Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 450VoltsDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    172

    Climb Ridgeline? Why?

    I don't know Dupont but rode Jim Branch, Hickory Rd, Ridgeline twice last week. Loved it! Perfect for a Geezer.

    I see riders climbing Ridgeline and wonder where they're going?
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,500
    They like to kill the flow of the downhill riders. It annoys me when people ride up the few trails that are known to be excellent downhills. Ridgeline, Greenslick, and Black Mountain are the most annoying. People will say it doubles the riding options, but I don't know why you'd want to climb those, anyways.

  3. #3
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,827

    Climb Ridgeline? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    They like to kill the flow of the downhill riders. It annoys me when people ride up the few trails that are known to be excellent downhills. Ridgeline, Greenslick, and Black Mountain are the most annoying. People will say it doubles the riding options, but I don't know why you'd want to climb those, anyways.
    Seriously? I can't say I'm concerned about your "flow", but I don't climb black mountain or greenslick to "kill" it. Do you always feel so entitled?

  4. #4
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,827

    Climb Ridgeline? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC View Post
    I don't know Dupont but rode Jim Branch, Hickory Rd, Ridgeline twice last week. Loved it! Perfect for a Geezer.

    I see riders climbing Ridgeline and wonder where they're going?
    I know, right! Why climb anything? It's like they're trying to get to the top or something. Cod heads.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Seriously? I can't say I'm concerned about your "flow", but I don't climb black mountain or greenslick to "kill" it. Do you always feel so entitled?
    I was being a bit festicious. I realize that people don't do things just to get in my way. I do think it's a bit dangerous to climb a trail like Greenslick where you know riders are bombing down it. By the way, I don't feel all that entitled. I appreciate the trails I have, and I don't mind sharing. Do you always get so defensive?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 450VoltsDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I know, right! Why climb anything? It's like they're trying to get to the top or something. Cod heads.
    He shoots! He misses!

    Still wondering if climbing Ridgeline is the way to something besides riding down instead of up a gravel road? Or a Ridgeline Yo-Yo?

    Is Hickory Loop, the other choice at the end of Hickory Rd., the way to something finer? I read it's an eroded mess.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

  7. #7
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,827

    Climb Ridgeline? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC View Post
    He shoots! He misses!

    Still wondering if climbing Ridgeline is the way to something besides riding down instead of up a gravel road? Or a Ridgeline Yo-Yo?

    Is Hickory Loop, the other choice at the end of Hickory Rd., the way to something finer? I read it's an eroded mess.
    If a person is at the bottom of ridge line, and they want to go up, why not go up ridge? It's an alternative to gravel. Why do you care? Ride up it and find out!

  8. #8
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,827

    Climb Ridgeline? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I do think it's a bit dangerous to climb a trail like Greenslick Do you always get so defensive?
    Why is it dangerous? And yes I'm always defensive when folks start talking silly crap like this. I don't want my options limited, thank you very much.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrailZen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    361

    To Drop Jim Branch!

    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC View Post
    I see riders climbing Ridgeline and wonder where they're going?
    At least some of us climb Ridgeline planning to drop Jim Branch. I tend to alternate climbs and descents on these two trails; each is a good climb and each is a fun descent...

    TZ
    Last edited by TrailZen; 06-07-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    153
    TZ has it the nail on the head! Also, we will climb Ridgeline in order to drop Rifle down to Shoal Creek & then climb it up to the road and finish the ride at Guion Farm.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ridn29s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    They like to kill the flow of the downhill riders. It annoys me when people ride up the few trails that are known to be excellent downhills. Ridgeline, Greenslick, and Black Mountain are the most annoying. People will say it doubles the riding options, but I don't know why you'd want to climb those, anyways.
    I climb it because it's fun to annoy people who think they have some special right to just bomb down it unconcerned for other trail users. I climb Black for the same reason. The trails in Dupont, as in Pisgah are SHARED by multiple user groups. Let's hope that bikers don't lose that privilege.

    Apart for that, I climb these trails because they offer variety and because you can get faster going downhill when you know the trail from riding it uphill. Compared to the back country in Pisgah a trail like Ridgeline is actually a pretty easy uphill....
    many gears, some pies

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s View Post
    I climb it because it's fun to annoy people who think they have some special right to just bomb down it unconcerned for other trail users. I climb Black for the same reason. The trails in Dupont, as in Pisgah are SHARED by multiple user groups. Let's hope that bikers don't lose that privilege.

    Apart for that, I climb these trails because they offer variety and because you can get faster going downhill when you know the trail from riding it uphill. Compared to the back country in Pisgah a trail like Ridgeline is actually a pretty easy uphill....
    You must have missed my second post. Does anybody actually read anything before posting?

    As far as being dangerous riding up Greenslick... Can anybody really claim that they are completely under control and able to stop on a dime around every corner if needed? Especially on a trail like Greenslick, where it's steep enough that stopping can be quite difficult. Coming around a blind turn with a rider riding up can lead to some dangerous situations. I think everybody can admit to that. I don't try to ride irresponsibly, but if I have to crawl down Greenslick to avoid potential conflicts, then I'd rather not ride down that trail. I couldn't afford to replace all of those brake pads.

    There's nothing wrong with riding up any trail that isn't designated as one-way, but some trails are just known to be great downhills. Expect others to be enjoying riding down it while you're climbing up it. I find it annoying that some people feel the need to lug their bikes up certain downhills when there are other ways up, much like stopping for horses is annoying. Do I do it? Of course. Do I enjoy it? Not at all. If that bothers you, get over it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 450VoltsDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    TZ has it the nail on the head! Also, we will climb Ridgeline in order to drop Rifle down to Shoal Creek & then climb it up to the road and finish the ride at Guion Farm.
    THAT's what I was looking for; thanks to you both. Have to check my new map for Rifle and Shoal Creek.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    453
    ps that little picnic area shelter near the start of ridgeline makes a nice little drop off the back side!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    160
    This thread is concerning.

    I get that it was asking a specific question which only got answered later on, but for any two-way, multi-use trail - and as this thread proves - even just asking this question immediately begs another. What it confirms to me is that some riders consider their desire to bomb down a trail at a risky speed to trump others' rights to even exist on the trail.

    Not to mention all the other reasons someone might legitimately climb any given trail, some of the people you see out there aren't locals, and aren't experts on which trails are fun to descend and which to climb. They're exploring. And they have that right on a two-way trail.

    People climbing up the trail aren't the only obstacles you might encounter. Maybe you've ridden a trail 100 times and know exactly how much speed you can squeeze out of every turn. Guess what? Storm hits one night, tree comes down...you're screwed. Rider ahead of you wipes out...you're screwed. Little kid is learning how to ride a bike that day (the future of our sport) and not moving so fast - you're screwed. Horseback riders decide to take a different route and explore something different this time - you're screwed. It can and does happen, folks. I'll link to this yet again:
    Important Public Service Announcement from PAS

    Yes, you should always ride in control and be able to stop in the distance you can see. If you're not, you're taking a risk, and not just for yourself. If you're on a two-way trail, riding at a risky speed, and you lose that bet and run into someone - or even just come close enough to make them uncomfortable - not only are you risking injury for yourself and the person you hit, but you're opening up to real liability for being reckless, and putting everyone else's enjoyment of the trails in jeopardy.

    That said, I'm not *opposed* to one-way trails when they make sense - and that certainly reduces the risks mentioned above. We just don't happen to have any in the area mentioned here. Until that happens...be safe and just enjoy yourself without being so damn committed to speed.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc View Post
    This thread is concerning.

    Yes, you should always ride in control and be able to stop in the distance you can see. If you're not, you're taking a risk, and not just for yourself. If you're on a two-way trail, riding at a risky speed, and you lose that bet and run into someone - or even just come close enough to make them uncomfortable - not only are you risking injury for yourself and the person you hit, but you're opening up to real liability for being reckless, and putting everyone else's enjoyment of the trails in jeopardy.
    NOBODY rides completely in control at all times and is able to instantly stop at any given time. Nobody. I have never seen one rider that I have come across that would have been able to instantly stop had we both been going for the same spot in each direction. People swerve, slow down, bail, whatever, but nobody is always able to stop. If you tell me that you always ride under complete control around every downhill turn or pay attention for every second on every climb with no lapse of concentration, you're flat out lying.

    I never said people don't deserve to climb a trail or that people should be allowed to bomb down hills without concern of others. READ THE POSTS! I said I don't enjoy stopping for others while in the middle of a great descent. Do you?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    159
    If you want to ride "balls out", at the edge of control, then go to Wind Rock or Snowshoe or some similar type of trail system. When you ride multi-user trails, (most especially in high use areas like DuPont and Pisgah) you should ride like you assume another trail user is around the next bend, 'cause there very well could be. All it will take is for one irresponsible MTBer to crash into a five year old that has scooted ahead of Mom and Dad and the gig is up, especially for the five year old. So yes, you should be in control enough to stop before hitting another trail user and, if you can't or won't, then take up another sport, like knitting! Multi-use (and multi-directional) trails are for everyone, not just a select few.



    ~~Ride More, Complain Less~~

  18. #18
    What does a bean mean?!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s View Post
    ...because you can get faster going downhill when you know the trail from riding it uphill...
    THIS. You want to ride a trail faster going down it? Ride it uphill a few times.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    If you want to ride "balls out", at the edge of control, then go to Wind Rock or Snowshoe or some similar type of trail system. When you ride multi-user trails, (most especially in high use areas like DuPont and Pisgah) you should ride like you assume another trail user is around the next bend, 'cause there very well could be. All it will take is for one irresponsible MTBer to crash into a five year old that has scooted ahead of Mom and Dad and the gig is up, especially for the five year old. So yes, you should be in control enough to stop before hitting another trail user and, if you can't or won't, then take up another sport, like knitting! Multi-use (and multi-directional) trails are for everyone, not just a select few.



    ~~Ride More, Complain Less~~
    Another hypocrite. You cannot honestly say that you could stop at any given time around every single corner if there was a person sitting in the middle of the trail! You should be able to dodge them, but there is no way you can say that with complete honesty. I've said it multiple times in this thread, if you've taken the time to read the posts, that I respect other users and try to ride under as much control as I can. Nowhere was there any mention of being "balls-out" or on the edge of control That said, there is no way to maintain 100% ability to stop in a split-second going around a blind turn unless you're going about 3 mph. Do you go at a walking pace around every blind corner? Really? Hypocrite.

  20. #20
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,827

    Climb Ridgeline? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Another hypocrite. You cannot honestly say that you could stop at any given time around every single corner if there was a person sitting in the middle of the trail! You should be able to dodge them, but there is no way you can say that with complete honesty. I've said it multiple times in this thread, if you've taken the time to read the posts, that I respect other users and try to ride under as much control as I can. Nowhere was there any mention of being "balls-out" or on the edge of control That said, there is no way to maintain 100% ability to stop in a split-second going around a blind turn unless you're going about 3 mph. Do you go at a walking pace around every blind corner? Really? Hypocrite.
    Keep digging....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,500
    You people are ridiculous. Read what I said, which was based off of a bit of a joke, and figure it out. There's a difference between riding under control and crawling down the trail. I've seen your bikes, and you can't tell me you ride them slow enough to stop in an instant. NOBODY does. I'm not digging anything. I'm just the person being honest, here.

    If you've ever ridden with me, you know I'm responsible on the trail. More so than most. If you haven't, then get over yourself and really analyze the way that you ride. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO MAINTAIN THE COMPLETE ABILITY TO STOP IN LESS THAN A SECOND ON MANY SECTIONS OF TRAIL! I understand the lack of reading comprehension, here, but think about it. Some steep sections are just too steep to instantly stop in the middle of them. Certain rock sections require momentum to get through. Some of those sections are around turns. Some of those turns are blind turns. You've never been surprised by a person in a blind corner or behind a tree? Even if you're the most careful rider in the world, you CANNOT say that you've never had to stop faster than you were able to.

    Come on, people. Think before you post.

  22. #22
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,827

    Climb Ridgeline? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post

    Come on, people. Think before you post.
    Perhaps you should take your own advise. You're a walking contradiction.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Perhaps you should take your own advise. You're a walking contradiction.
    Exactly what have I said that you're so upset about? I've summarized my posts for you below. I even put them in blue to make it easier to read.

    I don't enjoy stopping for other users, but I do it.

    I feel that there are better ways to get up to the top of mountains than riding up Greenslick or Black Mountain.

    If you do decide to ride up one of those trails, expect to see riders coming down that may not be able to stop for you on a dime.

    Certain sections of trail require more momentum to clear and require more time to stop if needed.


    Exactly which one of those comments bunches your panties? Enlighten me as to how I'm contradicting myself. Oh, and I'm calling you out on your hypocrisy. Stop avoiding the question.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    46
    I up Ridgeline because it beats the hell out of climbing a gravel road. Maximizing time spent on singletrack and clocking 40+ miles is what's fun to me, so I often ride down and up many of those trails in the same day. Plus I like to piss off those downhillers.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s View Post
    I climb Black for the same reason...
    I only climb Black 'cuz Eric makes me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ridgeline Status
    By flipsidem in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 07:36 AM
  2. Rolling Ridgeline
    By schnauzers in forum Passion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM
  3. PBR- Come ride Ridgeline before I do
    By jaycastlerock in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
  4. Honda Ridgeline
    By Big boss man in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
  5. Ridgeline 2011
    By ProEdgeBiker in forum Southeast - GA, TN, AL, FL
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •