Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Coming soon to Travelers Rest SC

Gateway Park in Travelers Rest SC will be getting a bike park in spring 2013. Trail Dynamics has the contract to design and build this, working with UpState SORBA and Greenville County Parks and Rec. We built a pump track there in July 2012, and this will be a major expansion building upon Phase 1.

The concept plan is attached, along with materials staging of stuff that will be incorporated into the trails and OTF features. We look forward to working with Greenville locals on this project, the first bike park in SC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coming soon to Travelers Rest SC-gateway-dirt-concrete-plan.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Great news for us Greenville riders! How many miles of XC trails will there be? Any elevation at all?

I am excited!

Team Martin
    SAHWEET!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Great news for us Greenville riders! How many miles of XC trails will there be? Any elevation at all?

I am excited!
    This is a small park and as you can see from the map already has a lot going on (competing for footprint) including a baseball field, football field and kids playground. Thus the final product will not be about mileage quantity, but instead quality and fun factor. The perimeter trail will be between 3/4-1 mile and will have optional trail features along the way. Several rhythm dirt sculpted and terra formed sections will also be fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is going to be nice!

mtbr member
    They should move TR a little closer to the interstate.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    This is a small park and as you can see from the map already has a lot going on (competing for footprint) including a baseball field, football field and kids playground. Thus the final product will not be about mileage quantity, but instead quality and fun factor. The perimeter trail will be between 3/4-1 mile and will have optional trail features along the way. Several rhythm dirt sculpted and terra formed sections will also be fun.
    Thanks for the update.... instead of the thread should mountain bikes be allowed on more WNC trails, it should be should Mountain Bikes allowed on more WSC trails. I don't understand why none of the parks in the Western part of SC do not allow bikers..... Jones Gap, Ceasar Head etc.

If you live in the Greenville Area there is only one trail to ride.... Paris Mountain which is high hiker traffic and you can't ride on Saturday. Don't get me wrong it is great to have Paris Mountain, but some other options would be great

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the update.... instead of the thread should mountain bikes be allowed on more WNC trails, it should be should Mountain Bikes allowed on more WSC trails. I don't understand why none of the parks in the Western part of SC do not allow bikers..... Jones Gap, Ceasar Head etc.

If you live in the Greenville Area there is only one trail to ride.... Paris Mountain which is high hiker traffic and you can't ride on Saturday. Don't get me wrong it is great to have Paris Mountain, but some other options would be great

That explains why DuPont gets so much SC traffic. There are plans to add trails in Pleasant Ridge Park on SC 11, this is a county park (Greenville County).

Jones Gap and C-Head form what is known as The Mountain Bridge Wilderness, this is a SC desination not a federal Wilderness. The trails located in these 2 parks are really poorly designed, they can not really sustain foot traffic not tomention adding bikes. Very steep landscapes, and all the trails were not really designed and built but instead just alked in (not the best way to develop a trail).

Team Martin
    That explains why DuPont gets so much SC traffic. There are plans to add trails in Pleasant Ridge Park on SC 11, this is a county park (Greenville County).
    And yet MORE great news!!!

mtbr member

Arrggh. My pet peave. A lot of it is political. The DNR head in the Jocassee area is pro-hunter and seriously anti-bike. The enviro-types, like Brad Wyche, are also anti-bike. Then you have the Greenville Watershed people and the Blue Ridge Electric Co-op and other groups who hold sway over the Palmetto trail who are just too scared of the perceived liability issues to go against the grain. If you have any polictical clout, please jump in! ;-)

mtbr member

Jones Gap and C-Head form what is known as The Mountain Bridge Wilderness, this is a SC desination not a federal Wilderness. The trails located in these 2 parks are really poorly designed, they can not really sustain foot traffic not tomention adding bikes. Very steep landscapes, and all the trails were not really designed and built but instead just alked in (not the best way to develop a trail).
    Regarding Pleasant Ridge Park, there is a lot of potential there...it backs up to a lot of undeveloped land. Some of it has become part of Jim Anthony's Mountain Park subdivision since I used to ride it, but I think there's still a lot there. Mostly old logging roads, but there was also an off-road motorcycle race that used to go through that area called Little Brown Jug. Hints of the trail can still be seen.

mtbr member
    In my humble opinion, there is no greater waste of space than the Greenville watershed. The potential trail system for the Greenville watershed would be absolutely epic. 14,000 acres of gorgeous terrain that could actually, more than pay for itself with user fees .

Try to make some thing better happen on the trail.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Pleasant Ridge has great potential. Upstate Sorba has a substantial investment in getting the trails going up there. The trail builders have pin flagged a line. Hope to meet with the county first part of January to get their take. If we are a go then we start digging ASAP!

As for the rest of of the Upstate wheels are spinning and planets are aligning. Good things to come in 2013. Keep an eye out and and ear to the ground.

Hwy 11 will become a playground for us all.

mtbr member
    My parents live near Seneca; Hwy 11 becoming a biking playground sounds fantastical~

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    In my humble opinion, there is no greater waste of space than the Greenville watershed. The potential trail system for the Greenville watershed would be absolutely epic. 14,000 acres of gorgeous terrain that could actually, more than pay for itself with user fees .
    Well, there is the whole watershed aspect that probably should be considered. Is maintaining a clean water supply really a waste of space? I'd love to explore the Greenville watershed and would really, really, really love to explore the Asheville watershed but I understand why they don't want people in those places. When it comes to paying for itself versus keeping a tract of land pristine I'll go with the pristine. If SC needs money to pay for that land they should look elsewhere for the money instead of developing it. There are so few places that are not developed these days - whether it be a trail system or another Cliffs development - it is okay not to make some pieces of land just another commodity that is packaged, marketed and sold....

I can't understand why bikes are not allowed on all of the Palmetto Trail. From what I have seen it is lightly used and would be perfect for mountain biking. Upstate SC has a lot of potential for mountain biking - it would be great to see more mountain biking options there.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Well, there is the whole watershed aspect that probably should be considered. Is maintaining a clean water supply really a waste of space? I'd love to explore the Greenville watershed and would really, really, really love to explore the Asheville watershed but I understand why they don't want people in those places. When it comes to paying for itself versus keeping a tract of land pristine I'll go with the pristine. If SC needs money to pay for that land they should look elsewhere for the money instead of developing it. There are so few places that are not developed these days - whether it be a trail system or another Cliffs development - it is okay not to make some pieces of land just another commodity that is packaged, marketed and sold....

I can't understand why bikes are not allowed on all of the Palmetto Trail. From what I have seen it is lightly used and would be perfect for mountain biking. Upstate SC has a lot of potential for mountain biking - it would be great to see more mountain biking options there.
    Thanks for the incite. Looks like the Palmetto trail has a trail share program. $25 for 1/100 of a mile of trail. I propose this. I will talk with the Upstate Sorba board to purchase 1 mile of trail that SORBA will help maintain in efforts to allow mtn bikes on trails. While it is just a start I think with getting all area mtbr's to support the effort it will only be a matter of time before we can utilize the whole trail system.

mtbr member
    Not that I am an expert in water quality management, but I don't see how allowing day hiking and/or biking inside the watershed could adversely affect water quality. So a few people pee and perhaps take the occasional poop in the woods. Animals do it all the time and there are hundreds or perhaps thousands of feet of dirt and rock to filter it out before it gets to the reservoir.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp View Post
    Thanks for the incite. Looks like the Palmetto trail has a trail share program. $25 for 1/100 of a mile of trail. I propose this. I will talk with the Upstate Sorba board to purchase 1 mile of trail that SORBA will help maintain in efforts to allow mtn bikes on trails. While it is just a start I think with getting all area mtbr's to support the effort it will only be a matter of time before we can utilize the whole trail system.
    We are way off topic here from the OP, but what the heck.

The Palmetto Trail was originally conceived to allow bikes, that is fact. The PT was the brian child of Jim Schmidt who now works for the USFS as Trails Manager for all FS trails in FL. I have known Jim for 20+ years and have had several lengthy talks with him at the Palmetto. His idea was for a hike/bike trail across the state to mimic NC version, the Mountains to Sea Trail. But as Jim says it "why would anybody want to walk across this state, that would be boring".

PCF has not been anti bike, though many of the players have now changed. They advocated for bikes on the trail whenever possible years ago and when they first started. In fact 2 of the key staff were mtn bikers and they did fight the good fight. PCF is however not a land managing agency, but instead a non-profit whom must work with a wide range of different land managers to accomplish the goal of a cross state trail. The realized that if they continued the fight for mtn bikes on all parts of the trail, they would not complete the goal and would lose to DNR who actually controls much of the land the trail runs across.

TD helped build many of the sections of the PT that runs from 178 to Table Rock Park, and the trail officially opened to bikes only to get closed to bikes by DNR. I did write a letter to Mark Hall with the DNR at that time and got a response. I was not however in a position of "advocacy" as I was a contractor doing trail work on DNR lands. UpState SORBA did not exist at that time and could have played a role perhaps.

I have a whole file on the PT running though Gorges area with many letters and the trail specs showing open to bikes. I live in NC so this is not my fight, SC folks need to carry this torch. I would however be happy to give my file to someone if deemed it might would be helpful.

Woody

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

as Jim says it "why would anybody want to walk across this state, that would be boring".

Woody
    That's what I thought when I found out about the trail, but with it being so close to where I live, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to find out. I rode east to west, Awendaw to Spartanburg. I was amazed at the beauty that I rode through and the interesting people I met. So amazed that I intend to do this ride again. I stopped at Spartanburg because of the 100plus miles of pavement that would lead me to Oconee State park was not appealing. If I could have ridden the closed off road sections, this route would be awesome, 450 ish miles with probaly 350 off road. The Western Terminus of the route is 12 miles from the Eastern Terminus of the Trans North GA Route....Epic? 700 mile bikepacking route in the south east!

mtbr member
    We are way off topic here from the OP, but what the heck.

The Palmetto Trail was originally conceived to allow bikes, that is fact. The PT was the brian child of Jim Schmidt who now works for the USFS as Trails Manager for all FS trails in FL. I have known Jim for 20+ years and have had several lengthy talks with him at the Palmetto. His idea was for a hike/bike trail across the state to mimic NC version, the Mountains to Sea Trail. But as Jim says it "why would anybody want to walk across this state, that would be boring".

PCF has not been anti bike, though many of the players have now changed. They advocated for bikes on the trail whenever possible years ago and when they first started. In fact 2 of the key staff were mtn bikers and they did fight the good fight. PCF is however not a land managing agency, but instead a non-profit whom must work with a wide range of different land managers to accomplish the goal of a cross state trail. The realized that if they continued the fight for mtn bikes on all parts of the trail, they would not complete the goal and would lose to DNR who actually controls much of the land the trail runs across.

TD helped build many of the sections of the PT that runs from 178 to Table Rock Park, and the trail officially opened to bikes only to get closed to bikes by DNR. I did write a letter to Mark Hall with the DNR at that time and got a response. I was not however in a position of "advocacy" as I was a contractor doing trail work on DNR lands. UpState SORBA did not exist at that time and could have played a role perhaps.

I have a whole file on the PT running though Gorges area with many letters and the trail specs showing open to bikes. I live in NC so this is not my fight, SC folks need to carry this torch. I would however be happy to give my file to someone if deemed it might would be helpful.

Woody
    Woody's description of the PT debacle is exactly as I remember it. We coughed up cash donations for the trail building and met the really enthusiastic trail builders... and that just adds to my disgust. I also corresponded with Mark Hall and he was one of the biggest ....trying to think of a nicer word here...let's just say pompous, intractible, specious, and proudly ignorant person in authority I think I've ever conversed with. I'm sorry to say he is still in a position of power in SC.

I also agree that the folks in charge of the trail tried hard before admitting defeet. I'd love to see upstate SORBA take on the challenge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Woody,

I would be interested in any info you can provide. We can talk next time you are at gateway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp View Post
    Woody,

I would be interested in any info you can provide. We can talk next time you are at gateway.
    I will give you my file when we see each other next. Lots of stuff in that file including letters dating back to 2001.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    That's what I thought when I found out about the trail, but with it being so close to where I live, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to find out. I rode east to west, Awendaw to Spartanburg. I was amazed at the beauty that I rode through and the interesting people I met. So amazed that I intend to do this ride again. I stopped at Spartanburg because of the 100plus miles of pavement that would lead me to Oconee State park was not appealing. If I could have ridden the closed off road sections, this route would be awesome, 450 ish miles with probaly 350 off road. The Western Terminus of the route is 12 miles from the Eastern Terminus of the Trans North GA Route....Epic? 700 mile bikepacking route in the south east!

But would this all have been as exciting if you were walking?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    But would this all have been as exciting if you were walking?
    sections yes, but overall no, there are some long dirt road, paved sections that would not be at all enjoyable on foot... on a bike, those miles passed quickly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    sections yes, but overall no, there are some long dirt road, paved sections that would not be at all enjoyable on foot... on a bike, those miles passed quickly.
    Just as I would have thought, and thus why Jim brianstormed bikes way back then.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast