Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Dupont Epic 9/17/2006

Anyone that want's to join in on the fun can come along. I rode most of the route that I am going to lead yesterday. I can't divulge all of the details but let's just say we start at Reasonover end up at Holly Mtn loop and somehow eventually end up back at Reasonover. No we don't poach Conservation road either, that's what makes it fun. There will be some SS'ers and some Gearies. If we get enough interest, then we can split into groups accordingly.

Place: Fawn Lake parking area (Reasonover trailhead)
    When: 9/17
    Time: will post time later

Go make a difference
    Ah, I see you've already posted it. I'm interested and may just plan on making it a weekend in the area.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member

Dang that's a ride. . .

Ok for those interested here is the route I am doing. You need the dupont map to follow this through since we all know that there are 4 billion intersections at Dupont. I am using the numbers for simplicity. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions (not that I will take them into account ):

R = Right
    L= Left

Yes I can actually ride this loop without looking at the map.

Starting from Fawn Lake trail head:

Clockwise onto: 22
    L: 71
    R: 18
    L: 64
    R: 83
    L: 62
    L: 83
    L: Pinnacle Mtn Road
    L: 43
    L: 7
    L: 43 (map is wrong, it shows a right on map)
    R: 28
    R: 70
    R: 90 (first rest stop at falls)
    Turn around back up: 90
    R: 80
    Straight: 33
    R: 32
    R: 65
    L: 45
    R: 8
    R: Buck Forest Rd
    L: 72
    L: 59
    L: 53
    R: 85
    R: Cascade Lake rd.
    L: 68
    L: 54
    L: 89
    Straight: 19
    R: 11 (second trailhead)
    R: 19
    L: 51
    L: 16 (second trailhead)
    R: 3
    L: 19
    R: 75
    L: 48
    L: 55
    L: 1
    L: 1 (dirt trail)
    R: 73
    R: 18
    L: 46
    R: 64

Back at trailhead, and that is exactly why you need to know where you are going. Could you imagine looking at the map that many times. . .

Go make a difference
    J~
    Just to clarify, the 17th is a Sunday. Is that what you had planned or did you mean for the Saturday?

Just curious.
    Charles Myrick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    J~
    Just to clarify, the 17th is a Sunday. Is that what you had planned or did you mean for the Saturday?

Just curious.
    Sunday is the day. My boyz from a LBS in Columbia are coming up and it is their only day off . . . Well that and Monday. . . Who does long rides on Mondays

mtbr member
    I will not let this thread die into the depths until it's time is due.

Whatchyouthinkofthat?
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Get out of town!
    Could a lowly flatlander from Charlotte on a 4" travel XC bike tackle this ride or is it strictly for the hardcore?
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member

"Hardcore"

Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    Could a lowly flatlander from Charlotte on a 4" travel XC bike tackle this ride or is it strictly for the hardcore?
    I don't believe "hardcore" would be a word associated with anyone that is going to show up

We will have all types out for this ride. It will be a pretty long loop but there will be spots for people to "bail out" or cut off some miles if it starts to be too much for some people.

This will be a fun day in the woods though and there will be a many rest stops.

As far as your bike choice goes. Bring whatever. Myself and another will be riding SS hardtails. Some guys will have full suspension XC rigs.

All are welcome. Round up all the Charlottians you can and come out!

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Get out of town!
    This sounds too good to pass up. I am going to try to round a few more people up as well.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    This sounds too good to pass up. I am going to try to round a few more people up as well.

That's what I want to hear!

Keep a lookout and I will post a specific time sometime this week or next. I am guessing sometime around 9:00 since the Columbians will have a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

pronounced may-duh
    How many miles? How much climbing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    How many miles? How much climbing?

Ohhhhh sure you want specifics

I am not exactly sure. I have only pieced the ride together from other rides I have done. So my approximation is around 40 miles. Not sure about the climbing. However, after reading about the PAS ride you guys did this past weekend I don't think it will be a problem.

If the conservation road wasn't closed there would be a halfway bailout option. Since this is not true, there is a 3/4 bailout option. However my group rides under W's "no biker left behind policy."

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member

On a side note

Maybe I can prelude to some other questions.

I am going to stash a large water cooler in the woods around the halfway point so we don't have to worry about overfilled packs and such. I might have to throw in a six pack for good measure. Just in case somebody is cramping and needs carbs

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

pronounced may-duh
    OK 40 miles is a very big ride for me. Last weeks PAS group did 13 miles. I tacked on another 11 to make my total 24 for the day. The week before I squeezed out 27 miles. 40 would be like an all time high. Maybe Pisgah climbs are a bit bigger. I'm not real familiar with Dupont so I don't really know. I tempted to give it a try. I just don't want to get in way over my head and be the guy holding everybody back. I have my own DuPont map so I guess I can bail if things start to look bad for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    OK 40 miles is a very big ride for me. Last weeks PAS group did 13 miles. I tacked on another 11 to make my total 24 for the day. The week before I squeezed out 27 miles. 40 would be like an all time high. Maybe Pisgah climbs are a bit bigger. I'm not real familiar with Dupont so I don't really know. I tempted to give it a try. I just don't want to get in way over my head and be the guy holding everybody back. I have my own DuPont map so I guess I can bail if things start to look bad for me.
    Pisgah miles are definitely tougher than Dupont miles.

We will be back in the general vicinity of the cars after about 25 miles so that is why I put the bailout option at about 3/4 of the way through. Definitely don't count the ride out due to milage if you are fit and have been doing some decent rides. I will have a map with the route highlighted on it availabe before the ride so everyone can see "what they are getting into". It will be very easy for us to make an alternate shorter loop for those who feel as though they can't make the big loop. That way we can all still ride together most of the time and some can do less milage if need be.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Uhhh.. sounds fun, 40 miles is a pretty big number!

How far is Davidson River campground to the trail head? I'm thinking about camping there friday-saturday and then catching this ride in Dupont. Coming in from Atl.
    "Hot nasty American Speed"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Legs

How far is Davidson River campground to the trail head? I'm thinking about camping there friday-saturday and then catching this ride in Dupont. Coming in from Atl.
    DRC is about 30 minutes from the "Fawn Lake" parking area.

Some of my friends will be staying at Black Forest campground just up the road.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Man this sounds fun, I'd like to get in if possible. What time do you think the ride will end?

mtbr member
    Man this sounds fun, I'd like to get in if possible. What time do you think the ride will end?
    Well we won't need to bring lights

I am thinking this will be in the six hour time frame. Just depends on how much BS'n we end up doing.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    I would join ya , but same weekend as the 24 Hours of Pisgah, you should come out and party with us! always a good time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    I would join ya , but same weekend as the 24 Hours of Pisgah, you should come out and party with us! always a good time
    I figured this would be true for many. If I end up camping, I plan on coming over and watching some night laps. I love spectating almost as much as racing!

Good luck or should I say have fun!

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Great, I plan on being there!

Go make a difference

I'm heading up from the ATL as well if you're interested in carpooling. I'm looking to head up Friday and camp at DR -- it's about a 15 minute drive from DR to Dupont, though I need to check where J's got the start point so I know where to meet. For Saturday, I want to ride something in Pisgah -- I just haven't looked at the map yet. I may try another attempt to locate Farlow Gap.....I still it's a figment of everyone's imagination!

Have you already booked a site at DR?

Feel free to PM or drop me an email at cmyrickjr@mindspring.com. Put something about "Dupont MTB" in the subject line so I don't delete it from the spam inbox!
    Charles Myrick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    I'm heading up from the ATL as well if you're interested in carpooling. I'm looking to head up Friday and camp at DR -- it's about a 15 minute drive from DR to Dupont, though I need to check where J's got the start point so I know where to meet. For Saturday, I want to ride something in Pisgah -- I just haven't looked at the map yet. I may try another attempt to locate Farlow Gap.....I still it's a figment of everyone's imagination!

Have you already booked a site at DR?

Feel free to PM or drop me an email at cmyrickjr@mindspring.com. Put something about "Dupont MTB" in the subject line so I don't delete it from the spam inbox!

I am down for a pisgah ride on Saturday too!!! We can check out the race after the ride with some beers. I got the goods on Farlow gap if you want to go for it. It is not for the faint of heart though.

For Dupont we are parking at the "Fawn Lake" parking area. The southeastern most parking area on the map. www.dupontforest.com

I will post more closer to the time.

Peace out.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Get out of town!

If anyone wants to carpool from Charlotte.....

I was still on the fence about doing the MS 150 this year. This made my decision a little easier. I don't have the extra money for hotels and can't really miss work the following Monday so the MS ride will have to wait until next year. So far there are two or three of us heading up from Charlotte but more riders may be interested once they figure out how Kick A ^$ this ride is going to be.

I was worried about the milage too. I have done about 28 miles in Dupont before, but 40 miles over 6 hours seemed like a tough haul when you factor in climbing (not sure how tough they will be) and breaks. We are down for it though...if I get in over my head I will fake an injury and ask that a couple of you carry me out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast