mtbr member
    Mar 2006

DSF Jim Branch Trail- Closed March 13-14

Jim Branch trail in DuPont will be closed to all users on March 13-14 (this Sunday and Monday). The reason for this closure is we will be doing needed additional rock armoring work on the steep section at the bottom of the trail. This is part of a pre conference workshop in association with the Sustainable Trails Conference in Asheville:

http://www.trailbuilders.org/conference/ptba_conf.html

http://www.trailbuilders.org/conference/Armoring.html

We should be able to complete all needed work in 2 days and get the trail opened back up on Tuesday March 15th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We have some prep work to do for a large armoring project (and some road to trail conversion) so we are closing the trail today (1 day earlier than org posting here).

We should complete all work by Tuesday and the trail will open back up then.

Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We put up a trail closed sign and do not enter sign and caution flagging tape at the top of the trail, and yet still had mountain bikers come through form the top yesterday.

Please do not come down Jim Branch over the next 2 days as there will be a lot of machines and trail workers in the area.

If you do roll down the trail over during the course of the workshop, we will put you to work hauling rock.

We hope to have the trail work completed by the end of the day on Monday and get the trail opened back up (and post some photos of the work).

Woody

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman
    We put up a trail closed sign and do not enter sign and caution flagging tape at the top of the trail, and yet still had mountain bikers come through form the top yesterday.

Please do not come down Jim Branch over the next 2 days as there will be a lot of machines and trail workers in the area.

If you do roll down the trail over during the course of the workshop, we will put you to work hauling rock.

We hope to have the trail work completed by the end of the day on Monday and get the trail opened back up (and post some photos of the work).

Woody
    Sadly, some mountain bikers do not think that Closed signs apply to them, especially not on a sunny Saturday. You should turn them around today and make them climb it back up
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    Sadly, some mountain bikers do not think that Closed signs apply to them, especially not on a sunny Saturday. You should turn them around today and make them climb it back up
    Is this how you "Pirates" operate?

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    It's the MTB equivalent of walking the plank. I think 30 lashes with an inner tube would be better.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    No. I just complain on the internet and then keep my mouth shut and move quietly towards the door when faced with confrontation in person
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Sadly, the only trail users who have ignored the signs over the past 2 days have all been mtn bikers. No hikers or equestrians have ducked under the caution tape and around a wood barrier that says "do not enter".

We moved a bunch of rock today and the armored section is going to bee awesome. The straight as an arrow road section above that will be changed and more twists and turns, maybe a berm turn of so.

We are on schedule to finish the whole project by end of day on Monday.

Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Open and ready to ride

As promised, Jim Branch is open again today and better than ever. More details and some photos later, but 2 different crews were working on on 2 different projects.

Crew/Workshop 1- 200 linear feet of really nice armor work on the steep bottom section. This is some of the nicest rock armoring in the state.

Crew/Workshop 2- 1050 linear feet of road to trail conversion. This is the section that used to be a straight old roadbed, but now feels like purpose built singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds good! I am looking forward to heading over to Dupont and checking it out!
    Thanks to all who made this happen!

ohhman
    Thanks Woody, Todd, and everyone for all the great work. Excited about checking out all the new additions to Dupont soon.

mtbr member
    I always amazed at the effort people go to to ride around perfectly good rock armoring.

All the work going on at DuPont lately is extremely impressive.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    I always amazed at the effort people go to to ride around perfectly good rock armoring..
    I'll admit that in the past when I have climbed Jim Branch I often found myself riding around the rocks. It was just too easy not to. You look up at the line and see that you can either go straight up a narrow rock path that likely would lead to a dismount (for me on my silly single speed, lol) or that you can stay just to the right of the rocks and stay on the bike. Descending it, for me, I'd go straight down the rocks but I can easily see why another rider might choose not to ride over the rocks. From what I have seen, unless rock armoring is firmly boxed in by immovable objects riders will ride around it. And once a couple do everyone else joins in.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

pronounced may-duh
    I'll admit that in the past when I have climbed Jim Branch I often found myself riding around the rocks. It was just too easy not to. You look up at the line and see that you can either go straight up a narrow rock path that likely would lead to a dismount (for me on my silly single speed, lol) or that you can stay just to the right of the rocks and stay on the bike. Descending it, for me, I'd go straight down the rocks but I can easily see why another rider might choose not to ride over the rocks. From what I have seen, unless rock armoring is firmly boxed in by immovable objects riders will ride around it. And once a couple do everyone else joins in.

It's human nature. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's the same set of instincts that keep us alive.

But Woody and all the great trail builders have studied how people use trails and they plan for this. I would expect some sort of chokes on the sides to keep us from our instinctive penchant for taking the easy way out.

I hope to ride the new and improved version this weekend!