mtbr member

Dupont Forest loops -near Fawn Lake entrance

Hello all- Any suggestions of good loops where I can scurry away from the family for a couple of hours in the mornings during a visit to the area in a few weeks? I have only ridden Dupont a couple of times and that has mainly been the Ridgeline trail. I will be staying near Fawn Lake entrance area weekend of Aug. 9-12th so pedaling to the trail head would be optimal. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Also, on a completely different note , Do any locals suggest good spots that would be easy to navigate for older folks to who are not so easy on their feet to view beautiful waterfalls / scenery in the area? Again, thanks for any advice.

-Ross

mtbr member
    Here's a couple good intermediate routes:
    this one uses the new turkey knob trail:
    estimated 13 miles: Park at Fawn Lake area. Take reasonover creek trail then right on Turkey knob. Left on the new trail (downhill and pretty sweet baby! Nice bridge too...) Left on Briery Creek, left on twin oaks, left on Joanna Rd. Here you could take a rt. on Oak Tree for a killer technical downhill, turn right on Chesnut oak rd., then left on pitch pine across to three lakes trail, finally left on Conservation Rd. back to the original parking lot. OR just stay on Joanna Rd to the bottom and take a left on Conservation rd. back to the parking area. When on conservation Rd. take a left on shortcut trail for a shortcut.

Another great route is:
    Left out of parking lot on Fawn Lake rd. Left on Mine Mountain, Left on Laurel Ridge, Left on Shoals, Right on Corn Mill Shoals (killer Downhill), left on Bridal Veil (to see falls), turn around, Bridal Veil to end, take right on Conservation Rd., Left on lake Julia rd, right on Reasonover Creek trail back to parking area. Some folks like this route in reverse, I've rode it both ways and they are great. I'd rather go down Corn Mill Shoals than climb it. This route is like 11 miles I'm guessing
    You can do a lot in a lifetime, If you don't burn out too fast...First you need endurance, First you've got to last...

mtbr member
    Wow. Great info. Thanks for the reply phbike

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Dupont Forest loops -near Fawn Lake entrance

I recently bought some smartphone maps from Pisgah map company. You can buy the general map of dupont and/or some specific routes. Once downloaded, you can follow yourself in real time. This is a big help in dupont, given the number of turns. There's a nice 10 mile loop from fawn lake parking area that I purchased (think it was $2). Highly recommend. You can link this with another loop over by cedar rock (requires river crossing).

If you go this route, I would take a paper map also. I got a little nervous toward the end of a 31 mile ride, when the phone battery was waning.

mtbr member
    Oh, I left out that after the initial right on turkey knob, the left on the new trail is also signed turkey knob. Post another reply if you want a shorter or longer route.
    You can do a lot in a lifetime, If you don't burn out too fast...First you need endurance, First you've got to last...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here is quick loop that we did last time I was up there to add some extra miles. Most of the miles are singletrack and flowly (not tech). Fawn Lake parking -left > fawn lake rd -left> mine mtn (dead end) -left > fawn lake rd (gravel rd) -left > airstrip (onto the actual airstrip) -left > airstrip trail -left > Barn (or is it Shelter Rock) -straight onto > corn mill shoals -left > laurel ridge -right > mine mtn back to the car.

Once on Barn/Shelter/Corn Mill Shoals you can detour down to bridal veil falls, which I recommend. Don't take the overlook trail, did that last time and you couldn't see anything, but would probably be much better after the leaves have fallen.

To add some more mileage you can keep trucking up corn mill shoals past the laurel ridge turn and cross the river. Then ride the burnt mountain loop. If you take your first left onto burnt (clockwise) then it would be a flowly up hill with a short tech downhill. If you pass the first left and take the second left onto burnt mountain you will probably be walking up the tech section and be rewarded with a fast flowly downhill. Both ways are fun. I usually ride it both directions if I have time. Then to get back take a right onto corn mill shoals and cross the river again and then take a right onto laurel ridge, then right onto mine mountain.
    Last edited by matty22c; 07-18-2013 at 05:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Again, thanks guys....this is a great help and I will most likely download the map app since there certainly are a lot of turns and time will be limited to 2-3 hours per outing. Any other input is greatly appreciated although you 2 have certainly provided enough to get me rolling from the entrance on some great loops!

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah the loop I mentioned is pretty short, not sure on mileage but it took us a little less than 2 hours. That was with a newbie (5 or so total mountain bike rides). So we stopped a good bit and hung at the bridal veil falls overlook area for a while. We also stopped and chatted with people several times.

To answer you other question, that I just noticed. Looking glass falls is a good place. It is right off of the road. The older folks may not want to take all the steps to the bottom but there is a nice viewing deck right off of the road. It on hwy 276 past brevard.

For good views just keep driving up 276 past the falls and hop on the parkway. I recommend heading south on the parkway. Tons of overlooks up there. You can also head north a little ways on the parkway to the Pisgah Inn. They have a pretty good restaurant (good beers too) and great views from the dining area and deck (with rocking chairs).

Sliding rock is on 276 as well. If you have kids they will love it. The older folks can watch, and laugh at the expressions of sliders as they hit the cold water for the first time.

Another waterfall for older people is Bridal Veil Falls (not the one in Dupont) in Highlands. It is on Hwy 64 about 2 miles past Highlands. You can't miss it. It is the falls that you can drive your car under. 64 from Brevard to Highlands can get pretty curvy. So if the people get car sick you may plan to have the drive or ride in the front.

Rogue Exterminator
    How many miles do you want to ride?
    How many days will you be able to ride?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Well, I just gotta pass from the wife and it looks like I may be sneaking up there for a recon ride before that weekend . Can you guys recommend any spots in Dupont where primitive tent camping is allowed. You know , any good level spots near water source where we can get a fire going etc. etc. ???? For this trip it is not necessary I be near Fawn Lake entrance.

Again, thanks guys!!!

Rogue Exterminator
    No camping allowed in DuPont.

Pisgah has plenty of primative tent camping.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Update: finally headed up this weekend!

Gonna be up there this weekend. Will be sneaking out on morning rides Sat and Sun. I downloaded the map app rsa mentioned above. Let me know if you guys wanna catch up! Thanks!