Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

DuPont trail conditions 2013

Starting a new thread for trail conditions in DuPont 2013, maybe the same can happen for Pisgah and these can get a skicky. At the start of your post, please indicate the date of the ride or trail experience (on foot running or hiking) and that will help folks track current conditions w/o having to weed though a ton of posts.

Sat. 1/12/13- Conditions are muddy in many places. This is the result of freeze/thaw, lots of slow rain and many folks out taking advantage of really warm temps. Bikes and horses have churned up a number of trails in places and the net result is mud. This mainly applies to trails with mostly clay based soils, many other trails that have a sandier mix are fine.

Current trails affected: Mine Mtn, Laurel Ridge, Reasonover Creek. Please avoid this and minimize tread damage if possible during the next period of time, we have more rain in the forecast.

I am posting what I heard from others today, I was not out myself (working on bike workshop clean up project- New Year resolution).

Woody
    Last edited by Woodman; 01-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    If you change your sort options you can have the latest post show up first. Or if you click on the little arrow just under the last poster at the right of the thread it will go directly to the last post. It is actually kind of good to have a running trail condition post so visitors can see the history of trail conditions.
    VP Pisgah Area Sorba
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Rode about 12 miles today... 1/13
    Jim Branch = Excellent + shape, only 1 muddy hole, even was enough traction to ride the damp rocky stairs at the start of the climb
    Isaac Heath = Excellent only a couple of muddy holes
    Locust = Excellent - kinda damp, more muddy areas in this short section
    Hilltop = Good - muddy in many spots, typical with a newer trail
    Buck Forest = Buck forest...gravel never gets too bad
    Pitch Pine = Excellent
    Three Rivers = Not too good but way better than I thought it would be
    Pine tree = excellent
    Hooker Creek = Excellent except when you get to the bottom near the creek, muddy holes here
    Ridgeline = Excellent except very wet (not muddy holes) when you get to the bottom in the shady pine tree area
    You can do a lot in a lifetime, If you don't burn out too fast...First you need endurance, First you've got to last...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great report, thanks for posting conditions on these trails. I had good plans to get out, but still cleaning the bike workshop (big project).

Rogue Exterminator
    Did a quick 10 mile today and considering all the rain on Friday and the little yesterday and today it wasn't too bad. I will skip the forest road as it it is never too bad.

Started at Buck Forrest
    Pitch Pine and three lakes were not to bad. A few little mud holes but nothing you couldn't ride through
    Shelter Rock was fine
    Cornmill from Shelter to Laurel Ridge was fine
    Laurel Ridge was slick. A little muddy but not horrible. I would however avoid if possible to avoid damage to trail.
    Small section of Mine from Laurel to Fawn Lake was fine but that is just a tiny section.
    Airstrip had a few slick spots but nothing horrible.

Then I just came back the way I went in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have been out walking trails over the past 2 days. Walking trails in a good rain is the best way to figure out what is working and what is not. I am guessing the harder rain has washed some of the loose muck off of some of the trails reported to be problematic. I stayed on the Corn Mill parking area of the forest and trails there are a sandier soil and were wet, but generally in good shape.

Soils are however very wet and when it turns cold again freeze/thaw will kick in and provide for continued problems on trails with mostly clay.

mtbr member
    whats the chance of dupont being dried out enough for a ride tomorrow or think it's a better bet for sunday?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    whats the chance of dupont being dried out enough for a ride tomorrow or think it's a better bet for sunday?
    Southside (Reasonover/Laurel/Corn Mill Shoals) will likely be sloppy. North side would be better. Sunday even more so - with all that rain there will still be a lot of draining tomorrow on most of the trails (if my past experience means anything).
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat View Post
    Southside (Reasonover/Laurel/Corn Mill Shoals) will likely be sloppy. North side would be better. Sunday even more so - with all that rain there will still be a lot of draining tomorrow on most of the trails (if my past experience means anything).
    I think Corn Mill Shoals acess is the best bet. The soils on that side of the forest are sandier and drain better, and of course rock will be fine.

Trails to avoid for a while:

Reasonover Creek, Mine Mountain, Airstrip, Laurel Ridge. These tend to have much more clay in the soil and thus the issue when wet and in freeze/thaw cycles. I agree that giving one extra day by going Sunday will help a bit.

Rogue Exterminator
    I was figuring if I head out tomorrow to just stick to Cornmill Shoals parking area and ride Cedar Rock and Big Rock a few times.

That is the nice thing, about those trails is you can't tear up the granite. lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    "I was figuring if I head out tomorrow to just stick to Cornmill Shoals parking area and ride Cedar Rock and Big Rock a few times."

Wilke has standing water in one place, but should be good to go. Micaja, Longside, Twixt should all be fine as well. I plan to hit some of that over the weekend as well.

Was out scouting today for a new trail (major relocation) and it could end up being one of the prettiest trails in DuPont when built. Nice day out exploring.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Was out scouting today for a new trail (major relocation) and it could end up being one of the prettiest trails in DuPont when built. Nice day out exploring.
    Fantastic

What will the skill level be?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Fantastic

What will the skill level be?
    I can't let the cat out of the bag too much as of yet as this is just in proposal stage. Current trail is really a road that has no water management on it at all. Current has a high fitness level needed but is not really technical in any way. Very low use.

The goal would be replace road with much longer single-track with less steep grades (for sustainability), having great winter long range views, and having an overall higher level of technical difficulty as compared with the current road. Still has to be multi use with horses in the mix, but we can consider optional trail features.

Rogue Exterminator
    Parked at Cornmill Shoals this morning to go for a ride.

Anyways I decided to stick to Cedar Rock as I feel it was probably best for the trails.
    Everything I hit although was a little messy seemed pretty sustainable.

Riding down Cornmill towards Cedar Rock, you can enjoy the new streams that are running across the trail. There are several of them. lol

Little River Trl between the two Cedar Rock entrances is a little river to say the least.
    The ground under the the water is packed but you will get your feet wet if you pedal through it as the water came up to the crank in some places.

The bottom sections of both Cedar Rock trails were wet but not bad and early this morning on the first ride the granite was icy but by the 2nd and 3rd go around they were fine.

Here is a pic of Little River Trl

DuPont trail conditions 2013-littlerivertrl.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Any guess as to what shape the north end of the park will be in by tomorrow or Monday? I have Monday off and am itching to hit some singletrack somewhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anybody ride out of CMS later in the day? All that water still standing? It looks pretty impressive from the pic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm View Post
    Anybody ride out of CMS later in the day? All that water still standing? It looks pretty impressive from the pic.
    Here are some photos from Little River Trail from about 3:30, still lots of water. If you have a low BB height, your feet are getting wet for sure. Up land from the trail (road) away from the river are some vernal pools and lots of frog eggs, all the rain and warmer temps brought out the woods frogs for mating season. They are gone and back in hibernation now. Woods frogs are pretty cool, invisable much of the year except when they come out to mate. The eggs can sit in a pool and freeze over, but it does not hurt the eggs.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    High and Dry up on this one, except this is not a trail (yet). Proposed re-route in the design phase, going to be really nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sat 1/19

The following trails are good to ride:

Wilke- One standing water spot but Chuck and I worked to open up the drain
    Micaja-good
    Longside- pretty much dry
    Cascade- dry, there were even some horses on it today and they did not really do any damage to tread (a real sign of how dry)
    Twixt-no issues
    And of course Big Rock and Cedar Rock

As noted, lots of standing water on Little River Trail, but sandy soils means solid bottom and not mud.

Rogue Exterminator
    Little River did ot look like it was draining at all.
    Real close to the river, so maybe a few run offs could be put in to solve the pooling problem.
    I dunno.

Woodman, do you know what the trails near Lake Imaging are like?
    The girl I will be riding with tomorrow does not like Cedar Rock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Woodman, do you know what the trails near Lake Imaging are like?
    The girl I will be riding with tomorrow does not like Cedar Rock.
    Trails on that side of the forest tend to be more clay based soils, and thus muddier at best, really bad more realistic. Reasonover was bad before the big rains as was L-Ridge etc. Big rains may have helped (washing off loose soils), but we are back in freeze/thaw. My wife hiked L-Ridge and Shoals trail yesterday and reports not too bad. She rode last weekend and those trails were a real mess. They just got worked on this year and to protect that work I would suggest avoiding that quadrent of DuPont for a while.

Clay is great soil and packs up hard, but in winter it can be bad. We can't change the soil composition on trails (wll we could, but it gets expensive in a hurry).

Rogue Exterminator
    So if I do Laurel Ridge and Shoals what are the other trails like that side of the park?

I would like to do Reasonver but I am guessing it is bad.
    What about Shelter Rock, Airstrip,Pitch Pine, Mine

Also for the record, Sheep Mtn, Pine Tree and Cascade

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So if I do Laurel Ridge and Shoals what are the other trails like that side of the park?

I would like to do Reasonver but I am guessing it is bad.
    What about Shelter Rock, Airstrip,Pitch Pine, Mine

Also for the record, Sheep Mtn, Pine Tree and Cascade
    Shelter Rock- good to go

Airstrip- Don't know, have heard no reports. It can be bad in winter, esp at the switchback up top.

Pine Tree- should be good

Cascade was very dry today

Sheep Mtn is a road, gravel on some. Should be fine.

Pitch Pine should be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How about Burnt Mtn? (Thank you to everyone for the info!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm View Post
    How about Burnt Mtn? (Thank you to everyone for the info!)
    My best guess is OK, but I have not been on it for a few weeks. Climb up was good (going counter) and decent was fine until below the rock armoring, that next section was very wet (but not really muddy). I want to extend the rock armoring this year as a major project. The sidehill there weeps a fair bit, my guess is due to slab rock under the soil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast