgeline, Burnt Mtn. Corn Shoal something or other and thats it. That was the first time I had been to Dupont and I dunno If I'll go back being that the Pisgah gnar is just to close and much better IMO. The bike rode well except the new Float 140mm I had on it wasn't dialed in. It would stack up and had waaaay too much air so that didn't make for the best ride. It climbed awesome though.

Sunday was different...

Fixed the rebound on the fork, put proper air pressure in it, and made a few minor adjustments. We met at the Hub and shuttled to Turkey Pen. The ride was S. Mills -> Mullinax -> Squirrel -> Buckhorn -> Black Proper and back to the hub.

I was blown away on how awesome the Yelli rides. I got it dialed in and it felt like I was riding a rocket ship! It jumps, climbs, descends, and eats technical rocky and rooty sections like nothing. I cleaned every inch of Mullinax and Squirrel which is something I've only done once on my Nomad. Doing that on the second "mountain" ride on a new bike is pretty nuts. I was really impressed out how well it descends too. My Nomad is awesome on really technical stuff like Black proper but the Yelli didnt leave me wanting much more. Besides the noticeable roughness of riding a hardtail, I didnt feel like I need "more bike" on the Black proper descent.

With the agility of a 26" bike, the climbing prowess of a hardtail, and the slackness and geometry of an FS AM 6" travel bike...

I give the Yelli 4.5 out of 5 Banjos...

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Sure thing Goose,
    For the Yelli: I give the Yelli 4.5 out of 5 Banjos...
    Sweet, knew y'd like it! Come back and try DuPont again, its the **** for groomed trail around here. Give me a shout and I'll show ya around.
    Pisgah Forest NC