Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Couch Potato

lamer

Couch Potato

The Couch Potato

Five of my buddies and I are signed up for this. Anyone else doing it?

I'll be riding my JET 9 RDO. I've never ridden in Pisgah before, so I'm a little worried I won't have enough gears with 1x10 (32T, 11-36). I've got a WT 30T I plan on throwing on there, but I'm still not sure if that'll be enough. Thoughts?

Big Mac

Couch Potato

You'll never make it.

mtbr member
    Well lots of guys do it on single speeds if that tells you anything. In truth, most of the climbing on that course is on double-track or forest service roads. The one really nasty climb in the Swank that goes up to Farlow is left out.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    I'm in as well. You should be fine as long as your used to that gearing. The climbing is mostly fire road with the exception of Cove Creek and that is pretty tame (read: not steep, just long). Like someone said, the death climb up Farlow is not part of the Pa-Ta-To!!

mtbr member
    What is the death climb up farlow? I rode up there Thursday just to check things out.

Fish hatchery > Davidson River > 475 > 5003 > 140A > 140 > 5031 > 140A > Farlow

I was on a 32x20 SS and everything was manageable until 140A just before farlow. It was like riding up a narrow rocky river bed.

I'm signed up for the couch potato and the swank. Farlow is gnar. I'll be walking a good bit of farlow during the swank. Something tells me I won't be the only one

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    What is the death climb up farlow?
    Up 229 from Gloucester Gap. Long, steep, gravel road.

mtbr member
    looks like a fun course! 30 pisgah miles sounds just about right. like 60+ in bent creek.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    I would tend to disagree with that last comment. Bent Creek may not be technical, but there is plenty of elevation change. You can climb for over an hour from the parking lot to the top of Greens Lick. And the 30 miles of CP course is not overly technical either. A few spots where you will have to get off coming down Daniel Ridge to cross some bridges, but other than that, it is pretty rideable.

And if Dan Quayle were putting on this race, it would be called the Couch Potatoe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I would tend to disagree with that last comment. Bent Creek may not be technical, but there is plenty of elevation change. You can climb for over an hour from the parking lot to the top of Greens Lick. And the 30 miles of CP course is not overly technical either. A few spots where you will have to get off coming down Daniel Ridge to cross some bridges, but other than that, it is pretty rideable.

And if Dan Quayle were putting on this race, it would be called the Couch Potatoe.

I dunno. All I meant is that ten Pisgah miles feel like 15-20 miles elsewhere. Like bent creek for instance. And last time i rode to the top of greens, it was well under, not over, an hour.

Either way, couch potato(e) sounds like fun!!
    ​mountain biking is fun.

lamer
    Great. Thanks, guys. If the steeper climbs are just doubletrack/fire roads then I won't have a problem. We'll definitely be making a trip up there to try out the course beforehand, just to be prepared.

Oh, and does anyone know for sure if this route would happen to have hike-a-bike and/or water crossings? I'm expecting that it does.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    Oh, and does anyone know for sure if this route would happen to have hike-a-bike and/or water crossings? I'm expecting that it does.
    Not really. There are a couple of tree-trunk foot bridges crossings on Cove Creek during the first climb, but those are pretty much dismount, walk across, start riding again (you'll descend this on the final loop too). Long Branch on the 2nd leg has some really rutted out punchy climbs that are faster for me to walk than to kill myself spinning. The rest just depends on how comfortable you are with downhill sections on Daniel Ridge and Butter Gap.

The real hike-a-bike happens on Farlow Gap in the Swank.

mtbr member
    The Couch Potato

Five of my buddies and I are signed up for this. Anyone else doing it?

I'll be riding my JET 9 RDO. I've never ridden in Pisgah before, so I'm a little worried I won't have enough gears with 1x10 (32T, 11-36). I've got a WT 30T I plan on throwing on there, but I'm still not sure if that'll be enough. Thoughts?

I ride those trails with a 1x10 30T 11-36 and it works pretty well for me. There may be a few sections on Daniel Ridge where you wished you had a little more gearing but you should be fine with the 32T if you're a decent climber.

mtbr member
    I just took a look at the cue sheet. Looks like the climb up Long Branch is part of the course, so there will be a bit of HAB on that section for most of us. Nothing too bad. And there is a big creek crossing on Long Branch. You can avoid it by going over the bridge on the left.

lamer
    Almost time! Anyone else going to be out there?

mtbr member
    I'll be there for the potato and the swank. I'll be pushing the SS.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Couch Potato

I'll be there, first "race" and pretty stoked. We just had our son so I may be looking half dead from lack of sleep.

mtbr member
    I'm in. Raced last Saturday and haven't touched the bike since. So I will be a true Couch Potato in this one.

mtbr member
    The 'Tater was good fun. Great weather and those are always fun trails. There was a guy who crashed coming down Davidson River Trail near the bottom. EMS was on the way in when I came through. I hope he is OK.

mtbr member
    Good race indeed! Great day to be in the woods. Some of us even got some bonus miles because of a downed sign. Oh well, got our moneys worth! Hope that guy is OK as well. I also saw a girl down around mile 25, hope she is OK as well.
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Couch Potato

The girl supposedly had to get on a backboard/stretcher and be taken out, and what sucks is she supposedly wasn't in the race.

Beautiful day and awesome race to say the least!

lamer
    That was definitely fun. This was my first time out there, so I was pleasantly surprised by how fun the downs were, especially Butter

this is what was going through my head on the very first climb, though

Name:  20121202-210149.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  29.9 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    There was a guy who crashed coming down Davidson River Trail near the bottom. EMS was on the way in when I came through. I hope he is OK.
    When I said "a guy" I was guessing. Didn't really get a good look at the person. So I guess it was a girl. Hope she is OK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    It was my first race and ive never rode piscah before .Was a lot of fun and met alot of really nice people. Count me in for next year.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    We were out for a recreational day and had to turn around about 6 riders that missed the turn back onto Cove Creek and were headed back up to Daniel. That was just while we were riding up it so I imagine more than a few people made that mistake.

We were climbing up Davidson River Tr while the leaders were coming down it (whoops). I think racer boys need to understand that just because they're playing race they still need to follow proper trail etiquette. 2nd place rider (at that time) screamed out like a child, "I'm racing". Sorry bro....I'm climbing, deal with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    c'mon zod, racing is serious business. they paid like $3400 to compete, you insignificant minion!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast