mtbr member
    Oct 2009

DSF IMBA Route info

Planning to do the DSF “No Poach” IMBA Epic Ride this summer as posted on the SORBA site. Any suggestions or recommendations for doing this route? If anyone has done this and has the .gpx or .klm files that would be very helpful.

mtbr member

They're Listed!

The 'DSF "No Poach" IMBA Epic Ride Revisited', as posted here:

http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1092

has several suggestions listed. Print out the instructions as written, and use your bike computer to confirm turns, etc. Most important is to get an up-to-date map of DSF so that a rider (if s/he can read that map!) can short-cut back to the parking lot in the event of a mechanical or physical problem. Carry enough water, food, and gear (both first aid and repair) to get YOURSELF out of the woods... Because I wrote the IMBA Epic before I had a GPS, and because my edits a couple years ago were primarily intended to correct mileage discrepancies generated by trail closures and relocations, I still don't have a GPS track of the entire route.

Enjoy your ride!

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yup that is where I got the route from and have most recent DSF map with the route highlighted and usually ride with the kitchen sink in our packs. We have riden the West side trails (Cedar Rock, Burnt, etc) not over on the East side yet. Do you have an estimate for route time? Subjective I know, but at a moderate pace, taking in the sights... for an experienced group I'm planning on ~6 hours. There aprear to be a number of good bail out points.

Thanks for the info and all of the route suggestions. I have used a number of them!

mtbr member

Good Plan...

Planning 6-7 hours for the 'Epic, Revisited' is good. As groups get bigger, their inability to coordinate pee breaks, snack breaks, view breaks, mechanicals, etc, stretch out the ride time. The 'kitchen sink' approach has let me continue several rides with an intact group (rather than splitting the group into 'back to the cars' and a 'keep riding' subgroups!) many times.

Next time you get back to the west side, you need to check out the reroute of Micajah and the new Cascade extension. MIcajah's eroded creek crossing has been retired and the reroute is nice, flowing trail. And the new Cascade Extension (not sure what the maps will call this when it shows up on the next edition maps) can be picked up at the intersection of Staton and Cascade Lake Roads (at the Pine Tree trailhead) and ridden to Sheep Mountain Trail.

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!