mtbr member

First trip to Pisgah/Dupont this weekend and would be nice to have GPS courses

We have a group coming from as far as Florida and Massachusetts to ride some of the best trails in W.NC. We plan on buying the trail map that some have suggested in other threads, but it would be really helpful it you guys could share some of your GPS courses of some of you favorite rides (Links to Garmin connect, Strava, or Mapmyride pages, gpx, kmz, or tcx files). Thanks in advance for any responses.

Big Mac

First trip to Pisgah/Dupont this weekend and would be nice to have GPS courses

I don't know what any of that stuff is. Except the map. Maps rock. Getcha some.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure which printed maps you are talking about but the best two are the waterproof Dupont State Forest map, 2012 version and the Pisgah Forest USFS Map. Be sure to check out The Hub and Sycamore Cycles in Pisgah Forest (the town) for great local knowledge tips (and the maps).

For a complete collection of downloadable GPS/GPX trail maps for Dupont Forest see Dupont State Forest Trail Guide and Maps

Rogue Exterminator
    Yeah, pretty much every bike shop sells them.
    Make sure you get the Western NC Trail Guide which is what I am pretty sure Marty is referring to. There is a Nat Geo one too, but he the WNCTG is much better.

Not going to recommend any routes because I have no idea what the level of riders are.
    I will say though that anything in DuPont and Bent Creek you are good to go.
    Parts of Pisgah though can be pretty rough.

Check out the Sticky at the top of this forum though and you will see some info.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I'd recommend stopping at a local shop down there and having them draw out a route for you on the maps.

This is the course that we did based on the The Hub's recommendation at Dupont, it was an awesome route
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | MTB - Dupont Forest near Pisgah Forest | Times and Records | Strava

Here's a loop for Black Mountain, took a wrong turn halfway up the climb though
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | - MTB - Black Mountain Loop near Pisgah Forest | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    I'd recommend stopping at a local shop down there and having them draw out a route for you on the maps.

This is the course that we did based on the The Hub's recommendation at Dupont, it was an awesome route
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | MTB - Dupont Forest near Pisgah Forest | Times and Records | Strava

Here's a loop for Black Mountain, took a wrong turn halfway up the climb though
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | - MTB - Black Mountain Loop near Pisgah Forest | Times and Records | Strava
    Perfect! Thanks again for those that have made recommendations. Looks like we're gonna head up to Kerr Scott to get away from the rain tomorrow, the we'll hit this route at Dupont Friday (depending on the weather), Pisgah on Saturday and Sunday.

Kjlued, as for the experience level of the group, I would say that it would be above average on fitness and skill. The guys from New England ride gnarly stuff in VT and NH all the time and the two from the south can hold our own (both of us did the Swank 65 a few years ago; just came in, raced, and left. Never got a chance to explore Pisgah outside of the race course)

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    Yes, please for the love of god buy a map. I hate having to try to draw maps on used napkins when people stroll over and say "We drove here from XXXX... Can you tell us what we should ride?"
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    Yes, please for the love of god buy a map. I hate having to try to draw maps on used napkins when people stroll over and say "We drove here from XXXX... Can you tell us what we should ride?"
    Draw them a map back to their car and then to the bike shop to buy a real map.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Draw them a map back to their car and then to the bike shop to buy a real map.
    That was pretty close to an interaction I had with a couple guys this at the Campground Connector parking lot

"How do we get to to Greens Lick?"

"Get back in your car, drive to the end of this road, turn left, and stop at one of the local bike shops for a MAP"
    Pisgah Area SORBA

... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    What's up guys? We have the same group of guys making the pilgrimage to Brevard again in a few weeks. There is a group that will be passing through Atlanta and I was wondering if there's anything worth hitting between there and Brevard. I was planning on stopping in Gainesville, GA and hitting Chicopee Woods but if there's something better on the way, I'd rather hit that. Not sure if we'll have enough daylight to get all the way up to Dupont or Pisgah, so that's why I'm looking for something along the way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Might want to check out Dausett or Conyers, south of Atlanta. Or if ya can make it to Greenville, SC. Paris MTN. If your taking I95 up (which it doesn't look that way) you could hit up FATS.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Hour and a bit west from Atlanta is Coldwater Mtn in Anniston Al. Its IMBA's newest tail system in the southeast and quite frankly it's stellar and well worth the side trip if you have the time.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the feedback. Looks like Paris Mtn fits the bill. It's right off the hwy on the way up. I've ridden all the other trails that were suggested.

Goose, you're spot on about CWM. That's the day trip of choice for me and most of the guys I ride with down here in the FL panhandle. It should be a great weekend trip once they get it all built out. I think the master plan is for 60+ miles of trail once it's all said and done.

So, how easy is it to follow the trails at Paris Mtn? It sounds like, based on what I've read on this forum, that it gets a fair amount of traffic. It would be pretty late in the day by the time I get there and getting lost that close to dark would be no bueno.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I rode Chicopee Woods while passing through last fall and really liked the trails. They're pretty curvy and fun but not super technical so you won't have to worry about breaking a collarbone or something before you get to the really good stuff in Brevard.

They advertise water being available at the trailhead but when I was there it was turned off due to the drought in the area. If you guys decide to ride there be sure to fill up your bottles/Camelbak before you leave home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Paris is pretty simple to follow. You will be fine.