Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

DuPont trail conditions

Trail conditions in DuPont have been awesome this fall, hard packed, dry and rolling nicely. Having been gone for 5+ months I was eager to get out on the trails in the past few weeks and see how well they held up to the 100+" of rain we have had this year. The trails held up great, I saw almost no signs of a summer of heavy rain on all the purpose built singletrack (fall line old roads certainly eroded).

Weather events this past week was a shitestorm for trail conditions: 2+" of rain followed by 1" of snow and then really cold (a few nights of 18 degrees). All that in just a couple days time and the wet with cold has set up freeze/thaw and muddy conditions on some trails in DuPont. Problem trails are those with clay based soils, sandier soil trails should be fine.

Reasonover was bad today (11/29), so bad that I will recommend closure to forest management to protect trail tread and all the good work that happened on that trail this spring. Other suspects: Airstrip, Mine Mountain, Laurel Ridge. This means parking at Fawn Lake right now will be the worst choice, consider other parking areas and ride trails in other sections of DuPont (or ride early while ground is frozen). I will continue to offer updates based on my inspections and others are encouraged to offer trail condition reports here as well.
    Last edited by Woodman; 03-16-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Today we rode Cascade, Pine Tree, Longside, Twixt, Wilkie and Micajah
    ...all good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Today we rode Cascade, Pine Tree, Longside, Twixt, Wilkie and Micajah
    ...all good.
    All those are on the sandy side. I would also expect Ridgeline and Jim Branch to be good to go, will check them out over the weekend and report back. Thanks for your post and report on these trails.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Yup, thats why we rode that side and only found a spot or two holding moisture. The biggest hazzard was the ice on slab at the top of Cascade and top of Micajah, always makes for interesting traction.

Rogue Exterminator
    Jim Branch and Ridgeline are fine. I rode then Thanksgiving.

Three and that side of Pitch Pine need some work.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rode out of Lake Imaging yesterday 12-7. Jim Branch,Hilltop,& Ridgline were great.... Even after hard rains from night before.

Rogue Exterminator
    All of DuPont is cold and wet today.

I didn't see it first hand, just call it an intuition.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Highly advisable that Reasonover should probably be avoided during the winter months. Rode it last week before the rains returned and after 4 days of sun and still a sploogy slop-fest. The red clay composit there just can't handle bike traffic on top of the freeze-thaw effect.

Like Jim Lauderdale and Donna the Buffalo says ..."Wait til spring".

Now you got that song in yer head, don't ya.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Reasonover Creek Trail is now closed due to freeze/thaw and mud conditions. The trail will reopen when the weather stabilizes. Please respect this closure and help protect this trail during winter months and help spread the word. I will keep all posted and up to date when the trail re-opens.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Reasonover Creek Trail is now closed due to freeze/thaw and mud conditions. The trail will reopen when the weather stabilizes. Please respect this closure and help protect this trail during winter months and help spread the word. I will keep all posted and up to date when the trail re-opens.
    Funny thing is, I said to my buddy today that I wish they would close that trail during the winter and make it a seasonal trail. Great trail but it just shouldn't be used by any user group this time of year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Glad we could make your wish come true. It will not be an always closed in the winter type of thing, always winter and weather dependent. So far, the winter this weather has been a perfect recipe for bad trail conditions.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Glad we could make your wish come true. It will not be an always closed in the winter type of thing, always winter and weather dependent. So far, the winter this weather has been a perfect recipe for bad trail conditions.
    It doesn't take much for reasonover to get bad.
    My real wish would be it wouldn't need closing but I just don't soil conditions will allow that.
    It is a great trail but I pretty much avoid it all winter regardless. Maybe I will ride it if there is a good solid freeze.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Maybe I will ride it if there is a good solid freeze.
    Umm, not if its closed.

WNC Native
    Thanks Woody!! Glad to see it happen, maybe now all the recent work won't be destroyed.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That is the idea, protect the recent work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Umm, not if its closed.

Lol
    Last edited by Muxherdlr; 05-20-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Rogue Exterminator
    Umm, not if its closed.
    Thanks for pointing that out Captain Obvious.

Name:  cptobvious.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  19.3 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Is all of Reasonover closed? Hopefully it is open to the Turkey Knob trail junction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Is all of Reasonover closed? Hopefully it is open to the Turkey Knob trail junction.
    Sorry, but all of Reasonover is closed. You can use Pinnacle Mountain Road to climb up to gain access to the new Turkey Knob Connector. That is a nice uphill gravel road with good views.

banned
    Aug 2013
    Funny how the trails with the most recent work are the ones that get closed first.I'm wondering if this "work" has been done correctly.From the boastful typing's of these supposed trail experts it seems odd that a trail they worked on would need to be closed.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch on 1206 View Post
    Funny how the trails with the most recent work are the ones that get closed first.I'm wondering if this "work" has been done correctly.From the boastful typing's of these supposed trail experts it seems odd that a trail they worked on would need to be closed.

Actually it makes perfect sense that a trail that had recent work or was recently built would be closed after heavy rains or in the winter when the freeze/thaws are happening and right now we are getting both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Has it occurred to you that maybe, just maybe it has more to due with soil types, what direction the trail faces (north or south), elevation of trail in relation to other trails, ridgetops and other geography features, presence of hydrology (streams, rivers) holding moisture in low lying valleys etc?

Many trails in DuPont got worked on under the same contract by the same contractor and with the same work prescription. Reasonover is the only one that needed to be closed, so maybe, just maybe it has nothing to do with whether the work was done correctly as you have suggested here. The decision to close one was based on real-time inspections on almost a weekly basis and monitoring conditions frequently and after different weather related events (rain, hard freezes etc.). For the record, most trails in DuPont are doing quite well this winter season despite a combination of winter related events that do have an effect on trail tread conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Actually it makes perfect sense that a trail that had recent work or was recently built would be closed after heavy rains or in the winter when the freeze/thaws are happening and right now we are getting both.
    BINGO! We are not the only area that deals with freeze/thaw, all you have to do is a bit of hunting around this here interwebs tool and find lots of places dealing with similar issues:
    2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

DuPont is known as one of the better draining trail systems in western NC. Winter however is a very different monster.

WNC Native
    It has absolutely nothing to do with the trail work as Woody stated. Reasonover had these same issues, well before the recent trail work was performed.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Another point for Sassy
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast