Pisgah-Pale-Alien

Copperhead on Airstrip

Right as you enter the top of Airstrip there is a copperhead that suns itself on a flat rock between bushes to the left just a foot or so off the trail. This wasn't a random sighting, he's been there the last three times I rode Airstrip. The snake doesn't seem to mind the proximity to bikers so just a heads up, it's a place I see alot of riders pause a moment before the decent. By the way, all the trails in Dupont are primo right now, no mud/no dust!
    Pisgah Forest NC

Unpredictable
    Ah, the old Copperhead on the MTB trail trick. That's the second time I've used it this month.....

Being serious, here in Australia, a Copperhead is a bit of an enigma. Some say it doesn't exist. Some say it is a cross between a brown snake and a black or a tiger. Having stepped over snakes fitting the description while fishing, I hope your Copperheads are passive suckers like those on the Moonbah Creek.

Rogue Exterminator
    Nah, our copperheads are not passive but are a different snake then the Australian copperhead. Ours also venomous too but neither snake is closely related.

Most people here that say copperhead are also misidentifying them too but I would bet FatTire is right with his identification.
    Last edited by kjlued; 09-09-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Just don't stop to pet him and you will be fine. I ran over one at Southside one time.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

thecentralscrutinizer
    I've never had an issue with one. Several years ago I was riding through Umstead Park in Raleigh and it must have been the one day they decided to have a family reunion or something. They were everywhere, all sizes, probably passed 20-30 in a mile or two on the main road.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Those little suckers are mean as hell. I've only had a couple of close encounters with copperheads. The last one being when I almost stepped on one in my garage. I found a five gallon bucket and put over him with a brick on top until I could find the proper killing tool. Needless to say, he was not happy about the bucket.

While their venom is usually not deadly, you will need medical attention and they hurt like hell. So I've been told.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by scmtbiker View Post
    Those little suckers are mean as hell.
    Are they mean as hell because you freaked it out by almost stepping on it, put the bucket over it and found the right killing tool?

I wonder what it thought of you when all this was happening.
    Sounds more to me like it was only defending itself and you were the one that was mean as hell.

Most people bitten by snakes are bitten on the hand. This tells you the snake is not the aggressor the person is. Even if the person plans no harm to the snake, the snake is not aware of this when you reach for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ran over a timber rattler going up daniel's ridge a couple of weeks ago. I felt bad about riding over him, but didn't see him until I was right there. I was able to shout back to my riding buddy and tell him it was there. Got a long stick and moved him to the side of the trail, otherwise I think my friend would have turned around. He was a decent size, maybe 2 to 3 ft long. It was only around 70 degrees and no sun, so he was pretty laid back. My right foot was pretty close to his head as I passed over. I have heard they are laid back snakes in general, he never struck at me or the stick. Nothing like the water moccasins down here in the triangle, those f-ers are viscous and will try to chase you down if you are in their "hood". Also had one stick his head out of the water with a small brim (fish) in his mouth and was like "what mf-ers". But we were asking for trouble that day.

mtbr member
    Cotton mouth is the only snake I have ever seen after people and from a distance as well.
    Something very scary about a snake swimming from across a pond then proceeding to come up the bank towards us. We elected to un@ss the AO at that point!
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Are they mean as hell because you freaked it out by almost stepping on it, put the bucket over it and found the right killing tool?

I wonder what it thought of you when all this was happening.
    Sounds more to me like it was only defending itself and you were the one that was mean as hell.

Most people bitten by snakes are bitten on the hand. This tells you the snake is not the aggressor the person is. Even if the person plans no harm to the snake, the snake is not aware of this when you reach for it.
    I agree that people are the aggressor at times. At the time the one was in my garage both of my kids were under 6 and I did not want it getting to comfortable where he was.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by scmtbiker View Post
    I agree that people are the aggressor at times. At the time the one was in my garage both of my kids were under 6 and I did not want it getting to comfortable where he was.
    No, I get it.
    If I had one in my garage and didn't have knowledge on how to deal with them and the proper tools, I would kill it too. Especially if I have kids. It doesn't even bother me if people kill them when they come near the house where they could be threatening their well being.

It does upset me though when people just run around killing snakes (especially nonvenomous ones) because they have an irrational fear of them. I exchanged words with my neighbor over that a couple months ago who goes out in the woods and kills whatever snake he sees because he thinks he is protecting his children. He doesn't seem to be able to wrap his mind around the fact that some of those snakes are protecting his children better than he ever could. BTW, over 3 years in this house and I have never seen a copperhead or rattle snake on the 14 acres.

thecentralscrutinizer
    No, I get it.
    If I had one in my garage and didn't have knowledge on how to deal with them and the proper tools, I would kill it too. Especially if I have kids. It doesn't even bother me if people kill them when they come near the house where they could be threatening their well being.

It does upset me though when people just run around killing snakes (especially nonvenomous ones) because they have an irrational fear of them. I exchanged words with my neighbor over that a couple months ago who goes out in the woods and kills whatever snake he sees because he thinks he is protecting his children. He doesn't seem to be able to wrap his mind around the fact that some of those snakes are protecting his children better than he ever could. BTW, over 3 years in this house and I have never seen a copperhead or rattle snake on the 14 acres.
    It is irritating to say the least. I'll take a snake over some spiders and ticks any day. The fact that they keep the mice and rats under control is very comforting...
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No, I get it.

I used to have a nice black snake here at my house until he went over to the vacan lot my neighbor owns. He said they did not get along. Upset me that day. I generally don't kill snakes and just let them be.