Thread Killer

Chimney Rock Master Plan comments

It's public comment time for the Chimney Rock SP master plan. Check out Chapter 10 from the Project Resource Page link -- they've set aside Weed Patch Mountain on the north end of the park to link to the town of Lake Lure's trail access center for a purpose-built MTB area ...

Release: Immediate Contact: Charlie Peek
    Date: Nov. 22, 2010 Phone: (919) 715-8709

Park’s draft plan to be available for public review next week

RALEIGH – A draft master plan for Chimney Rock State Park will be presented online for public review starting Nov. 29, and public comments on the plan will be accepted through Dec. 13, according to the N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation.

Comments will be considered for the final master plan expected to be completed in early 2011.

A state park’s master plan is essentially a blueprint for long-term development of facilities and recreation opportunities and a guide for protection of natural resources. Three initial design alternatives were publicly presented earlier this year by Greenways Inc., a Durham-based environmental planning and landscape architecture firm responsible for completing the master plan. The alternatives differed primarily in the extent of development proposed.

The N.C. General Assembly authorized Chimney Rock State Park in 2005. More than 4,300 acres in Rutherford, Polk, Henderson and Buncombe counties has been acquired in partnership with The Nature Conservancy, the Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy, the Foothills Conservancy of North Carolina and others. In 2007, the former Chimney Rock tourist destination was added to the park and offers the principal current public access.

The final draft master plan can be viewed at www.greenways.com/chimneyrock starting Nov. 29.Written comments may be submitted by using an online comment sheet or by mail. Mail comments to: State Parks Planner, N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation, 1615 MSC, Raleigh, NC 27699-1615.

Thread Killer
    Oh, and no equestrian access is planned.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Not too familiar with the area but it looks like mountain biking didn't fare too well? Hiking trails all over the place and mountain bike trails stuck up in a corner with no firm plans? I was hoping for better??

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight
    Not too familiar with the area but it looks like mountain biking didn't fare too well? Hiking trails all over the place and mountain bike trails stuck up in a corner with no firm plans? I was hoping for better??
    I agree. They have broken the trail development into 3 phases. Phase 1 is hiking trails. Phase 2 is some more hiking trails. Phase 3 is (you guessed it) even more hiking trails. The mtn bike trails are not really part of the plan. It's "recommended" that they work with the local government to have develop the mtn bike trails in a small, out of the way, part of the site. The needs and desires for mtn bike trails are not properly represented in this plan. Mtn bikes have no access to the main features of the park. Very disappointing.

Thread Killer
    I took the time to browse the public comments on the draft that was published this summer. While pro-mountain bike comments were plentiful, hikers and rock climbers seemed to have a better presence -- more thought out, reasoned answers vs. simply "more mountain biking please."

If I remember correctly, Weed Patch Mountain was the only part that was going to ever include riding, and Woody went to the open forum and discussed those possibilities at the time. Chimney Rock Park - Master Plan INPUT!!! HELPP!!!

As he noted in that thread, climbers were out in force at the open house, and the post-event comments via the web site didn't do much to steer the trails further south, I'm afraid.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    I left comments and also emailed Chuck at Greenways, Inc. to see what was up. His reasoning was the fragile ecosystem couldn't support bike trails. My follow up about 3 stages of hiking trails criss-crossing the entire property has so far gone unanswered.

I do like the "we maybe recommend the possibility of the opportunity to look into the ability to maybe pair up with Lake Lure to see if bike trails could possibly be planned in the future somewhere in the most remote corner of the project......"

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Weed Patch is ridiculously inaccessible. While it would actually be best to be out of sight of the general public and traffic, there is an epic amount of terrain they are SHUTTING OFF to mountain bikes. They could literally make the entire descent from the pinnacle of Shumont wind down from it to what is known as Party Rock and then back over to Weed Patch for what would be a truly EPIC 20+ miles of unhindered singletrack. There are multiple descent paths down from the top of Shumont.

Just criss crossing the old jeep road down the spine alone would result in a 30-40 minutes worth of descending. I may write my comments and have Woody proof read them before submitting to keep from sounding too extreme.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    In my experience Chuck Flink is not a friend of Mountain Bikers. He doesn't get contracts by including uses that the state frowns upon.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by frontierwolf
    In my experience Chuck Flink is not a friend of Mountain Bikers. He doesn't get contracts by including uses that the state frowns upon.
    The fact that SORBA was mentioned in the project info is a great thing in my opinion. We all just really have to work it. If Upstate SORBA could chip in too, since Spartanburg is a 45 minute drive away, that would cool.
    I am not a "Role Model"

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch
    If Upstate SORBA could chip in too, since Spartanburg is a 45 minute drive away, that would cool.

That's funny Butch ( cleaning spewed coffee off monitor ) we can even get volunteers to come out to Paris to trail work events / races and that is 6 miles from the center of town... good luck with that one