Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983

    Dec 26th - Jan 1st - How's Pisgah Gonna Be?

    Hey guys I'm still interested in coming back to Pisgah to explore more of the trails. How's the weather supposed to be? Is it that cold? Does it usually snow this time of year. I'm in Jersey and it's getting pretty cold now. I've got the cold weather gear so I don't mind it being too cold but snowy can make things interesting. I just want to get away for a week and enjoy the trails, enjoy the scenery and hopefully find some people to go with me or meet up with to ride. I've been researching different places to go but this seems to be the most vast area of trails with a little warmer weather than Jersey. Whatdya think?

    Ryan H.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    Also, what else is there to do in the Pisgah/Brevard area?

    Ryan H.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,911
    While is it possible that rain, snow, or ice may close trails for a few days, it is much more likely that the riding will be fantastic, but cold. As you gain elevation and, contrawise, in shaded valleys, it can become much colder than other points on ride, so I generally pack enough gear to be able to deal with up to 20-degree drops in temperature- seems like overkill, but better safe than sorry.
    What do you mean by other stuff to do?
    Pisgah Forest/Brevard is not known for it's night life. Asheville, on the other hand, is. check out www.mountainx.com for samples of what I mean. Our best live music venue for everthing other than bluegrass is www.theorangepeel.net Check out their schedule. If you mean other stuff like family/kid friendly, I'm not the best source...but I think there's a lot of it in both Brevard area and I know there is in Asheville.
    Mike

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    While is it possible that rain, snow, or ice may close trails for a few days, it is much more likely that the riding will be fantastic, but cold. As you gain elevation and, contrawise, in shaded valleys, it can become much colder than other points on ride, so I generally pack enough gear to be able to deal with up to 20-degree drops in temperature- seems like overkill, but better safe than sorry.
    What do you mean by other stuff to do?
    Pisgah Forest/Brevard is not known for it's night life. Asheville, on the other hand, is. check out www.mountainx.com for samples of what I mean. Our best live music venue for everthing other than bluegrass is www.theorangepeel.net Check out their schedule. If you mean other stuff like family/kid friendly, I'm not the best source...but I think there's a lot of it in both Brevard area and I know there is in Asheville.
    Mike
    How cold is cold? I'm usually pretty comfortable riding till the low 30's. I'm looking for other stuff as in, bars, movies, restaurants, etc... I know there's a few local things in Brevard but I'm curious as to what else is out there. I'll either be coming solo or with my girl. I'm in no way looking for family or kid friendly attractions... This trip is all about me :-)

    Ryan H.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,271
    That's funny, I live in this (NC/SC) area and I am headed to Basking Ridge next week.

    I will be doing a ride on the 28th of December if you are interested.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mb3designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701
    How cold is cold? I'm usually pretty comfortable riding till the low 30's. I'm looking for other stuff as in, bars, movies, restaurants, etc... I know there's a few local things in Brevard but I'm curious as to what else is out there. I'll either be coming solo or with my girl. I'm in no way looking for family or kid friendly attractions... This trip is all about me :-)

    Ryan H.
    Not really sure about the scene in Brevard, Hendersonville has a few bars, but Asheville is the place to go if you are looking for nightlife and entertainment. My homeboy AC and his wife will be in from Ten-a-ki at that time and he and I are going to go and practice our coldweather survival skills and probably go snowboarding a few times, don't know if we will have time to go riding. We also promised our women that we would take them to the Biltmore House, so if we are able to squeeze in time for a ride I will let you know and could possibly show you some local trails one of those days. As for weather, it could be 60 degrees out, or it could be 10 below. The weather here in WNC is wacky, especially during the winter months. Bring adequate clothing to accomadate.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

  7. #7
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,310
    The weather is similar to jersey BUT much more eratic and with a much bigger swing between the high and low. The days almost always warm up so that the riding is good. The nights, in comaparison are very cold. A 20 degree temp swing is normal. A 30 degree swing is not unusual. Like a high of 45 and a low of 25. Rain and snow are ride killers in the winter (at least for me). And avoid the deep stream crossings. The rocks get icy and if you fall in you could be in big trouble. Out in the wood, in the cold and soaking wet is not good for your health.

    Many areas outside of the cities are dry (no acohol) or have very strict rules against bars. The city of Asheville is your best bet for nightlife and all things cool and funky. Asheville is like 30 minutes from Pisgah Forest.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Not really sure about the scene in Brevard, Hendersonville has a few bars, but Asheville is the place to go if you are looking for nightlife and entertainment. My homeboy AC and his wife will be in from Ten-a-ki at that time and he and I are going to go and practice our coldweather survival skills and probably go snowboarding a few times, don't know if we will have time to go riding. We also promised our women that we would take them to the Biltmore House, so if we are able to squeeze in time for a ride I will let you know and could possibly show you some local trails one of those days. As for weather, it could be 60 degrees out, or it could be 10 below. The weather here in WNC is wacky, especially during the winter months. Bring adequate clothing to accomadate.
    I'm just curious cause I don't really know what's going on for the trip yet. I may go solo or or I may bring my girl. If I go solo - I'd be happy with riding every day for 8 hours a day - well as long as I can anyway. I need minimal entertainment besides the woods to keep me happy. If I bring my girl I'm going to have to lead the civilized life. I just want to get out and see some of the other scenery besides what jersey has to offer. Plans should be getting more solidified this week.

    Ryan H.

  9. #9
    Big ring = No chainsuck
    Reputation: nc-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    446
    Yeah, there aren't really any bars in Brevard. Asheville is def your best bet. There is a theater in Brevard, but it's so small that it only shows one movie about 3 times a day. There are a few restraunts, but nothing to write home about. Pretty much all that we have here is killer riding, and thats what people come here for. In brevard, you are about 2 minutes from the trails. In asheville, its about 30. But in any case, it doesn't really get that cold. You probably will end up with about 50 degree temperatures, with a low of 25. That would be typical, but the weather here is crazy. Prepare for whatever. Have fun riding...
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by nc-rider
    Yeah, there aren't really any bars in Brevard. Asheville is def your best bet. There is a theater in Brevard, but it's so small that it only shows one movie about 3 times a day. There are a few restraunts, but nothing to write home about. Pretty much all that we have here is killer riding, and thats what people come here for. In brevard, you are about 2 minutes from the trails. In asheville, its about 30. But in any case, it doesn't really get that cold. You probably will end up with about 50 degree temperatures, with a low of 25. That would be typical, but the weather here is crazy. Prepare for whatever. Have fun riding...
    Sounds good. I just wanna ride really. I wanna ride those seasonal trails that I couldn't ride earlier in the year. This break is coming up soon. I can't wait.

    Ryan H.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •