mtbr member

Consider Charlotte, N.C.??

Where should I look to rent/ buy? I have two small boys and a wife and I am consider a transfer from work in San Francisco to Charlotte N.C.

I would like to be close to work. I currently don't know much about the area but the like to xc ride/ race. Is there much riding close to Charlotte?

Thank you for the help.

Wade

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You can ride the wheels off you bike in Charlotte. There are many options all over town North, South, East, and West. Some of the more popular options are: Lake Norman State Park, US National Whitewater Center, Sherman Branch, and Anne Springs (actually in SC just over the border). These are just a few. check out the Tarheel Trailblazers site for more info:
    http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/index.cfm
    There are a ton of racing options as well put on by Neil at Charlotte Sports Cycling. He does everything...XC style races, endurance, short track, cyclocross, and all of them are great events
    http://www.charlottemtnbike.com/

If that doesn't excite you, Asheville, NC/Pisgah National Forest has some epic mountain bike experiences that are just waiting for you.(1.5 -2.5 hour drive from Charlotte)

Charlotte is a great place to mountain bike.

As far as where to live, it'll depend on where the job is. This smells like a Wells Fargo move, so I suspect you'll be downtown. You might consider the South Charlotte area (area 5 in the website below), but depending on your price range there are a ton of other options. It'll also depend on whether you like sitting in traffic or not. Use this site to help narrow down your choices:
    http://www.carolinahome.com/
    Last edited by bd279; 12-20-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    the smell is correct, Where is most of the afterwork riding (North or South) of the city? Is there any public transporation (train, tram, bus etc)

Thank you for the website. I will check out asap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You'll have after work options no matter what. Check out the trail maps here.http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...6bf90&z=9&om=1
    There are night riding options on a few of those trails. The US National Whitewater center is probably the most challenging trail in the area, but everyone has different preferences.

Charlotte has a single light rail, the blue line , but I'm sure it's a joke compared to what you are used to. Bus transit is also available throughout the city.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bd279
    There are night riding options on a few of those trails.
    More info please!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Charlotte Night Riding

You can ride the USNWC at night. I know the website says dusk, but as long as the gate is open, you can ride. Poplar Tent is open to night riding as well. There's usually a group that rides Francis Beatty Park one night during the week after work.

Night rides are usually coordinated on the Tarheel Trailblazer forum. Post up and others are likely to join you.
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Be, I really appreciate the information. This will help me make a better decision. Here in northern california I am 15 min-30 mins from a great riding spot. Riding locations and proximity are very important to me. I will be coming with my family in the summer. Hopefully. My wife is a elementary school teacher. She will be taking off next year to stay home with our 2 boys (1,4 yrs). I would like to be close to work and the trails for after work riding or before work. I have never been to charlotte, only Raleigh/ chapel hill fir a short visit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm just north of Charlotte. I'm 25 min from Lake Norman state park. 5 min from Fisher Farm, 20 min from Poplar, 40 from Sherman, 30 from Whitewater Center. It's also only 1:15 from the Kerr Scott system.

banned
    Mar 2004
    And in another year and a half, LKNM State Park will have over 30 miles alone!
    Don't forget Uhwarrie to the east of Charlotte. That will be a new IMBA ride center with tons of riding in the near (2-4 years or so) future.

cowbellchallenge
    Mar 2007
    most are good guys in da club, just give your money, show your trail building skill often, and keep quite.

banned
    Mar 2004
    I'd say you have quite a few riding options wherever you settle down in the area. More to consider are schools for the kids and nice neighborhoods to settle in to. Lived in Charlotte for over 20 years before moving to the LKNM area. Man, I don't miss that traffic one bit!

If you are 'Wells Fargoing' then you'll either be downtown or in the University area. Or you could be lucky and work from home.

Lot's of choices. Just need to pick the one that suits you best.

Seeya on the trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled
    I'm just north of Charlotte. I'm 25 min from Lake Norman state park. 5 min from Fisher Farm, 20 min from Poplar, 40 from Sherman, 30 from Whitewater Center. It's also only 1:15 from the Kerr Scott system.
    Sounds like you're in Huntersville.

I really enjoy living in Huntersville. I work near downtown (Eastover). My commute is an easy 20-25 minutes. Good schools (for now). Low crime. Home prices are much better than Charlotte. Lots of riding within 30 minutes.

But... moving to H-ville might be too much of a culture shock for someone coming from San Francisco.
    Zippity do dah...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Charlottean here too. While there is plenty of good riding, keep in mind that it is different from NorCal trails. Here, all the trails (with the exception of PT) are managed by the Trailblazers, and some are in County Parks. that means well defined trails/boundaries and no wet weather riding. I'm ok with this, but just thought it should be made clear. Hopefully you're not wanting something comprable to NorCal, because it isn't. But, its ours and we like it here.
    Enjoy the ride!