mtbr member

Condition of PInk Beds

Anyone know if it's passable all the way to/from the gauging station. I'm considering a route that could include taking Pink Beds from S.Mills west to 276.
    Thx

drunken pirate
    It is wide open. Enjoy
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    It was flooded 2 weeks ago is that clear now?

drunken pirate
    Flooded? I haven't ridden it in three weeks so maybe I don't know after all... The reroute through the beaver bog has been finished for awhile....
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    According to people from the district I was speaking with recently, the bike-a-ble direction (north side, I think) is open. The hike only direction - the beavers are winning, the re-route has been flooded out.
    Go Beavers!

Thread Killer
    Rode it during Double Dare on Halloween weekend, and it was fine from 276 back to SMR. We haven't gotten enough rain to change that, I would think.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I went to ride it the 1st weekend of november and coming from the parking lot it was majorly flooded and had a sign up saying it was "closed" ??? I thought it was odd too

mtbr member
    Looks like I'll be up there doing recon mid-week. I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Rode it a week ago. I think the flooding sign is for the "southern" loop, which is never open to bikes. It has some really flood prone areas with a network of low bridges and walks. I think I have heard there is usually beaver activity and would explain flooding in a time of moderate drought. The seasonal section is totally open and a blast.

mtbr member

Yes, Pink Beds, in great shape...

It's totally passable from the Gauging Station to the Pink Beds lot, as others have stated, and, it's a blast - fast and flowy and a good departure. I especially like the turny/twisty jungly portion near the Gauging Station as it follows the creek. It's very damp, with lots of slippy roots and tight passages, but no bogs and all rideable. The middle portion, with all the cleared, single-tree pastures, is interesting to cruise through at high speed; would be very brilliant in the flowering "pink" season, I think. Overall, it's a good extension to Buckhorn Gap and S.Mills, which I rode to get there.

Club Gap, as always, was a bear to ascend - promise myself I'll only go down that from now on.

Bennett, always more technical than I remember it, "fun with waterbars".

Next time I'll go from the Pink Beds parking lot: Pink Beds > 476 > S. Mills River > Buckhorn Gap > Black Mtn over Rick > DOWN Club Gap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Condition of PInk Beds-piink-beds-bennett-gap_2d.jpg