Thread: College and MTB

mtbr member

College and MTB

Hey guys, I'm considering uprooting from Michigan and moving SE. North and South Carolina have a major appeal to me because of the weather and local hospitality... much different than the northerner's attitude here.

I'm a nursing student, but I'm currently in a position where I can consider moving... So I'd like to do it. I'd like to start out on the community college level and/or technical school to obtain my RN (associate degree) first. So what cities should I be looking into for both going to a reputable school and living an active outdoor lifestyle. Any places (schools) I should stay away from? My Girlfriend (future fiancee) will be going with me, she's a dietician so we need access to health systems... for the both of us. Rent should be affordable, under $1000 for a 2bd hopefully.

Thanks again,
    Adam
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

Rogue Exterminator
    Blue Ridge Community College in Hendersonville NC and Brevard Community College in Brevard NC both have a nursing program if you want a Community College.

UNC Asheville also has a nursing program.

If you are wanting to be really close to the best trails those will be the best areas to live.

Asheville will offer more things to do such as shopping, dining and night life.
    Then Hendersonville and then Brevard.

All are within 30 minutes of each other.

If you wanted to do the Community college, you could live in Fletcher or Arden which is between Asheville and Hendersonville and that way you will have the best of both worlds.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Big Mac

College and MTB

Ab tech in Asheville also has a really strong nursing program. They work closely with mission hospitals which is the largest employer around.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Ab tech in Asheville also has a really strong nursing program. They work closely with mission hospitals which is the largest employer around.
    This, from what I hear best in the area for associates. Used to be tough to get into, but that was like 10 years ago when I was somewhat in the loop
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    USC Upstate in Spartanburg has a great nursing program. We are 30 minutes south of Hendersonville and about an hour from Pisgah if you ignore the speed limit. And there are a few trails right on the campus.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You might want to check out Clemson. I'm in architecture here and I think we have a good nursing program. There's also Tri County Tech 10 minutes down the road which I believe has nursing. There are trails within biking distance of campus, Anmed is 20-30 minutes away if you want to transfer straight into a hospital, and Dupont/Pisgah are ~1 hour away. Greenville is close if you want more restaurants/city things, and Hartwell/Keowee/Jocassee lakes are within 30 minutes. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm most likely going to end up in the Colombia, SC area, hopefully a little closer to Lexington. Midlands Tech is seeming like a good choice for school, and Lexington Medical Center has several job postings that would work for me as a Nursing Aide. Looks to be a few stellar trails within an hour drive.

Thanks, Adam.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

Rogue Exterminator
    I guess that would depend on what you consider stellar but you are 2.5 hours from the mountains.

Big Mac

College and MTB

Well, as they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

Rogue Exterminator
    That's ok, we have enough people here anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Dude! If you still have choice listen to these guys. If I made a list of the best places to live in the Carolinas using your stated criteria, Columbia would not make the list. Sorry Columbia, but that is my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, I would avoid Columbia for mtb. There are really good programs at both Clemson (BS) and Tri County (AS) plus there are great trails all over. Fants Grove is right across the road from Tri County and there are 20+ miles of trails there and on the other side of Clemson another 45+. Plus Pisgah is under an hour away and a few other pockets of trails under an hour as well.

mtbr member
    Columbia isn't that bad. Not the best but you can still bike. there is harbison state forest and sesquicentrnial state park. there are trails in Sumter which is not that far away. also your right in the middle of the state. you can drive to Greenville in 1.5 hours. Asheville in 2.5. the beach is like 1.8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam View Post
    Hey guys, I'm considering uprooting from Michigan and moving SE ...

Thanks again,
    Adam
    It sucks here, you're better off staying in Michigan...

said NO ONE, EVER!!!

Moving from Pinckney to WNC was the smartest thing we ever did. My only regret was not doing it 10 years ago...
    Last edited by jerry68; 03-03-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon_Green View Post
    Columbia isn't that bad. Not the best but you can still bike. there is harbison state forest and sesquicentrnial state park. there are trails in Sumter which is not that far away. also your right in the middle of the state. you can drive to Greenville in 1.5 hours. Asheville in 2.5. the beach is like 1.8.
    But one of his major criteria was mountain biking.

You can bike pretty much anywhere but really good mountain biking is not in Columbia.
    However, really good mountain biking is in Western NC and so are really good nursing programs. Job market is not the best but it is workable for those who want to work.
    Job market may be better Greenville, they have good nursing programs, and it is close enough to some of the best trails on the east coast. Plus if he wants to get a fix in after class/work the trails there are not bad.

With his criteria, the decision should really only include Greenville SC, Asheville NC, and areas in between/around. Columbia shouldn't even be on the list.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

College and MTB

Athens, ga. Uga. Athens tech. Lots of great road riding. Some decent Mtb nearby within an hour. . Really good MTB within an hour or two.

Jon Kohler
    sent from my iPhone

mtbr member
    Please... the one industry you are almost guaranteed to find employment in here (Asheville) is healthcare. Yes, some jobs might suck, but there's good gigs too (I have one). If mtbing is your criteria, SC is OK, my parents retired to Seneca, it's fun around there, but nothing like WNC mtns. I rode tonight for 2.5 hours with tons of elevation gain and tech riding and didn't ride 5% of the trails within 45 minutes of my house. I grew up in Rochester MI and went to CMU...WNC is what you want, not SC (unless you want to be closer to super beaches...)

Big Mac

College and MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel 13 View Post
    Athens, ga. Uga. Athens tech. Lots of great road riding. Some decent Mtb nearby within an hour. . Really good MTB within an hour or two.

Jon Kohler
    sent from my iPhone
    And the straight out of left field suggestion....