Fence guru
    Nov 2008

Dark mountain in Wilkes is in perfect shape

A+ shape a little tacky ... The only mud is on the field part of fish dam creek by the parking lot which is avoidable
    Have at it boys I am off to Santos for a weekend Of riding and debauchery where it is warm

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Oh Boy! I have been getting dirty looks when I pass high dollar carbon fiber on my ragged out cx bike with fat cx nobbies. Must be the noise.

i ride a bicycle
    Did you guys get much rain this week ? How are trails for Saturday ? tia

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We received 1/2" of rain Wednesday. I'm only guessing about the trial conditions since I haven't been out to the trails since the workday on Saturday, but I'm guessing it's going to be pretty slick. If you get out there before it thaws you're good to go, but the high Saturday is close to 60 degrees and with that kind of temperature swing I would expect a layer of slick mud at the trail surface by lunch. I've been wrong before, though.

i ride a bicycle
    OK thx for input we ll passon coming down,dont wanna rut it up / too nice of trails !

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Just rode dark mountain the trail was flawless

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    any updates?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i live/work in boone - three different customers gave me updates today:

1. saturday 11am - dark mtn was awesome. only two slightly muddy spots.
    2. saturday 3pm - warrior creek was the worst (muddiest) i've ever seen.
    3. saturday 6pm - at warrior creek "i had to remove a 5gallon bucket worth of mud from my fork/stays/tires."

p.s. the more i think about it, i got a fourth update mid-afternoon: "i rode OVT to the first bridge and turned around it was so muddy." i guess the trail-work at WC or dark mtn is the place to be tomorrow...

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    That would be because all three trails drain at a completely different rate. Dark mountain is always the fastest to dry and wc the slowest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

oooh cool

ahhh - expert insight. i had not heard that info before. are you a local?? we'll cross our fingers that DM is good today. reports to follow.

xxoo

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey Guys.

I am from the Greenville, SC area and my wife and I occasionally visit the Boone/Blowing Rock Area. We were there for a long weekend back in the fall and we brought our road bikes along. A couple of bike shops in the area (one just across from AS) were most helpful in marking a map with routes that are popular among local cyclists (Railroad Grade at Todd for my wife who is not into climbing (she loved it!) and a couple of out-and-backs for me that returned on the Parkway (I loved everything but the crazies doing 80 MPH in motor homes).

I now want to go back, but this time bring my mountain bike. I mentioned that to the bike shop guy during our last visit but he did not offer a lot of info on MTBing. Any suggestions on trails for me to ride in that area and possibly source of a map of them would be appreciated. I'll likely be riding alone, probably on weekdays so something ranging from fairly easy to somewhat technical where I would not likely become lost and gone forever would be nice (assuming such is available in the area).

Many thanks

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by josephgrimes
    ahhh - expert insight. i had not heard that info before. are you a local?? we'll cross our fingers that DM is good today. reports to follow.

xxoo
    I live in Charlotte but work in wilkesboro 1 minute from
    The dark mountain trail head which you can usually ride the day after light rain.

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper
    I now want to go back, but this time bring my mountain bike. I mentioned that to the bike shop guy during our last visit but he did not offer a lot of info on MTBing. Any suggestions on trails for me to ride in that area and possibly source of a map of them would be appreciated. I'll likely be riding alone, probably on weekdays so something ranging from fairly easy to somewhat technical where I would not likely become lost and gone forever would be nice (assuming such is available in the area).

Many thanks
    Your best bets are Dark Mtn/OVT/Warrior Creek in Wilkesboro, and the new trails at Beech Mountain. http://www.bikebeechmountain.com/ - the fb group has more current info. Depending on when you come up, there new Rocky Knob park in Boone will be open, but it will only be a 1.3 mile loop until the next phase opens.

There is lots of other trail, but it's hush hush, and not at all safe to ride alone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    if you're coming up from sc to ride in the boone/blowing rock area, the dark mountain/warrior creek/OVT trails may be a little underwhelming.

if you have trail sense and can follow a topo map, there's lots of pure pisgah backcountry biking close to blowing rock that blows any bike park away.

unless of course, you like bike parks. i like bike parks. but not when i can ride pisgah.

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    If you do not have trail sense, can follow a topo, do not want to get busted by the forest service, or eaten by a bear, Beech is uber rad. That said, if you can hook up with folks who know their way around the Forest, and you have the legs for some serious climbing, the trails jamatt refers to probably the best riding on the East Coast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what kind of bike(s) do you ride??

you should try your best to get 'sugarbrad' (a banner elk guy that uses this forum) to show you around in the forest. that being said, i would stick to wilkes or better yet beech mtn (once the snow melts) if you are solo. the wilson creek area maps only show 47.5% of the trails that are there. brown mountain ORV park is another cool somewhat-solo-friendly spot. at least the trails are marked and numbered. just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    you're not kidding about the climbing. or the bears. i haven't had the pleasure of running into a ranger yet though. the feds on the brp are no fun but i don't get the impression that grandfather ranger district gives a ....

anyolhow stumpbumper, any time--which is not much time--i have to ride anymore is usually on weekdays (i'm headed out for an oriental express this afternoon SWEET!).

my email is my mtbr.com user name at gmail. if you're coming up, shoot me a note and if i'm free i'll show you some bear and ranger infested climbing sufferfests, AYOR of course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by josephgrimes
    what kind of bike(s) do you ride??

you should try your best to get 'sugarbrad' (a banner elk guy that uses this forum) to show you around in the forest. that being said, i would stick to wilkes or better yet beech mtn (once the snow melts) if you are solo. the wilson creek area maps only show 47.5% of the trails that are there. brown mountain ORV park is another cool somewhat-solo-friendly spot. at least the trails are marked and numbered. just my 2 cents.
    What's the terrain at Beech like? The DH part is only open during races, right? So we're talking about XC trail here?
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt
    you're not kidding about the climbing. or the bears. i haven't had the pleasure of running into a ranger yet though. the feds on the brp are no fun but i don't get the impression that grandfather ranger district gives a ....

anyolhow stumpbumper, any time--which is not much time--i have to ride anymore is usually on weekdays (i'm headed out for an oriental express this afternoon SWEET!).

my email is my mtbr.com user name at gmail. if you're coming up, shoot me a note and if i'm free i'll show you some bear and ranger infested climbing sufferfests, AYOR of course.
    I want to thank everyone who responded to my request for info and a special thanks to jmatt for offering to show me around. I certainly hope to get back to the area and when I do I will be in touch. If any of you ever need info on any trails here in SC just let me know.

You mentioned bears. I used to plagued by them but not anymore since buying my new bike. I also ride it some on the road and motorists who used to throw beer cans at me now shower me with $20 bills as they slowly creep by in the far lane.

Seriously, thanks much guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehollx
    What's the terrain at Beech like? The DH part is only open during races, right? So we're talking about XC trail here?
    stevehollx -

beech is great - really. i had doubts until last spring when i finally 'risked' my day off to go ride there. the xc trails are a combination of 20yr old norba trails resurrected, brand new stuff, grassy access roads, and a little bit of rad tech gnar rocks. its rideable on a 26" hardtail, and/or 6" full susp. i think a 29er hardtail or 4" xc bike would be optimal if you have a quiver of bikes. believe it or not, while all at 5000ft elev or higher, there is only 1200ft of climbing in a 7mile lap. its not the old school ski slope race - straight up, straight down: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38092054

there is a southernclassicmtb.org race on june (18th/19th i think). it should be great. temps in the 60's or 70's. let me know if you have any other questions but check out: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7082146&ref=ts

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Any updates on Warrior Creek conditions?

How's it looking for this weekend?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    my parking lot is bone dry 1 mile from the trailhead I would imagine it is great. That being said I have only ridden dark moutain on mon, pee wees on tuesday and poplar tent in charlotte on sunday this week all were near perfect so I haven't actually been on the trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Warrior Creek is in great shape and should be all weekend long.

enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    From the BMCC Forum:

PS

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:05 pm Post subject: Current Trail Conditions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/kerrscotttrails

If you want to read the latest reported conditions, the above link has been developed.

If you ride and want to report the conditions, post in this forum thread and the tweet feed can be updated by someone with special powers.

(For now) the trails at the lake don't ever close, but please be respectful of the trail when wet, mud, or "freeze-thaw" is reported.
    The trails should be in great shape this weekend. The is also a trail day Saturday morning at the back entrance to Warrior Creek at 9 am.

[QUOTE][Jim Horton

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:15 pm Post subject: Warrior Creek Trail Day Saturday, Feb 19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will be finishing up the reroute of the logging road at Warrior Creek this Saturday. We'll meet at the back gate at 9:00 again.

Bring a Bike. We'll finish working around 12:00 or 12:30. The trails should be in great shape. The best in months.

How to get there:
    Traveling west on hwy 268 pass the main entrance to Warrior Creek. Take the next right to Boomer Ferguson Elementary. Turn left before entering schools grounds. Make an immediate right. We’ll meet at the gravel pull off by the gate at the end of the road.

We'd love to see some new faces!

We'll be sending out a new e-blast to everyone on our mailing list this week to announce the next month's worth of trail days. If you're not on the list please email me at wjhorton3@aol.com

Come up and ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    There is a big tree down about a half mile into section 5. Beside the unpassable tree all else is in good shape.