mtbr member

First ride in Clemson area and need a bit of advice.

Was thinking about hitting Issaqueena/Fants grove area tomorrow just for something different besides Dupont/Pisgah/Paris Mtn and I have no clue where to start or what the quality routes are. Found a couple maps of the area (Fants http://www.clemson.edu/cafls/cef/documents/trails09.pdf and Issaqueena https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhokwfja1m...te%20Orig..jpg ) If anyone has a favorite route there I'd appreciate the recommendation.

mtbr member
    That's funny, this AVL resident is in Seneca right now and rode Clemson today. I've heard Fants is all horsed the hay up, notice it is not on the upstate sorba site. My dad's not-so-new computer won't open your Clemson map. There are new trails signs everywhere, so if your map has names, you will be fine. I rode for 2.5 hrs out there today, I was taking my time. Approximately, did following and found it super fun:
    Main parking>collarbone>sasquatch>hardwood>rocky>Indian springs>rocky>isaqueena>a road>pine>lawrence>collarbone>parking>dam trail>a road>gideons>triple creek for a long ways>back to anthill> anthill>triple creek>gideons>double>a road>dam trail across from where i entered gideons, double comes in there too>"summer rain">lawrence>collarbone>parking. If I hadn't been taking time and knew every turn, this could have been in 2 hours. There's about an hour more of trail further out triple creek (double fork, hunting arrow). All of this was super fun XC trail with the last 1/2 being much more narrow/ less ridden.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations. Rode about 2.5 hours out there today with the wife and while the trails were a bit hairy for her with all the pine needles slicking things up I'm looking forward to coming back myself and screwing around. Be nice in the summer to stop and take a swim in the lake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Isaqueena in very nice. You can put together a ton of miles out there in a single ride. Just go out and explore. Very hard to get lost out there. Alo, don't ovelook the Dowyle Bottom area. Pretty awesom stuff there as well.

I would second staying away from Fants Grove. It was one of the first places I started riding and no way I would go back now. The horses have really left htere mark..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    That's funny, this AVL resident is in Seneca right now and rode Clemson today. I've heard Fants is all horsed the hay up, notice it is not on the upstate sorba site. My dad's not-so-new computer won't open your Clemson map. There are new trails signs everywhere, so if your map has names, you will be fine. I rode for 2.5 hrs out there today, I was taking my time. Approximately, did following and found it super fun:
    Main parking>collarbone>sasquatch>hardwood>rocky>Indian springs>rocky>isaqueena>a road>pine>lawrence>collarbone>parking>dam trail>a road>gideons>triple creek for a long ways>back to anthill> anthill>triple creek>gideons>double>a road>dam trail across from where i entered gideons, double comes in there too>"summer rain">lawrence>collarbone>parking. If I hadn't been taking time and knew every turn, this could have been in 2 hours. There's about an hour more of trail further out triple creek (double fork, hunting arrow). All of this was super fun XC trail with the last 1/2 being much more narrow/ less ridden.
    Sounds like a nice route, I need to ride that the next time I go there.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem