mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Enoree Passage of Palmetto Trail on Saturday Jan 8

On Saturday (Jan 8) a friend and I will be riding Section 3 of the Enoree Passage of the Palmetto Trail and all are welcome to join us. The pace will be casual (probably 6-8 MPH average) with pauses to shoot photos of bridges and stuff on the way. We will be starting at the north trailhead at Sedalia campground which is near Cross Anchor, SC (about 30 minutes from Spartanburg and 60 minutes from Greenville).

This will be a there-and-back ride totaling (according to the map) around 24 miles with a lunch break. I have never ridden this trail but have been told it ranges about a 4 or 5 on a difficulty scale of 10.

Don't forget to bring your helmet, lunch and whatever snacks you require. Enough water for the entire ride will also be needed unless you bring something to filter or purify available water along the way. We will be crossing several streams including the Enoree River, all bridged

Blastoff time from the parking area at Sedalia campground is 9:30 AM sharp.

For a map of the trail as well as directions to Sedalia Campground, go to the following website

http://www.palmettoconservation.org/...reewebmap3.pdf

See you there.
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 01-03-2011 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I got tired of seeing that big fat "0" under the replies and decided to reply to myself.

Hello Mr. stumpbumper. What a wonderful ride that must be. I and a dozen so of my friends who work at Hooters there in Cross Anchor will join you. We are also bringing free beer and fried chicken and pizza for everyone. Is there anything else we might bring?

See you there.

Last edited by stumpbumper; 01-05-2011 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hello there. Looking forward to seeing you and your friends. Did I mention that we might have a drawing for a free trip to MOAB?

ATTENTION EVERYONE ELSE!!!!! This ride is now closed. Sorry you will miss all that free beer and fried chicken and a possible shot at MOAB.
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 01-05-2011 at 08:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    A trip to MOAB? Wow. I'll bet that's the one that Dave Wiens told me he will be leading. Will bringing even more free beer and fried chicken increase the odds of my winning the trip?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Wiens is quite busy so Senor StrongBad and -eddie. might be willing to lead..

Last edited by stumpbumper; 01-05-2011 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Are Senor StrongBad and -eddie. as good as I have heard?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Even better. I rode Southside with them last week and they dropped me 50 yards from the parking area.

banned
    In case you haven't noticed, there are mainly just e-riders here. Hope you find someone to join you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks. Actually, I was just having fun. I already have someone doing the ride with me.

Happy Trails.

mtbr member
    Dude, if I got upset every time I posted a ride and nobody came, I would be living on Bull St. by now.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I woudl love to join you but my riding hours do not start after 1:30pm, when my toddler and New born go down for their afternoon naps. Hope it is a good ride. I hope to make it sometime soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I already knew you were squeezing mountan biking into family responsibilities and I certainly can understand that.. Like I said before, I'm just having a bit of fun with this thread.

How is the potty training progressing?

I've not ridden Croft/Palmetto Trail lately and have yet to ride the new part that was recently opened. Let me know if you decide to ride it.

-eddie.
    I'm sorry, as much as I'd like to ride. I've made plan to squeeze a short ride in at 9am on Saturday. Perhaps in the future, I've personally never ridden Enoree, but I'd love to in the future.
    I would go if I hadn't planned a ride with my friends or had people coming to my house at 11.

And we're not that good. You should've seen me in the end; like a beat puppy. I suck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Post the Elevation profile and pics when you get back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I didnt even realize this trail was so close to the house. Does anyone know what its like singletrack, fireroads or what

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have never ridden it so I called the USDA Forest Service office in Union (864-427-9858) and spoke with a lady by the name of Alice who had good answers to all my questions. According to her, the entire three sections (about 36 miles) consists of rolling terrain over both single track and fire roads. She went on to say that the southernmost section (section 1) has the most fireroad riding. A part of section 1 is multiple-use including horses and all the rest of the entire trail is mountain biking, hiking and hunting only (no horses). Deer hunting season there is now closed.

Interesting that you would say you were not aware of a trail so close to home because one of the things Alice mentioned is mount bikers have yet to discover it in decent numbers. The name of the trail is a bit confusing since it actually is in Sumter National Forest.

Really good maps (which she says are quite accurate) are available online by doing a search for Enoree Passage of the Palmetto Trail, section 1. You will have to do individual searches for the other two sections with the same search name except for changes in section numbers.

A friend and I are mainly riding section 3 on Saturday to check it out. If it is nice we plan to later in the year bikepack the entire 38 miles, camp for the night, and then ride back to the start point at Saluda Campground the next day.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper
    I already knew you were squeezing mountan biking into family responsibilities and I certainly can understand that.. Like I said before, I'm just having a bit of fun with this thread.

How is the potty training progressing?

I've not ridden Croft/Palmetto Trail lately and have yet to ride the new part that was recently opened. Let me know if you decide to ride it.
    Potty training is going great. I only pooped in my pants 1 time today. 2 times yesterday. I am able to make it to the toilet in time for #1 but #2 keeps sneaking up on me! HA.