Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    spoke
    May 2007

Dupont New Trail - Opening?

Does anyone know when the trail from Briery Fork to Turkey Knob Road will open? Thanks

mtbr member

Re: Dupont New Trail - Opening?

Soon.... It is finished but my guess is they are waiting for a few days without multiple inches of rain.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

Rogue Exterminator
    What is it like?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

spoke
    May 2007
    looks machined and probably a 'hole lot better than joanna rd!

Big Mac

Of course it's machined.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by lobo98 View Post
    looks machined and probably a 'hole lot better than joanna rd!
    Is that a complaint?

spoke
    May 2007
    no - i love ridgeline and reasonover! i cant wait to ride it. joanna is just not super fun either way...it is a means to an end

Rogue Exterminator
    Ok, it seems when people throw the term "machine cut" around it is usually a complaint.

spoke
    May 2007
    i love it - reminds me of out west

Rogue Exterminator
    I like a mix of stuff for different reasons but Ridgeline is an awesome trail.
    Try Airstrip if you have not. It is about as fun as Ridgeline with a nice rock jump towards the end.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Where is it?

spoke
    May 2007
    looks like it will connect briery branch and turkey knob rd

mtbr member

Re: Dupont New Trail - Opening?

Its fine, as in not great or anything special. It is fun, but not challenging or technical in anyway, IMHO. As in way less fun than say Ridge line, Jim Branch, or Airport.

A typical example of what you are going to get with contracting by the lowest bid. You can't expect a contractor to put a lot of time and effort into something when there's no money in it. The name of the game is "How fast can we get this done (in our back yard), and go make a living somewhere else".

Big improvement over Pinnacle Mountain rd.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

Big Mac

Who was the contractor?

mtbr member

Saturday!!

Quote Originally Posted by lobo98 View Post
    Does anyone know when the trail from Briery Fork to Turkey Knob Road will open? Thanks
    The connector between Turkey Knob Road and Briery Fork Trail on DSRF officially opens Saturday, June 1, as part of the DuPont Trails Day celebration. DSRF staff will host a ribbon cutting for several new trail segments Saturday at 10:00 am at the High Falls parking lot. The new trails being celebrated include: 1. The foot-travel-only High Falls/Triple Falls connector from the Visitors Center (slated to open July 1) to High Falls and Triple Falls Roads. 2. Relocation work on Grassy Creek Trail done by volunteers (top 1/4 mile) and by Long Cane Trails (middle 1/4 mile). 3. Short relo on Grassy Meadow Trail by Long Cane Trails. 4. The aforementioned new connector by Long Cane Trails...

Turkey Knob Road (existing) and the connector (new) will be mapped as a single trail called Turkey Knob Trail. Parts of the existing road may see road-to-trail conversion in future Forest projects. Having ridden and walked the connector as part of my Friends of DuPont Forest Trails Committee duties (tough duty--we gotta inspect the work, you know!) I feel it's a great addition to the Forest and will shift some bike and equestrian use to the south side of the Forest.

A suggested first visit to the new connector is: Park at Fawn Lake lot, hit Reasonover Creek, Turkey Knob Trail (including new work), Left onto Briery Fork, Left onto Twin Oaks, Right onto Joanna, Left onto Grassy Creek, Left onto Sandy, Left onto Tarkiln, Right onto Thomas Cemetery, straight onto White Pine, Left onto Hooker Creek, Left onto Ridgeline, Left onto Imaging, Left onto Jim Branch, Right onto Isaac Heath, straight onto Locust, cross Imaging onto Hilltop, Right onto Imaging, Right onto Buck Forest, Left onto Conservation, Left onto Pitch Pine, cross Joanna to stay on Pitch Pine, Left onto Three Lakes, Left onto Conservation Road, Right onto Bridal Veil Falls Rd, Left onto Corn Mill Shoals Trail (just above falls viewing platform), Left onto Laurel Ridge Trail, Right onto Mine Mountain Trail, Right onto Fawn Lake Rd, and back to parking lot. If you're not smiling when you return to your vehicle, go home and put your bike on Craigs List!!

Have fun out there--stop and say hello to equestrians!!

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailZen View Post
    Have fun out there--stop and say hello now gtfo of my way to equestrians!!

TZ

I fixed it for you.

(BTW, for those who can't figure it out, I am just kidding)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailZen View Post
    A suggested first visit to the new connector is: Park at Fawn Lake lot, hit Reasonover Creek, Turkey Knob Trail (including new work), Left onto Briery Fork, Left onto Twin Oaks, Right onto Joanna, Left onto Grassy Creek, Left onto Sandy, Left onto Tarkiln, Right onto Thomas Cemetery, straight onto White Pine, Left onto Hooker Creek, Left onto Ridgeline, Left onto Imaging, Left onto Jim Branch, Right onto Isaac Heath, straight onto Locust, cross Imaging onto Hilltop, Right onto Imaging, Right onto Buck Forest, Left onto Conservation, Left onto Pitch Pine, cross Joanna to stay on Pitch Pine, Left onto Three Lakes, Left onto Conservation Road, Right onto Bridal Veil Falls Rd, Left onto Corn Mill Shoals Trail (just above falls viewing platform), Left onto Laurel Ridge Trail, Right onto Mine Mountain Trail, Right onto Fawn Lake Rd, and back to parking lot. If you're not smiling when you return to your vehicle, go home and put your bike on Craigs List!!

Have fun out there--stop and say hello to equestrians!!

TZ
    Anyone have an idea of what the mileage might be on this one? I was thinking about scheduling a group ride there, but would need to have an idea of what the total miles would be before scheduling it. My guess is around 20 maybe, but I will pull the map out and try to add it up, or maybe just go ride it this weekend to get an accurate route first.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    Anyone have an idea of what the mileage might be on this one? I was thinking about scheduling a group ride there, but would need to have an idea of what the total miles would be before scheduling it. My guess is around 20 maybe, but I will pull the map out and try to add it up, or maybe just go ride it this weekend to get an accurate route first.
    The 'stacked loop' system at DSRF allows the rider to construct a ride as short as a couple miles or ride all day and cover more than 50 miles... If my route recommendation is too long for your group, shorten it! Here's a shorter suggestion:

Park at Fawn Lake lot. At the kiosk, turn Right onto Reasonover Creek Trail, then Right onto Turkey Knob Trail, Left just before Pinnacle Mtn Rd to stay on Turkey Knob Trail (this is the new 1.4 mile connector), Left onto Briery Fork Trail, Left onto Twin Oaks Trail, Left onto Joanna, Right onto Oak Tree Trail, Right onto Chestnut Oak Road, Left onto Buck Forest Road, Left onto Conservation Rd, Left onto Pitch Pine Trail, cross Joanna to stay on Pitch Pine Trail, Left onto Three Lakes Trail, Left onto Conservation Rd, Right onto Bridal Veil Rd, Left onto Corn Mill Shoals Trail (or you can play at the falls first!), Left onto Laurel Ridge Trail, Right onto Mine Mtn Trail, Right onto Fawn Lake Rd, and back to the parking lot...

Here's a link to a map: http://www.dupontforest.com/images/m...pontForest.jpg

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Alright. Two things. First, that's not a trail. It's a road. Second, since it IS possible to build a bridge in Dupont, they should have put the bridge on Corn Mill Shoals. I hate to complain about new trails, but I would have been happy to volunteer to help build a more entertaining trail.

mtbr member
    A bridge across the corn mill shoals crossing would have to be a massive flood proof structure- something you drive a truck across. Think the bridge across the creek at Daniel Ridge. I'm not sure what the new bridge is like, but I'm doubting it cost the hundreds of thousands of dollars a bridge across the Little RIVER would minimally cost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So THAT'S the reason there's no bridge... I didn't realize the water levels got so high to require a flood-proof design. I learned something, today!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    A bridge across the corn mill shoals crossing would have to be a massive flood proof structure- something you drive a truck across. Think the bridge across the creek at Daniel Ridge. I'm not sure what the new bridge is like, but I'm doubting it cost the hundreds of thousands of dollars a bridge across the Little RIVER would minimally cost.
    Build a taller bridge.

I know you get in to a bunch of engineering bullsh!t and legal mumbo jumbo driving up the cost but I would still guess that either it could be done a lot cheaper or a trail could be built to a place it could be done more cheaply at and still reasonably connect the sides of the park without making you go through a hogs a$$hole to get a ham sandwich.

At the very least, put rail up or run a rope across. I don't mind getting my feet wet but that crossing is sketchy no matter how many times you do it.
    I know mountain biking is inherently dangerous but that river crossing is dangerous no matter what skill level you achieve.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Back home for a week and I got to ride the new trail today. With all the rain that we have it will grow into a nice trail in no time. This, with Sheep Mountain Trail on the north side, now gives a biker two ways to connect the east and west sides without having to cross Little River. Thanks to all who made this possible.

~Ride More, Complain Less~

Big Mac

Yawn. 💩😱pave it, bridge it. Who cares?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Yawn. pave it, bridge it. Who cares?
    I guess anyone who comments on it, so thanks for your comments.

Now get me that diver down recipe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast