Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Corn Mill Shoals Rideable?

1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  stumpbumper 
#1 ·
Would like to cross at Corn Meal Shoals at DuPont this coming weekend but weather forecast for the area calls for thunderstorms through Friday. Am concerned that the river might be high enough to make the crossing a bit of a hazard. What do you think guys? Can I zip right across or should I head on up to another parking area?

I participated in Save The Trails Challenge during the year of the monsoon and tjhe river was about crotch deep and flowing quite rapidly. I would not have attempted the crossing had ride officials not stretched a rope across the river between two trees. Even with the rope to hang onto with one arm while hanging onto my bike with the other, the pucker factor was extremely high. Believe me when I say I was more than happy to make it to the far bank. :eekster:.

Thanks.

#2 ·
We had a hard storm here yesterday afternoon, and it's beginning to look like we're in for another storm today, so expect relatively high water at CMS... You can usually check DSRF's rainfall here: Guion Farm North Carolina, but it looks like it's been off-line a couple days. If you crossed during the March '09 STT Challenge ride, you probably remember that folks manning the crossing asked riders to wear socks as they walked across--I always carry an extra pair of socks when riding there now. And if you remember your bike number from that ride, I may have a shot of you crossing...
TZ

#3 ·
Thanks for responding. I'll keep an eye on the weather.

I don't recall my STTC number but I'm the one hanging onto the rope with my left arm while holding a silver and blue Specialized Stumpjumber FSR Comp over my right shoulder. Seems like I wore a white helmet that day but am not certain about that.

I had studded flat pedals on my bike and was wearing Five-Ten Impacts. Their soles did a great job of gripping the slick rock and keeping the current from sweeping my feet from beneath me. I recall seeing a second "just in case" rope strung across the river a few yards further downstream. I hope no one had to use it.

Do you have any idea how many riders made the crosssing? Several later told me they turned back when they saw how high the river was.

#5 ·
Yep, VERY wet ride... It was also wet the Friday that volunteers marked the routes, wet the Saturday (the 28th) that the event was supposed to take place, and wet the Sunday (the 29th) that it actually happened. My wife & I carried in the ropes and set up the crossing at CMS--didn't need the down-stream rope, but had a couple close calls. I've looked through the photos I took and don't find you--sorry. I was frequently helping people step out of the river, and didn't document every rider--wish I had! I have shots of about 30 people crossing--don't know the official number.

So have you signed up for the STT ride August 25th (rain date 26th)? Hope to see you there (and hope it's DRY!)...

TZ

#20 ·
To get to Corn Mill Shoals on Little River from the Corn Mill Shoals parking area, you take trail No. 19 which is (believe it or not) Corn Mill Shoals trail. Continue on Corn Mill Shoals trail after crossing Corn Mill Shoals then take a left on trail No. 5 (Bridal Overlook trail) and you will soon be at Bridal Veil Falls. :D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.