Jamin, Applesause, No?

First time to DSF. You guys have a beautiful trail system.

Went to DSF this weekend. biked the West side. Parked at Cornmill Shoals.
    The ride was shorter then I hoped for but that was partially due to a flat tire my buddy had on the trail, and needing to get back home (to watch the kids) so my wife could go out shopping.
    The climbs were not as long as I had imagined but more technical then I have seen. My SB8 rear tire spun out a lot of the way up 2 trails and I had to walk many a section... felt like such a noob. (I need someone to show me the line choices some time. )
    The views from the top were amazing though. I should have brought my DSLR for a photo shoot. I tried snapping some with my phone but they came out to be some of the worst looking photos I have ever seen. If a regular camera adds 10 pounds,my cell camera added 30.
    The desents where a lot of fun. I liked hitting the rock outcropping on the sides to get some air. But it was nice that you had choices on the downs, I could see my wife being able to handle most everything out there.
    I will definatly be back soon.
    How much longer of a season do we still have left for riding DSF. Will the freezing temps keep bikers off the wet rocks?

Anyhoo - Great ride. Beautiful scenes, well marked trails, and easy to get around.

Thread Killer
    Glad you liked it ... but with limited time, you've only begun to experience the DuPont State Forest Pump Track!

DSF will be year-round unless we get snow again like last year. It gets a bit mucky in the sand when it's wet, but especially the ridge-top trails stay in pretty good shape. Just want to avoid the river crossing in February is all.

Great ride is to park at the farm, hit Ridgeline and climb back via Jim Branch and Isaac Heath. Ripping descent + tech-ish climbs = FUN. Then make your way on Conservation Road to the Airstrip for another ripping downhill.

On the west side, Burnt Mtn (maybe that's what you hit?) is awesome ... clockwise is my fave, giving you the tabletops at the beginning and the rock descent at the end ...

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Warm Up L Longside #53, L Pine Tree # 59, L Cascade Lake Rd, R Quary Rd #68, L Micajah #54, L Wilkie #90
    Ride Big Rock #3, R Cedar Rock #16, R Little River #51, L Corn Mill Shoals #19, R Burnt Mountain #11, L Corn Mill Shoals #19.

This is the route we took. Added a little bit of trail by taking a Left on Cedar rock.
    Where is the farm?
    I will try to get back out there again in a couple weeks and maybe hop from one parking lot to the next to get a little more of the whole thing.
    I did not see any hunters or hunters vehicles on the west side. Do I need to be concerned with wearing Orange on the other trails?

mtbr member

More DSF Rides...

SSB-check the PAS site for more DSF rides--here's a link:

http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?cat=16

And here's a map online:

http://www.dupontforest.com/images/2007FODFMapFront.jpg

Guion Farm is on the east side of the Forest off Sky Valley Road.

DSF is only open to hunting on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, and hunters only get DSF permits via a lottery system. So there are fewer hunters on the property, and they are accustomed to MTBs being a dominant Forest user. Hunters are off-trail, bikes are on-trail, and my interactions with hunters there have generally been good. Note that the next three weeks (beginning today!) make up WNC's rifle season for deer--wearing orange ain't stupid.

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!