mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Cross Country Trails?

Anyone know any good cross country trails in NC or SC. Not "cross country" in terms of going all the way across the country but in terms of being smooth and flowing -yet off road through the countryside so not paved roads. Hills are OK but looking for good speed (so not overly twisting), minimal bumps, great cardio, great views and without the circus tricks aspect of mountain biking. The longer the better!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    where in NC or SC are looking to ride? In general, any trail worth riding is a destination place, that has been intentionally laid out and is maintained. For NC, the Charlotte area and WNC have the best destination trails, and a wide variety. The mountains probably won't fit the bill you're looking for though.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by neweyess
    Anyone know any good cross country trails in NC or SC. Not "cross country" in terms of going all the way across the country but in terms of being smooth and flowing -yet off road through the countryside so not paved roads. Hills are OK but looking for good speed (so not overly twisting), minimal bumps, great cardio, great views and without the circus tricks aspect of mountain biking. The longer the better!

Farlow Gap Pisgah

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm aware of many of the typical trails that clubs construct and maintain. I've checked out several in the Carolinas. They do a great job but I'm looking for something a bit different from that. Somehow I don't seem to have gotten it across what I'm looking for. Not sure how else to describe it? It's more like fire trails or rail trails (checked out the databases for those to) but with the particular characteristics I mentioned earlier. Perhaps I'm the only one looking for this type of ride except for road bikers but they go on paved roads and I want an off road experience without the intentional trick stuff.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Charlotte greenways but the views mostly suck

Official Cooler Inspector
    Favorite Trail:
    Wilson Creel Lenoir, NC
    Bike Setup:
    Not sure yet

Low post count equals low responses?

Here's two direct suggestions:

http://www.main.nc.us/graham/hiking/tsali.html
    http://www.vacreepertrail.us/
    Crack myself up: "I wait till the opossum hits the deck water dish to call it a night."

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Anything by your fav trails try beehive

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Farlow Gap Pisgah
    No way Brad, Farlow would be way too smooth and flowey for him.

spec4life???..smh...
    definitely not charlotte..trails are not flowy and sure not smooth..

Id say the trails here in wilkes are as smooth and flowy as it gets... specifically the OVT..

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    While I agree with the smoothness of ovt ... I was talking about the greenways... Sherman is def smooth... Although none of these are what he is looking for

paintbucket
    Blue Ridge Parkway. Get a road bike.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    No way Brad, Farlow would be way too smooth and flowey for him.
    But it does go all the way across the country.

mtbr member
    Park way is closed. That's alot of criteria to have for a mountain bike ride. I suggest turning your brain off and pedal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sounds like the Virginia Creeper trail would fit the bill, but it is in, well, Virginia.
    Does anyone know of any similar Rails to Trails type stuff in WNC? I have some older (65+) flatland friends coming for a visit and need some alternatives for them. Dupont might be OK but a Creeper type trail would be perfect.

mtbr member

Here ya go.

Start at Bent Creek and work your way over to 215. Get the Pisgah District map #780 and figure it out.
    I would guess out n back would get you well over a century...and if you wanted you could throw in a lot of single track along the way

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider
    Sounds like the Virginia Creeper trail would fit the bill, but it is in, well, Virginia.
    Does anyone know of any similar Rails to Trails type stuff in WNC? I have some older (65+) flatland friends coming for a visit and need some alternatives for them. Dupont might be OK but a Creeper type trail would be perfect.
    Tsali is tame. And just south toward GA I have heard that Jackrabbit is very easy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks Maida7, I had forgotten about the Jackrabbit System. That would be just about right for them.

mtbr member
    fats is pretty buff and fast

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by runbuddha
    fats is pretty buff and fast
    If you go so far to visit FATS then have a ride on the Bartram trail. Very easy for any skill level. A super fast, high energy sprint for more fit riders.

Also a road trip is the Brushy creek trails adjacent to Tanasi in TN. Tanasi has some climbs but Brushy Creek is flat, smooth and very fast.

A good rider could do some of these in the big ring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider
    I will probably do the Va Creeper one day just for fun. The only reason it doesn't fit the bill is that it's downhill for about 17 miles and so no cardio at all. Don't say, "Why not do the whole thing uphill?" One that looks promising (also in VA) is the New River Park: http://www.great-trails.com/nriver.shtml

The Charlotte Greenways are mostly paved and too curvy but the McAlpine Greenway is actually pretty good and I go there for a workout when I don't have time to go far. Sherman is fun but not what I'm looking for in this post.

Some of the other suggestions look promising and I'll investigate.

Thanks to everyone who offered or will offer suggestions!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    So what you are looking for is a straight line slight ups and downs pretty views ... head to the coast and get a beach cruiser ... Hilton head.

Too curvy ... ?????

Big Mac
    Have you considered Spin Classes? Totally awesome cardio dude! Oh, why not do the Virginia Creeper uphill? What about I-40? That would be rad!