mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Charlotte whitewater center trails

Can you ride these trails anytime? Wondering if it is dependent on the water running at the center. I have a meeting in Charlotte tomoroww and will have a couple hours of daylight to ride and wanted to check them out.
    I have ridden them a few years ago, have they changed?

Thanks,

Beau

drunken pirate
    My understanding is that the trails are open during the hours the park is open. They do close them after rain though. The park doesn't close until 7 or 8 so it is also a good place to get a night ride in

I didn't ride the trails before the Whitewater center was built so I don't know how much has changed but I do know there have been changes. 9 miles of trails are now open.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Catawba Trails

You can ride the trails any time during daylight hours for sure, regardless of whether the park is running or not. Night riding I'm not sure about. About half of the old Catawba trail system (and unfortuneately, the better half, IMO) got bulldozed to build the whitewater park, but the other half remains. There is a map board at the trailhead now, so once you get to the parking lot you can see for yourself which trails are still there.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by tcookson
    About half of the old Catawba trail system (and unfortuneately, the better half, IMO) got bulldozed to build the whitewater park, but the other half remains.
    A remarkably substantial amount of the old trail is still there. They recently opened up the "North Loop" and I don't really miss the trails that are gone (that much). Sure they were nice, but we have so much good stuff left it is really hard to not get a good ride in.
    (riding Catawba since 96, and couldn't be happier with how it is now)

Check the kiosk at the parking lot to get a good idea on where to go. When you descend off the back of the lot you'll see signs for the North and South Loops. I would hit the N Loop first as it flows nicely into the S Loop. BTW: The parking lot has moved since the good old days.

From Charlotte, go south on I-85, take the Sam Wilson exit. Take the first left on to Performance Rd. Follow Performance to Moores Chapel Rd and turn right. Turn at the second left onto Hawfield. Follow the gravel road into the southeastern corner of the parking lot. Trail starts at the kiosk.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Go make a difference
    Rich,
    Catawba's open again? That's great news! Gives you guys some local elevation again!

~Charles
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    How is the DS course there? Is it over grown or has any one been working on it?
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info.

Beau

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    DS course has not been touched for over two years......it's pretty beat.

Always call ahead to make sure Catawba is open.....the USNWC closes the trail now if it is too wet to ride. Call 704-391-3900 and an automated system will tell you if it's open.

mtbr member
    The trails only lost 1.5 miles of the old stuff, and it was the last 1.5 miles that was built. Not my favorite section, either. The reconnect to the North trails added back about half as much as we lost, and gave us a new hill climb ("the elevator"). We're working Saturday to bring the Figure 8 closer to being open again. Right now, the full trail is about 9 miles with all options.

The trail is open today, and will most likely be open through the weekend. It closes after rains.

From the kiosk, take the North trails to the south trails. TD's right, that's the best flow.

You can pretty much ride until 8:00 pm, as long as the trails aren't closed due to rain. They will start locking the gate soon, as early as 8:00, or as late as the restaurant is open (once it opens, around the first of the year).

Check www.tarheeltrailblazers.com front page for open/closed status.

Edit: Oh yeah, the DS course is ridable. I've seen some kids out there riding. I'm not sure about the the very bottom section, but it wouldn't take much to clear that brush.
    mtbchk.blog.com
    www.dirtdivas.net
    www.tarheeltrailblazers.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by tcookson
    You can ride the trails any time during daylight hours for sure, regardless of whether the park is running or not. Night riding I'm not sure about. About half of the old Catawba trail system (and unfortuneately, the better half, IMO) got bulldozed to build the whitewater park, but the other half remains. There is a map board at the trailhead now, so once you get to the parking lot you can see for yourself which trails are still there.
    The Point Trail - Open
    Trail of Joy - Open
    Carpet Trail - Open
    Goat Hill - Open
    River Trail - Open
    Weigh Station Loop - A little crispy, but Open
    Toilet Bowl - Open
    Elevator Trail (New) - Open
    DS - still there, needs some work
    Figure 8 - working on connecting back to it

Not sure where you are getting your facts. Please check before posting wrong information as factual. There are lots of people working together to reconnect the trail system and we want people to come out and enjoy it, not stay away because someone posted that it was ruined. The whitewater park could not have been put in a better location to save all of the good trails. Much of what was lost was unremarkable. One small section that I liked is not in the current loop, but not because it is gone, just because we can't figure out how to incorporate it. Maybe it can be an out and back.

Thank You,

Brian

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Things must have changed...

Only the South side trails were open when I was there last, and no northern trails were shown on the map at the trailhead so I assumed they were all gone.

I miss the big whoop-de-doo, and the rocky climb right after it, as well as the long downhill that reminded me of Tsali. If, as you say, that stuff is still there, then I'll enjoy it more when I'm there next. The carpet trail is okay, but the rest of the southern trails leave something to be desired. At least as far as I'm concerned.

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    I road Catawba last weekend and I can honestly say that is the best shape that trail has been in a long time. It rained a few days prior and it drained great! My hats off to any of you joining in to keep that place tip-top!