Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dad + 4 year old + 2 dogs + Warrior Creek = Fun

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  dancrna 
#1 ·
Had a guy's weekend. Took my 4 year old out with the two dogs for some camping and riding this past weekend. Headed up to Wilkesboro to give Warrior Creek a try. That is one of the most grin inducing trails I have been on to date. We rode it clockwise starting at the school using the OVT as a connector. From the start my son could not stop giggling. He was constantly telling me "faster daddy, faster" as we tore through banked turn after banked turn. I am not sure who had more fun, me, my son or the two dogs, but we all slept well that night, especially after a campfire and some Smores. Excuse the not so great cell phone pics but you get the idea. Props to BMCC for the trail layout and condition.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Warrior Creek needs to be on the radar for family mountain biking/camping. We headed there from Asheville to experience new trails for my 10 and 12 y/o daughters and we were not disappointed. I was initially concerned about difficulty and only did portions of WC because we wanted to get to Dark Mountain. I am pretty sure that my kids and most kids with decent ability could handle WC. The kids wished they stayed at WC!

I think WC is some of the best camping/mountain bike destinations in NC. I have biked many areas around AVL and do need to go to more, but WC is a unique biking experience.

Just a question about WC - does any one know what direction to go on WC? We were told most go counter clockwise but literally ran into others going the other way r/t the narrow trails. It might be a concern....

#7 ·
WC is bi-directional, though it has been suggested that WC be ridden clockwise on even days and counter-clockwise on odd days. 90% of the people out there ride it counter-clockwise and are, in my opinion, missing out. WC is a little bit tougher clockwise and doesn't have quite the same amount of flow as the race direction, but the rock gardens are awesome to ride up and the trail has an entirely different character ridden clockwise. Ride it at least twice in each direction before choosing your preference.

#8 ·
thanks.... once again great trails, can't wait to get back there. IMHO I vote for the even/odd day arrangement for riding; the trails are narrow and coming up on riders made it difficult to pass. I also see some potential problem with smaller kids meeting head-on with a rider. I really think WC is going to be very popular once the word gets out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.