Hi There!

FATS and Abbeville trails in SC...worth a trip?

I was thinking about taking a roadie up to these trail systems, can anyone give a status report? The reviews on this site are good, but not very up to date. Thanks.

I just saw the trail org website which has good info, should have looked for that before posting, but still, any advice on these trails is welcome.
    Last edited by thegweed; 06-08-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Update
    NTFTC

\m/{-_-}\m/

FATS is an IMBA Epic with 40 miles of super smooth, super fast rolling trail. It's always worth the drive. When you say Abbeville do you mean Long Cane Horse Trail? Nice trails if you're in the area, but not worth a trip just to ride. Similar to FATS but not as smooth and not as well maintained. Less trail and harder to navigate.

I've heard great things about Modoc over that way too, but I've never ridden it.

Hi There!
    Thanks Sun Burn! Wife and daughter are going to Japan for a month so I'ma do some roaming around...this FATS sounds cool. I was talking about Long Cane but only because i noticed it was near FATS, you helped me find some other places near there. Pysched.
    NTFTC

mtbr member

Re: FATS and Abbeville trails in SC...worth a trip?

I think Long Cane is big fun. Just get a map and go. You can't get too lost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member

Just about all of long cane has been freshly cut, lopped, big non-rider trees removed. We got hammered with rain on Friday so it should be good Monday. Check www.greenwoodmtb.us for maps and routes. There are some places you could get lost if you've never been before.

Hi There!
    Thanks folks.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    The only place I ever had trouble finding my way is between H and J on the map. Just take a shortcut on the road between these two points and you should be fine.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Here are some good resources for FATS and trails in the surrounding area:

TRAILS

Home | SORBA-CSRA Community Bulletin Board

You might also want to try the SORBA-CSRA facebook page, lots of helpful info to be had there as well.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    FATS is a lot of fun with 37 miles of fast flowing singletrack. No real technical riding at all. Just fun! The CSRA has close to 150 miles of singletrack, lot of places t explore and ride. Many riders are connecting Bartram, Keg and Mistletoe for a 65ish mile ride. I feel Long Cane (mainly since it is a good hour drive from Augusta) is a little secret just waiting to be ridden more. It is a great mix of old school riding, creek crossing with some flow sections thrown in.

If you camping, stay at Petersburg (Corp. of Engineers) in my opinion the best place to stay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Add me to the LCHT Fan Club. Hidden gem that is super fun and smooth. Running the top loop CCW I had more fun there than at FATS (although FATS is great too). It was around 16 miles with the last few being a nice steady climb to the finish. Great stuff.

Hi There!
    I appreciate all the help already given; I was trying hard to find when is hunting season around FATS and Long Cane, I will be up there sometime between July 25 and 21. Can anyone help with that info? Also, if i showed up to either of these on a Friday morning, which one would have a better chance of seeing other riders out on the trail? Thanks once again.
    NTFTC

\m/{-_-}\m/

Hunting season is roughly October to January, but don't quote me on that.

FATS will always have more riders than LCHT. I've only ridden LCHT three times, but I never saw another rider any of those times.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I dont think anything (deer, turkey, dove) is in season now. You should be ok. I hope to get out there when I get a decent bike. I do trail run on LCHT a good bit.

mtbr member
    Rode FATS couple weeks ago. great trail system! I stayed at Petersburg great campground. Just pick a site away from the bath rooms. folks drove back and forth to the one above my tent all night! lol
    I would suggest an early ride. I rode from 8am to 11 at which point I was ready to keel over from the heat and humidity.(Im from the Banner Elk Beech Mtn area originally So not used to the heat)
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    FATS by far will have more riders. I live 10 minutes away and seldom have an empty lot now. However even when there is a full lot (70+ cars) there is still plenty of trail to make it feel you are out there by yourself.

I recommend Petersburg Campground if camping. 10ish minute drive to FATS with the added bonus of Bartram for an easy morning/night ride.

Nothing is in season for hunting. Tends to be September to New Years.

Hi There!
    Thanks everyone, looking forward to it.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    Many riders are connecting Bartram, Keg and Mistletoe for a 65ish mile ride.
    That sounds interesting. Do you know the route they are using?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The Bartram, Keg is easy. After you finish bartram just cross the street. The connection to Mistletoe goes up a four wheeler trail about 8 miles into Keg. here is the link to the sorba-csra trail section TRAILS

here is the Thurman Epic: (Bartram, Keg and Mistletoe) ROUTES 67 miles with 3 miles (6 total) of pavement. The rest singletrack and about 1 mile of doubletrack.

the trail section also has a "connector" section. which has a few other routes. I have been toying with the idea of connecting Bartram to FATS. would have about 4-5 miles of pavement. A few other localriders connected Mistletoe, keg, bartram, Modoc, Turkey Creek and Wine Creek for an 80+ mile ride last fall. They spoted cars and water along the route

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Anyone up for riding with a rookie in this area when this rain finally quits?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Jeremy, if you are from the area I would suggest the Explore the Trail Series through sorba-csra. these are monthly rides in the CSRA. Great way to meet riders and hit some of the other trails. Believe Aug 4th at Keg Creek is the next one. also Andy Jordans does a Wednesday ride of the Canal at 6pm(?)

It is fairly easy to meet folks at FATS and some will not mind you tagging along for a loop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Thanks a lot man ill look into that