Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Croft

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Croft

Trail Map Page

Is Croft State Natural Area where the stumpjump race is held? I'm working in Spartanburg a couple of days a week for the next year and am looking for a place to ride nearby.

Any other recommendations for places to ride around Spartanburg?

Any recommendations on riding at Croft?

mtbr member
    Yes, that is where the StumpJump race is held. The race pit area is actually in an area that is private, and closed to mountain bikers normally. Parking at Southside Parking area (on the map you posted a link to) is the best bet.

As for other areas near Spartanburg, I can't really help you there. There is Paris Mountain in Greenville, and Lynches Woods in Newberry that are within an hour drive, as is Bent Creek in Asheville. There are a couple other members here who might be able to give you some suggestions. I think mikeridesabike is from that area, or at least rides there often enough.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Most of us here in Sparkle City are doing our local riding on the other side of Croft now. There is a parking lot on Dairy Ridge Rd. just past the turnoff to the main entrance to Croft State PArk. You can access the Palmetto trail from that lot. The PT leads to several other trails on the north side. There is a group that rides just about every Weds at 3:30 from there. Or feel free to PM me and maybe I can meet up and show you around.

Also, if you just want a short ride without having to drive out to Croft, there are some trails over in the Duncan Park area. Park at the baseball field and the trail is just right there by the lot. You can't get lost there as it is only a few miles long. Good for an hour or so of riding after work if you don't mind doing the same trail a few times.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Rogue Exterminator
    I am kind of surprised more of you guys from Spartanburg are not jumping on the trails at Green River Gamelands. If you park at the trail head near wilderness cove tubing, you are only a little over a half hour away (depending on where in Spartanburg you are of course.)
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rogue Exterminator
    However, this time of year during hunting season, I would only do Sundays.
    Little bit different breed of hunters out there then there is in other places. lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I am kind of surprised more of you guys from Spartanburg are not jumping on the trails at Green River Gamelands. If you park at the trail head near wilderness cove tubing, you are only a little over a half hour away (depending on where in Spartanburg you are of course.)
    Yeah - I have been meaning to get up there for a while now and still haven't made it. When are you going to show us around?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How long is your PT ride on Wednesdays?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alefak View Post
    How long is your PT ride on Wednesdays?
    I don't always make it due to that work thing, but they usually go a couple of hours. Longer during the summer.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Yeah - I have been meaning to get up there for a while now and still haven't made it. When are you going to show us around?
    I don't know my way around there without a map. You can get free maps online or at the Hendersonville Visitor Center.

Now if you want to know if I will go ride it with you, the answer is yes.
    This time of year I would only do a Sunday because of the amoung of hunting out there and through New Years, my available Sundays will be sporadic. If you seriously want to go ride out there then PM me and will figure out a time.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    It was raining in Pisgah yesterday so I took a chance and drove to Camp Croft/South Side trail system and it was dry and in primo condition. Someone had leaf-blown about half the southside loop along with Flat trail and Fern Gully.

I wasn't sure if the local club clears the trail every fall or maybe there had a been a runners race but it was nice to see the dirt again. In stark contrast, Rock Creek, High Side and Lizard were so leafed up I lost sight of the trail a couple times. Great having both conditions in one ride.

I keep hearing about the north side off Dairy Ridge and mikeridesabike has offered to show me around, is it as much better than SouthSide as I hear it is?

mtbr member
    Not necessarily better, but different. Not quite as rooty. You can do both in one day with the bridge they built over Fairforest Creek a few years ago. I keep threatening to ride all of Southside and Dairy Ridge in one day, but haven't done it yet. That would be about 35 miles or more.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Well I'll definitely check it out soon. This is the time of year to be riding the lower elevations and South Side is a real gem. I love to fly through there and remember spots I was roosting with a dirtbike 30-something years ago. Glad they kept it open for bicycles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Most of us here in Sparkle City are doing our local riding on the other side of Croft now. There is a parking lot on Dairy Ridge Rd. just past the turnoff to the main entrance to Croft State PArk. You can access the Palmetto trail from that lot. The PT leads to several other trails on the north side. There is a group that rides just about every Weds at 3:30 from there. Or feel free to PM me and maybe I can meet up and show you around.
    I've heard great things about dairy ridge but haven't ridden there yet, don't even know how to get there.
    Croft is awesome single-track, dare I say better than Paris mtn? No hikers/dogs to contend with, just awesome flowing trails.

Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Well I'll definitely check it out soon. This is the time of year to be riding the lower elevations and South Side is a real gem. I love to fly through there and remember spots I was roosting with a dirtbike 30-something years ago. Glad they kept it open for bicycles.
    I have a friend that grew up in Roebuck and he remembers riding there on dirt bikes as kid too.
    Maybe we can hook with Mike one day and check out Dairy Ridge?
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Maybe we can hook with Mike one day and check out Dairy Ridge?
    Yeah that'd be cool Lou, long time no see ...let's coordinate that for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Where are the southside trails?

mtbr member
    On the South Side of Croft.

Take Hwy 56 towards Pauline and go about 5 miles. Turn left of Groce Rd. and go about a mile to the parking lot. There is a $2 parking fee if you don't have an annual pass. Some people even pay it occasionally.

mtbr member
    I was there today, and the trails are in great shape, with the exception of a few trees that are down on High and Dry, and Rock Creek. Nothing that can't be navigated around, or walked over. I suspect the metal grate bridge over the creek on southside between Centerline and Lizard won't survive the rains over the next few days, but I have to admit that not getting my feet wet today was a nice surprise.

There wasn't anyone on the trails today other than myself while I was there, but as I was leaving, 2 guys were headed into the trails.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    That bridge has survived 30 years of various weather conditions. I suspect it will make it through this rain. It used to be in a different place. In fact, one map that a guy did a few years ago marked a spot as "the place where the metal bridge used to be."

mtbr member
    This bridge looked to be new metal, and was in a spot where I had never known a bridge to be. If that is the one you are thinking of, then I would love to be pleasantly surprised next time I ride there. It looked to be only 1 or 2 inches above the water, and resting on sand on both sides.

On a different note, when I dropped into the second drop on Idaho, I was startled a bit by how steep the drop was about halfway down where it had eroded. I can assure you that next time I will be a bit more behind the seat for that one :-) I didn't go over the bars, but the rear definitely wasn't touching until I rounded the bottom.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Idaho is such an awesome trail, its only flaw is that it's too short.
    Another note about Croft...It doesn't drain very well, is Dairy Ridge the same?
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    bumping this back to the top...i was out at dairy ridge road last week, trying to connect from there into the south side trail system. i went to the end of where the PT split, and then got on a shared horse/bike trail called lake johnson/fairforest connector, thinking that it would lead into that bridge over the creek and into southside. if anyone is familiar with that trail, i stopped where the two lakes are. did i not go far enough or take the wrong trail? the maps I saw were confusing.

mtbr member
    The "official" route for that would be - get to the end of the PT and hang a right. Go past the picnic table and then turn right on the connector trail. That takes you down to a creek. Cross the creek and then go right. Where the trail splits, go left up a pretty steep hill. That takes you to a road that we call the old pool road, even though I know it has another name. To get over to Southside from here, you can turn right on that road and then left on the main Croft road. Go about 2 miles on that road and you will come to the park offices and campground. Just past that on the right you will see the turn off on to the connector trail that takes you down to the bridge and over to Southside.

If it is very dry out, when you get to the first road you can go straight across and that trail winds for a mile or 2 and then dumps you out on the main Croft road a little closer to the park office. But that is an old horse trail and is really a mess when it is wet out. It's not that great when it's dry.

Dairy Ridge has mile and miles of "unofficial" trails that are not signed or on any map. The best way to learn them is to hook up with some locals.

mtbr member
    I just wanted to post an update. I rode that connector trail yesterday and they have really improved it. They took out a bunch of roots and re-routed around the giant mud holes. It is really a nice trail now. Big props to the guys at Croft for doing this.

mtbr member
    Rode Southside yesterday, my usual Southside > Centerline > Lizard > Southside > Idaho > Outlaw > Southside loop. Great stuff.

Anyways, I crossed that bridge that crosses the river by the southside/idaho/outlaw junction and saw a few trails on the DR side, is there a good 10 or so mile loop one can add and end up at that bridge again?
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode the "north side" of croft today, from the parking lot past the main entrance. Maybe sometime I could hook up with some guys that know that area better, because what I saw was not nearly as fun as the southside trails. It just didn't seem to flow very well at all. How much trail is on the north side that is not mapped or clearly visible from the yellow trail?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast