mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Charlotte relocation possibility...help needed!

Hi All,

I've browsed thru this forum and found a few things that are helpful to me, but would prefer some more advice from some of the locals.

If I were to move to the Charlotte area, my job would likely be in Salisbury, and the GF's would be in Charlotte. Would Concord be the best location to satisfy both riding and commute times? It looks like Mooresville might also be good, but I have heard about high traffic around that area since it's close to the lake. I am not looking at house buying (would be renting), so house prices are not a concern to me. I have never been to NC at all (hopefully going to make it down there in a month or two).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm located in Concord and it's about 25 minutes into downtown Charlotte and the same into Salisbury. If traffic blows, add 10 minutes minimum. Also, in Concord, you're 15-45 minutes from at least 10 different trail systems. Be sure to check in here for more info about the local mtb scene and all you need to find our awesome trails around the area.
    I really like the Concord (Cabarrus County) area. Been down here (from NY) for 17 years. Lots to offer, not the higher taxes of Charlotte, and easy to get just about anywhere from here. If you need more info when you start apartment hunting, hit me up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Plenty of places to ride whether you decide on Salisbury or Mooresville. You can be in Salisbury from Mooresville in 25 minutes. If you do move just make sure that you rent in either Cabarrus or Iredell county not Mecklenburg county. The taxes are significantly higher the closer to Charlotte you get. I have lived here my whole life so if I can help let me know.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by joverman View Post
    If you do move just make sure that you rent in either Cabarrus or Iredell county not Mecklenburg county. The taxes are significantly higher the closer to Charlotte you get.
    He said he is renting so taxes won't matter.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    thanks again everyone, very helpful info!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    He said he is renting so taxes won't matter.
    You still have sales taxes which are higher in the Charlotte area and property taxes. So they do matter if he has a car.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by joverman View Post
    You still have sales taxes which are higher in the Charlotte area and property taxes. So they do matter if he has a car.
    Yes, sales tax is a whopping 1/2% more so for every $1000 you spend a month you will pay $5 additional dollars a month in sales tax.

Your vehicle taxes although depending on the value of your vehicle will vary but won't be that much. Shouldn't really be a game changer for most people especially if they want to live in the city.
    Last edited by kjlued; 01-05-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Robtre
    Ahh as it pertains to rent, I do believe that higher real estate taxes will yield higher rent prices, not to mention location location location. Then factor in supply vs. demand. Cabarrus Co. is a great place. Iredell Co. is even better although I live in Cabarrus Co. Great selection of urban area trails nearby, awesome selection of regional trails.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Ahh as it pertains to rent, I do believe that higher real estate taxes will yield higher rent prices, not to mention location location location. Then factor in supply vs. demand.
    Yeah but that is an obvious upfront charge that I think anyone would be aware of prior to making a decision of where to move. I think anyone knows that if they rent within a city they can expect to pay more for less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I live in CLT and can attest to the high taxes (relative to other areas).

Come on down, can't beat the weather (well, it's not AZ or SoCal). Lots of local trail options and some great day trips.
    1997 Stumpy M2 Comp
    2011 Trek Fuel EX9
    Shopping for carbon wunderbike

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Get across the border into SC if you don't want to pay NEAR the same tax rate. At the very least avoid the Charlotte city limits which pretty much at this point means avoid 90% of Mecklenburg County. I've lived in Cabarrus County and now live in Gaston County...both great options to avoid the tax suck. Anywhere I live I avoid city limits though....just more dumb taxes that in the end provide you nothing.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I am also planning to relocate to Charlotted in August. I live in San Diego now and while I love the weather here just about everything else here sucks. I make 76K a year and I am barely scraping by. Lucky for me my company has an office in Charlotte, so my paycheck will go alot further there.

Here in SD we have been losing trail access to development and we have seen lots of trails simply closed due to "environmental" concerns. Most of this has been driven by certain equestrian groups that simply hate bikers. They try to get us banned from trails from Sacremento to San Diego. Some of you may have even heard of Mike Vandemann, the saw wielding bike hater or you may have seen websites like Parkwatchreport.org and trailkillerz.org.

My question is, do you guys have the same type of rabid anti-mtb groups standing in your way everytime you want to add a new trail? Have you been banned from established trails? Are local equestrians backstabbing you every chance they get?

I can't wait to get over there and start getting involved with trailwork. I only managed to do 5 trailwork days here last year but I hope to do more once I relocate.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    dude why dont you hook up with the GRAVITY PIRATES? If you're still bent on coming here, don't worry, there's an "east" chapter. if awesome wooden features are more your style, be sure to check in with charlottewoodsriders.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    dude why dont you hook up with the GRAVITY PIRATES? If you're still bent on coming here, don't worry, there's an "east" chapter. if awesome wooden features are more your style, be sure to check in with charlottewoodsriders.com
    What he means Tarheel TrailBlazers Charlotte's Premier Mountain Bike Club . We don't have crazy idiots like Mike Vandemann anywhere near here so no worries from the department. In fact that dude wouldn't make it 1 month pulling that kinda crap out here. I heard he was found guilty of all/most charges. He gonna do some jail time, hopefully?

BTW Jonboy, that URL is up for NON-renewal.