mtbr member

First ride @ Kitsuma

Pretty fun and technical trail. I clocked it right at 10 miles for the loop. Is there anyway to make this ride longer? I really need to work on my descending skills! I got shown up again today.

white boy extraordinaire

If there's a will...

Plume,

There is a way to integrate this into the Heartbreak Ridge loop. However, I will not even begin to explain for fear of you trying it for the first time by yourself. Too many turnoffs to mention and I believe you can get supremely lost in this area. Lots of unmapped trails. This will also increase the the loop by ~22miles and 4500' of climbing,. Also, Heartbreak, i don't think, can't be done between Oct 1 thru Jan 1 for hunting season. But I would really try to impose yourself on a ride with someone who knows their way around up there b/c it is one of, if not, the best loops in WNC. It took me a year and a half in A'ville to find someone to guide me up there, but WELL worth it, and I didn't touch kitsuma.

Now, I really like doing kitsuma as an out and back, parking at the Old Fort Picnic area. Forget old HWY 70. Just climb up kitsuma. The s'backs downward are FUN and then do it backwards. Its a great climbing lesson and then you get a good dh as a reward and makes the ten miles much more difficult.

Cheers,

CMW
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

drunken pirate
    If you follow Jeremy's directions - http://www.mtngoatepics.com/longheartbreakridge.htm and also follow National Geographic Map #779 you should be able to add on Heartbreak Ridge without a problem. Not only will get to work on your descending but will get a nice climb taboot!

My understanding of the hunting regs is that the section of Heartbreak coming from the old toll road via Montreat is closed during bear season (it is private property, after all). If you are coming from Curtis Creek it should be okay to ride year round, correct?

mtbr member
    thanks for the info guys. I need to bookmark the mtngoat page.

I think what's slowing me down a lot on Kitsuma is the blind corners. I'm riding a hardtail and I have to really really really look down the trail a good long way to pick the best line - when I get into situations where I can't really see the trail ahead of me I panic and grab a bunch of brake. I noticed when the trail opened up and I could see in front of me I was going much faster. Still there are sections that are really washed out now and I just couldn't hang.

Egos heal faster than bones though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think that is the reason that most people enjoy riding Kitsuma. It is just tight enough and with all of the switchbacks it really keeps you on your toes. I've been riding Kitsuma for the last 7 years and I still love it. It isn't quite the high speed trail that trace ridge is, but you can really kick it up after you ride it a few times.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Now that we've given you kudos...delete this thread. The fewer know about it...the better.

Oh...and do NOT frick with the bear hunters. They are NOT kidding.
    I am not a "Role Model"

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Before you delete this, could someone tell me how Kitsuma compares to Heartbreak? I know it's obviously longer but I'm looking for how it compares technical/difficulty wise. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drkenan
    Before you delete this, could someone tell me how Kitsuma compares to Heartbreak? I know it's obviously longer but I'm looking for how it compares technical/difficulty wise. Thanks!

I wish I knew. Unfortunately as of oct 1st that trail is closed until the end of hunting season.

mtbr member
    1st Rule of Fight Club!

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    ...as of oct 1st that trail is closed until the end of hunting season.
    anyone know when hunting season closes?
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Bear Season is open from October 16th to November 18th and then again from December 11th to January 1st.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    Bear Season is open from October 16th to November 18th and then again from December 11th to January 1st.
    thanks!

interesting, we are there Nov 18th to 21st, should be good timeing since we should be late enough to catch the seasonal stuff and also late enough to miss hunting season.
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    thanks!

interesting, we are there Nov 18th to 21st, should be good timeing since we should be late enough to catch the seasonal stuff and also late enough to miss hunting season.
    Wrong thought process. Bear season pales in comparison. HUNTING season for deer is right near it's peak at the point you'll be here. You can't do Heartbreak Ridge until AFTER Jan. 1. Kitsuma is non-seasonal, open year round. Just stay away from riding Bent Creek on those dates and you should avoid any bow hunters or..."sneak" rifle hunters.
    Good news for you though...gun season for dear starts a few days after you leave. Bad for us though...
    I am not a "Role Model"

XC Champion
    May 2006
    I've never ridden Heartbreak but on the map it looks like the actual trail is part of the national forest system, so shouldn't it still be accessible during bear season if you go all the way around to the parkway?

mtbr member

yep..

You will have to go up Curtis Creek to the parkway and stay off the toll road though .The other option would be a shuttle but that would be rather lame and a lot of trouble for a 30-45 minute ride...

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thadthetroll
    You will have to go up Curtis Creek to the parkway and stay off the toll road though .The other option would be a shuttle but that would be rather lame and a lot of trouble for a 30-45 minute ride...
    Shuttle...lame? Nah...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch
    Wrong thought process. Bear season pales in comparison. HUNTING season for deer is right near it's peak at the point you'll be here. You can't do Heartbreak Ridge until AFTER Jan. 1. Kitsuma is non-seasonal, open year round. Just stay away from riding Bent Creek on those dates and you should avoid any bow hunters or..."sneak" rifle hunters.
    Good news for you though...gun season for dear starts a few days after you leave. Bad for us though...
    hm, so I ran across a turkey hunter at BC back in the spring and I thought it was a little odd for people to hunt in an area like that. Is BC really that popular to hunt? Kinda sucks. I'm assuming people do still ride it though, probably bright colors and a bell wouldn't hurt?

further research indicates that I really need a bike w/ skinny tires to ride year round here...

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Let's just say that cartoon where Daffy looks up to about 100 guns in a circle around the moment they say "Duck Season"......well...umm...yeah...
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch
    Let's just say that cartoon where Daffy looks up to about 100 guns in a circle around the moment they say "Duck Season"......well...umm...yeah...