mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Dupont in June / July???

Hi,
    This is somewhat of a followup to a previous post I made. I am planning a trip down to ride in that area and was planning to go this spring, but may have to push it to the summer.

How is the riding in June and July--I am mostly concerned about the heat and humidity. I don't want to make a trip down there and then find that it's just to damn hot to ride!

thanks

Matt

Big Mac

Dupont in June / July???

The summertime will be hotter and more humid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    But not so hot and humid that you can't ride. It's not any hotter or more humid than the Northeast or Midwest in July, and definitely cooler than South Carolina or Georgia.

Rogue Exterminator
    My crystal ball says perfect weather when you come.

Just plan your trip and play the cards you are dealt.
    The weather here is usually never that hot or humid but it is possible although unlikely to see triple digits.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member

Re: Dupont in June / July???

You can ride early and late to avoid the hottest part of the day. There's a big difference between early June and late July from a temperature standpoint. But unless its a major heatwave you just have to man up. Most of the trails here are under a full shade, which helps. Not to mention we get lots of after noon thunderstorms.

There are also lots of lakes in the area. VRBO is a good source. The lakes around here are a perfect way to cool down after a ride or way to enjoy the heat of the day.
    Cascade Lake CG is close to Dupont and Pisgah Forest. You could also camp at a higher elevation. You just about can't go wrong.

Good luck with it.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The heat's usually not too bad, there's plenty of swimming holes
    I'd be more worried about the people though. It gets pretty darn crowded during the summertime (especially around the hooker falls and high falls area)

Big Mac

Dupont in June / July???

Triple digits?

Rogue Exterminator
    Here you go OP
    You can see the average temps for Hendersonville which is usually about the same as Penrose (where Dupont is). Asheville and most of Pisgah is usually a couple degrees cooler.
    Last year was a little hotter than normal and since we are having another warm winter, I guess this year will be too.

Average Weather for Hendersonville, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

ready to ride
    You could always go to Moab in June or July.

You are over thinking this a bit, just come and ride. No such thing as bad weather, just unpreparedness and bad attitudes. It might rain, it might not, it might be hot, it might be perfect. Hell as far as I know frogs could fall from the sky and for WNC weather it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Trust me I know all about obsessing about a vacation. That can be half the fun. Just don't let it make the trip not fun. Just be prepared, be flexible and have a sense of humor about it all.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Wow, my perceptions of the weather are quite different. Last June was shockingly cool, and the rest of the summer was about average, with one one hotter'n hell 4-day weekend. Also, I don't think this winter is particularly warm, at least nothing like last winter's lovely mildness. I'm surprised the distance between G'ville and H'ville would be that dramatic.

But anyway, you gave good advice to the OP, and I agree that Pisgah would be a little bit cooler than Dupont. Maybe it's the elevation, maybe it's the refrigeration coming off all those rivers, i dunno, but I never feel the heat much in Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Just come ride brother. Be prepared and bring a good attitude and you'll be all set. There can be a ton of variance that time of year. I personally would try to get out early to beat the crowds and the heat, plus with Dupont and Pisgah there are some fantastic rivers to cool off in. Have a great trip!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    Wow, my perceptions of the weather are quite different. Last June was shockingly cool, and the rest of the summer was about average, with one one hotter'n hell 4-day weekend. Also, I don't think this winter is particularly warm, at least nothing like last winter's lovely mildness. I'm surprised the distance between G'ville and H'ville would be that dramatic.

But anyway, you gave good advice to the OP, and I agree that Pisgah would be a little bit cooler than Dupont. Maybe it's the elevation, maybe it's the refrigeration coming off all those rivers, i dunno, but I never feel the heat much in Pisgah.
    I think it the dampness of Pisgah does has a lot to do with it along with some of the elevation differences.

As far as this winter goes, you are right, last winter was more mild. However, I work outside and I think I have worn a jacket once and I don't even think that was for the full day. Last summer, I remember several days in the mid 90's not that I particularly find that terribly hot but it does seem to be warmer then the average.

But yeah, there is a huge difference once you come up the mountain.