mtbr member

Emerald Outback ride route

What's a good route to ride? Don't want to find myself climbing the tech, only to descend the forest road.

mtbr member
    wait for the lifts to open(see ski beech for dates and time) Otherwise pick up a map at town hall, run shuttle to buckeye lake. Follow the gravel road to the top of Emerald out back hook a right take a left across powerlines and work your way down westbowl to the lake and your ride.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Interesting, how do you access the Emerald trail from the upper lift and how would you get back to the lower lift (the road)? I've ridden the DH trail but didn't realize the Emerald trails where available.

mtbr member
    Offcamber-They xc trails are an entirely different trail network. They were pretty much rake and ride but are fun. They are on the oz/westbowl/eagle's nest side of the mountain. You don't need a shuttle to ride if you are on a trail bike and a dh bike is overkill.

mtbr member

Thx. That all seems pretty cryptic to me. There's a map, with trail names. I just wondered which way I should run them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Offcamber-They xc trails are an entirely different trail network. They were pretty much rake and ride but are fun. They are on the oz/westbowl/eagle's nest side of the mountain. You don't need a shuttle to ride if you are on a trail bike and a dh bike is overkill.
    Thanks Brad, might have to look them up one of my weekends at Beech.

mtbr member
    Swoodbrn-you can ride either direction. You will have to experiment and see which way you like best.

mtbr member

Thx. I'll take it as it comes.

mtbr member
    Well, rode it all and liked it. Hare Turns was good both ways. No long climbs or descents, so really doesn't matter which way you run the trails. The stuff toward the West Bowl (Eagles West?) was good. There was some newly cut trail that I sampled and liked a lot; it ended up crossing the powerline and diving down the other side. Would have really liked to descend all that, but didn't have the time/desire to climb back up (as it was, I climbed up the powerline to get back to the main trail intersection). Never found the downhill course but that's ok. Definitely an awesome environment, good signage. Nice change of pace from Rocky Knob and Pisgah proper. No shortage of roots.

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    The way I ran the race up there, and the way I think it flows best is to ride up from the Visitors Center on the Summer Road across the ski slope, after you go through the second gate, bear right, then take a left at the trail head (Oz Forest Tr). Follow that along the road, and through the 4-way intersection (Wizard Way) do a climb, pass the overlook, then do a fun descent, which will kick you out on the road. Go straight across onto Oz Forest Extension, staying left until you get kicked back out on the gravel road. Go right and climb past the junk yard, bear right and continue climbing the gravel past Grassy Rd Tr 1, then when you are almost at the top, go left on Overlook Tr. Stay right (unless you want to check out the Overlook) until you end up on a jeep road adjacent to what looks like a tank trap. Go right on the jeep road, and then take a left onto chamberlains loop. This will descend until a small drop onto grassy road 2, which you will climb a short distance before turning left. Fast descent then hit the berm that takes you right onto the Horseshoe trail. Here is where it gets tricky (and it not on the town map or Google), but is on my race map Future XC Loop - Beech Mountain, NC. The trail descends fast, and then takes a hard right - the first right will take you on another loop which comes back to the second right about 10 feet down the trail. Off the lower part of the extension is "Stack's Folly" - the Super D trail I built - as well as the new trail Moto Mike built to climb back up from the powerlines not far from where the Super-D crosses it.
    Otherwise, the Horseshoe loop continues out to the powerlines, where you go right, and follow to the end where it turns up onto Grassy Road 1. Take that almost all the way back to the gravel road and turn right on Hare Turns, follow all the way back to the 4-way sign you passed on Hare Turns Connector, but stay left to follow the trail almost back to the road and stay left as it bends back into the woods on Jackalope's Mile. Follow this all the way until you finally get kicked out on the pavement. Now cross the street and enter Wizards Way, go straight through the 4-way intersection you crossed near the beginning of the ride, and continue uphill until you hit the pavement. Turn right, and follow almost all the way to the top of the lift. Take a right onto Emerald Forest trail, and when you hit the clearing, stay left to go back to the XC loop, or go right to hit the DH run.