mtbr member

C'mon now! Squirrel Gap Trail Work Ride Sept 9th

A work ride will occur Sat Sept 9th departing Turkey Pen Trailhead at 10am. Particpants should bring a largish snack, plenty of water for 4 hours in the woods at least, and a sense of fun. Work will focus on reinforcing the bank of one stream crossing and digging out/ rock armoring a trail seep shortly thereafter.
    Hope to see y'all out there.
    Mike

EDIT:Also, bring a bike plus usual tools/tube/pump!! It's a work ride after all Expect about two hours of riding on top of about two hours of work..
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 09-04-2006 at 08:49 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm there MIke. Thanks for taking the lead!

mtbr member

Has the entire trail been brushed?

I missed the last trail day and will probably miss all of them due to work, so...

Was there any brush work done last time or planned for this one? Trying to ride through there rewards one with shredded arms. I know that some angel had done some trimming from Horse Cove back toward Buckhorn, but one person just can't do it all.

Is it possible to take a weed-eater with blade in there sometime? Does the forest service allow APPROVED crews to use power?

Everything is so overgrown.

mtbr member
    DFL- sorry about the work interference, that's one thing I definitely understand.

Overgrowth:
    1) Yes, we COULD use a weedeater- in fact, we can check them out straight from the USFS.
    2) BUT...there's mixed opinions on this. Some people (including myself, I'll admit) like the overgrowth on some sections. So long as I can get through it and it ain't briers, it lends to the rugged feeling of the trail for me. But, I'll ask people on the work ride when we encounter overgrown sections- if the consensus is to trim back, we'll do it. And we'll ALWAYS trim the briers back...
    3) Another advantage to the overgrowth, FWIW, is it helps discourage unauthorized equestrian use of the middle section of this trail...
    4) Speaking of equestrians, Pisgah Trailblazers (the equestrian trail crew) is responsible for clearing the section mentioned. Next time you see one of them, thank them if you like the work. They have also been working on that terrible mud pit on Horse Cove that has been about 1/2 fixed and did the work on Laurel Creek 2 years ago.

That's it,hope to see some of y'all on Saturday
    Mike

mtbr member

Horses

Something has to be done about the equestrians. They seem to be using the off-limits portion of Squirrel Gap and Black Mountain trail, past the Shelter, and doing a lot of damage.

I met a group of them coming down the steps at Buckhorn Gap and informed them that they're relly not supposed to be up there. The nice woman told me that the horse club had done a lot of work up there to open things up enough for horse use, so it's OK that they use it now!

Can we install cattle grates?

And whatever you do, don't ever trim away the high branches!

pronounced may-duh
    I can't make it. My son has a soccer match. In fact my son has a soccer match every saturday morning for the next two months.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Mike, sorry I did try to make it. I brought a friend who had a mechanical at the far side of the suspension bridge. worked on it for over a hour to get the brake fixed but ended up disabling it and riding back to the car.

I, myself like the heavy foliage on the trail. Just enough to get your bars through. Hand loppers are the best for trimming back the foliage on trails. Like the tight upper sections of Heartbreak Ridge? All done by hand loppers by Todd Branham and crew.

Another problem with running the weed eater/blade combo is it usually splits the branch at the contact point creating an ugly mess and making the plant more susceptible to insect/disease damage.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jeremy- no sweat.

Trail work went great. Check out the two spots we worked on next time you're on this trail.

1) At the first creek crossing past Laurel Creek going towards Horse Cove, we "closed" the line that was pushing down the hill and rock armored the creek bank so that a good line was established- it was super fun coming down with the BOB flying behind me.
    2) Shortly thereafter, a spring head is right on the trail side and it's drainage had filled with muck and leaves. We cleared this out and made the drainage stronger with rock.

A good day in which goals set were met.

Last comment-descending with a BOB is a riot!! Anybody who hasn't tried it should- it's amazing how it kicks up in the air over stuff and you don't even feel it as feedback in the bike. Great fun...
    Mike