mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Cool weather riding gear for NC?

Heading out on a ride this weekend w/ temps in the 40's Saturday. I'm still pretty new at mtn biking and just not familiar yet w/ proper riding gear for different seasons. What do you guys wear when its gonna be cold (to me) outside? Most peticularly.... do you break out pants when temps get to the 40's or do you still wear shorts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Shorts. Hate riding in pants. Knickers are ok.

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
    I pretty much ride in my man-pris and long sleeve wool jersey from October til April. Toss a windproof vest and skull cap in your pack and you're set for all but the coldest riding.
    Dirtbag since '89

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    wife beater and jorts

pronounced may-duh
    Wool is really nice. Even when it's drenched in sweat it still functions to keep you warm.

I've got major problems keeping my feet warm. So I have invested in insulated winter bike shoes.

on a sunny winter day, I wear a wool jersey, tights and my moon boots. For night rides and when it's very cold, I add the skull cap, heavy gloves and a shell to block the wind. Last year in the snow I used those chemical hand warmers and stuffed them in my moon boots.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maida7--

What winter MTB boots do you use, if I may ask? Are they waterproof or do you wear hydroseal socks inside?

Brian K
    Member, Pisgah Area SORBA
    GF HiFi Pro

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by briankrider
    Maida7--

What winter MTB boots do you use, if I may ask? Are they waterproof or do you wear hydroseal socks inside?

Brian K
    Member, Pisgah Area SORBA
    GF HiFi Pro

I've got the Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX shoes. They are insulated and have a gore tex liner to protect from the wet. They are kinda pricey but I knew somebody who got me a deal.

I've also heard very good things about the LAKE brand winter shoes.