mtbr member

Dupont - Cedar Rock and Big Rock

Rode Dupont for the second time today and it was absolutely glorious out there. On my first ride, a few weeks ago, I didn't ride Cedar and Big Rock trails and was told those were pretty good. So we rode them today. A person at The Worlds Greatest Bike Shop (A.K.A. The Hub) told us the best direction was to take Little River Trail to Cedar Rock and then descend Big Rock back to Corn Mill.

So we did that...and it was great. But I think I'd rather climb Big Rock and descend Cedar. The climb up Cedar was BRUTAL but looked like it would be amazing to descend. Big Rock has far more dirt than Cedar and I think it would be more fun to climb it (other than that big drop that bottomed my fork out so hard that my brake cable hit my tire!).

Which direction do most do that loop?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Climb the second leg of Cedar Rock, near the powerlines. Descend the first leg. Reclimb second leg, descend Big Rock. Repeat until grin doesn't leave face. Intersperse with laps of Burnt Mtn (I prefer clockwise) as needed.

mtbr member
    Thanks. That climb up Cedar was one of the harder climbs I've done in years. Even the smooth granite part was STEEEEP!
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah I usually park at corn mill, go up BR, down the right side of cedar, then head up the powerline (left) side and back down BR. I'll usually combine it with a run on Burnt as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Thanks. That climb up Cedar was one of the harder climbs I've done in years. Even the smooth granite part was STEEEEP!
    Did you take the first or second left up Cedar? The second is a much easier climb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm View Post
    Did you take the first or second left up Cedar? The second is a much easier climb.
    First left. It was fine for a good while. There were some challenging steps to climb that I ended up trying several times before cleaning it. However, I had no idea how much climbing remained after those steps. Once the smooth rock started, I thought we were near the top but we weren't close and I went too hard and too fast. Had to stop at least two times on that last few hundred yards. I normally don't stop on climbs but this one was long and steep.

We'll climb the second left next time!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I start out Corn Mill then do a loop on Burnt Mtn then take Little river past the first Cedar Mnt. left, to the 2nd left for Cedar. After a short stout climb you reach a switch back in the power line cut, then your on one of the coolest climbs around. Once on the summit, I prefer to ride down Big Rock vs Cedar.

pwd
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Wrong thread.